Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got off work tonight and start my car and all i hear is a loud ticking noise. almost sounded as if u were to pull a spark plug with the motor on and u could hear the spark. well i pop the hood and turn the flashlight on and see that my serpentine belt is coming apart on the right side. well needless to say, i didnt drive home cause i didnt want it to snap completly with my 20 mile trip. now i just replaced the alternator this past friday, and its a higher output one. the pulley on it is just a TAD bit larger than the stock one. ive had the belt replaced about 2 years ago also. my question is, since the pulley is a lil bigger, could that be puttin more stress on the belt and causing it to wear quick? and do they sell a belt thats just a wee bit bigger? or is their a way to adjust the tensioner pulley so if that is the problem, it wont cause so much stress on the belt? a buddy of mine is gonna pick me up and we r gonna go back up to my work and fix it in the morning.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't think so.

More likely, you didn't have the belt positioned properly and it was running over the edge of one of the pullys somewhere.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
yeah if you hit a puddle hard or just over time.
the tensioner should take care of that tad over size problem. they are spring loaded so they can auto adjust

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^yeah see thats what i thought. i told my buddy the pulley on the alt. was a lil bigger and he told me that MIGHT be a problem. just wanted to try and clear that up. so i can just get a regular sized belt and be fine? i dont wanna be chewin through belts. lol. i just went over 80k miles and it seems problems are starting to arise!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts