Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to replace a 2001 Ford Focus LX SOHC alternator and serpentine belt. I stopped by carquest and picked up a 6K529 belt, that when searched on eBay brings up a belt that appears to be right for the car as it does not have A/C. The belt and alternator are being replaces as the alternator pulley froze and ate the belt. After changes the alternator and putting the new belt on to match the diagrams that I have found there is still a considerable amount of free play in the belt, enough that it would not work. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only seems a TINY bit too long, didn't know if there was anything that could affect it being that little off other than the belt. Do you know the correct routing diagram I could check it against? I am 99.9% sure it is correct, but I still have that little bit of slack.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Take the belt to a good auto parts store and have them give you a slightly smaller belt.

Problem solved.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Are you sure you are putting the belt on correctly?

I haven't done one on a SOHC. But on the DOHC, if you put it on wrong (which is easy to do I might add, if you are not familiar) the belt will have alot of play.

How about your Tensioner ... is it still good?

-Ray-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure you are putting the belt on correctly?

I haven't done one on a SOHC. But on the DOHC, if you put it on wrong (which is easy to do I might add, if you are not familiar) the belt will have alot of play.

How about your Tensioner ... is it still good?

-Ray-
The tensioner works when a wrench is put on it, and the belt appears to be routed correctly, though I have only been able to find a single diagram that looks to be the SOHC. I wouldn't say there is ALOT of play, but just enough that the belt would slip on the pulleys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just dug out the belt that was on it, which was a "25060500 - NAPA". The belt on it when googled is 3" shorter than the one carquest gave me, though the one on it says that it will not fit a Focus, any ideas?

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Weird ...

Well if the belt you got it 3" shorter than your old one, you definitely need to get the right one that is the same length to start.

-Ray-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The belt that was on it shows to be for a 2004 Ford Focus engine, the car I bought is deff a 2001 though had that belt on it. I intend to just buy the shorter belt and install it, but what is the difference between the 2001 and 2004 belt setups, is it possible that a pulley or the entire engine was changed, making it need the shorter belt?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts