Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm starting to do some serious thinking about modding the 4.6L mustang TB. I've read the how-to and I know what one I should be looking for. My girlfriend's dad has a garage full of tools and he's usually very handy with mechanics. He's not very car savvy, but he has built machines from scratch that are much more complicated.

I dunno, the mustang TB's are very very cheap compared to the BDR ones so right now I'm debating whether or not the hassel is worth saving $200. Right now I'm leaning much more towards saving the money and going with the mustang TB.

Has anyone here done this before and have any further pointer beyond the how-to on focushacks.com? (I'm not really getting what they mean when you are supposed to put tape over the hole then drill through the tape? [8] )

·
Registered
34 Posts
i'd be interested in this mod too, as i have much more mechanical ability than i do money

·
Registered
461 Posts
myfordfocus.com has a tutorial, hope this helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got one off ebay for 25$, should be comming next week, I'll give a writeup if sucessfull.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ did you buy a stock one? they also have 70mm and 75mm for aftermarket ones too.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dazda doesn't read [read]
[neener] [neener] poo poo

·
Registered
461 Posts
yeah my bad I must've been confused, it was probably just the same focushacks tutorial or something ... if you're successful and it's not too much trouble, you should sell them to our SPI community! I could be your manager and would only request 10% ; )

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had questions, but they don't need answering now

After doing some checking on the Focaljet forums it seems we may be out of luck. The adapters were something he made and he only made a few of them.

Engineering such a piece shouldn't be too hard, but it adds to the hassle of the swap. And unless you have access to a machine shop, the tapering of the plenum from the mustang tb size down to the size of the stock focus intake manifold might be a tad on the tricky side.

imho not worth the hassle, if such an adapter was availible for purchase i would be all over it

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
G-dammit! I dont understand why you can't just use the mustang plate, it the holes are aligned... well what if you sealed the plate to the TB so no air escapes... I don't see how it would anyhow.

And it you had to reduce the 65MM hole back down to fit the SPI would that just make the whole concept useless, aside from not having to use a reducer on a zetec intake?

There's got to be some answers here. Next trip to the junkyard I'm going to try and through a mustang and a zetec TB in my bag and study them. There has to be some similarities to the zetec one, honestly how different could it be?

This is so frustrating. Has anyone even tried modifying a zetec one? usually people just say it doesnt fit, but has anyone done extensive testing on it?

While I'm on this I'd like to know the deal with MAF, I hear you can use a crown vic one, well probly any ford one that is the same design for that matter. Would the crown vic or mustang whatever one be an improvement over ours? and would I need to tune my ECU? If it's just a matter of MAF housing diameter then thats useless to me since my MAF no longer needs a housing.

If there really is no hope, what about porting the SPI's TB anyone ever done that? I would have no idea where to start but I love to learn new things.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
03_SPI_sedan said:
This is so frustrating. Has anyone even tried modifying a zetec one? usually people just say it doesnt fit, but has anyone done extensive testing on it?
If your going to modify the Zetec throttle body, you might as well just find a 65mm aftermarket throttle body for the Zetec and modify that. Just spend the $250 and get you a BDR 60mm throttle body.

·
Registered
34 Posts
03_SPI_sedan said:
And it you had to reduce the 65MM hole back down to fit the SPI would that just make the whole concept useless, aside from not having to use a reducer on a zetec intake?
for performance probably (hp numbers), but the creator of such mod said it was for throttle response alone.

If you were going to be fancy you could try porting the intake manifold to be a little larger, but it was already tried and can't be done very much larger.

Other than that there is getting someone to custom make an intake manifold from scratch....take the intake port dimensions and bolt locations and make a new flange, then take the tb mount size and bolt spacing off a mustang. But unless you are force feeding the motor designing a new intake manifold could prove disasterous to power production. I have no metalworking skills other than for steel, and i imagine a hefty steel peice would negate any positive effects even if i could engineer such a peice to be more efficient than the stocker. And doesn't the stock one have different length ports and all that jazz to aid power production? or is that in the cylinder head?

Either way, if you could make an intake that would allow you to put a 65mm throttle body on it, or the bdr one a kind of dual bolt pattern setup i'm sure you could sell a few of them, just if you could recoup your costs for design and production of them....

I'd be interested, but like i said, all i can metalwork is steel.......[:eek:]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts