Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I need to get some opinions regarding a serious suspension issue that my brother's 2000 Focus is having. At speeds of 40mph+, the back end shifts violently from side to side and it nearly causes the car to go off the road. We took it to the dealership and they gave an estimate of $702 to repair the rear suspension. I suspect that it is worn bushings, but the dealer wants to replace the rear arm assembly, etc. My questions are: 1) Where's the best place online to buy Focus parts at a good price and 2) Is this much work really necessary, or is the dealer merely trying to pad the repair bill. (See attachments)

Thanks.

Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
You took it directly to Ford?

That's mistake number one!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
is it only over bumps or is it when you are driving normally, i have been in a focus with one bad rear strut and when it would compress on large freeway bumps it would make it bounce to the side pretty violently, scary to drive!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Old thread, I know...
but did you ever resolve this problem?
Experiencing the same on my '03. Have had the rear end looked at by 4 different mechanics who all say the bushings are fine. Just replaced rear shocks and bearings. Tightened it up a bit, but still does the wallowing in turns thing.
The car has also had a 'clunck' noise coming from the rear whenever going over bumps, and as the noise worsens, the wallowing seems to as well.
Thoughts?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Old thread, I know...
but did you ever resolve this problem?
Experiencing the same on my '03. Have had the rear end looked at by 4 different mechanics who all say the bushings are fine. Just replaced rear shocks and bearings. Tightened it up a bit, but still does the wallowing in turns thing.
The car has also had a 'clunck' noise coming from the rear whenever going over bumps, and as the noise worsens, the wallowing seems to as well.
Thoughts?
Clunk coming from the rear, Have you checked the top shock mounts?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check the shock mounts, a crack in it could be the cause of your problem!, like what's also said, see if your wheels need re-aligned, if the camber is out then that could be part of the problem also I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the shock mounts, a crack in it could be the cause of your problem!, like what's also said, see if your wheels need re-aligned, if the camber is out then that could be part of the problem also I think.
Dumb question...
Is the camber adjustable on the rear?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Just toe.

If your car has a rear swaybar, make sure the bushings that hold it to the subframe are in good shape. If those bushings are worn, the bar can clunk inside of them going over bumps that cause the different sides of the suspension to move at different rates. Check the links too.

Did you replace the shocks yourself? I am assuming new upper bushings (mounts) were used as they come with the new shocks but if the locknut on the top of the shock isn't fully tightened down, compressing the bushings, a clunk will occur.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts