Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my three year anniversary since I purchased my MK3 Focus with the Sports Package and DCT.

Without writing a long post, I'll just point out the highlights:

1. The car still has that "sporty" feel that I fell in love with when I first purchased the car. To me, it still drives like a car that is in a higher class than what it really is.

2. I love the feel of the steering even though it is electronic. It doesn't feel like a toy compared to other cars in its class (Elantra comes to mind).

3. Sync for whatever reason, stopped giving me problems and works almost flawlessly for me. When I first purchased the car, I would periodically get the "Index full" message or would otherwise get a voice command telling me that voice activated commands are not available for my device (ipod classic). However, it has been over two years since that has happened.

4. The interior has held up quite well. The only thing that is in dire need of replacing is the driver side floor mat. Everything else is in great condition.

5. Fuel economy is also great. If I do all city driving (no highway), I get easily 28 MPG or more. A combination of city or highway driving gets me in the low to low-mid thirties and all highway driving gets me very close to 40 MPG.

Other than replacing the battery, I have had no issues with the engine. Overall, I am happy with the car.

Some of the flaws are as follows:

1. The sync text messaging is annoying. Whenever I get a text message, the car mutes out for a few seconds, switches to phone mode to notify me that I've received a text message then goes back to whatever setting I had before the text was received. It doesn't allow me to immediate hear the text however and I find this rather annoying. Cars equipped with MFT get a pop up window and a bell noise advising that a text was received. I like that alert better.

2. My driver side door creeks. To be fair, the door started squeaking a year ago so I have learned to live with it.

3. The tire pressure sensor does not tell you which tire needs more air. Even if one tire is low on air the TPS light comes on and its up to you to figure out which one needs air.

4. The chrome on my steering wheel is starting to peel on the left hand. not major but it is noticeable to me.

5. I always close the trunk of my hatch with my left hand. Lately I've been noticing that the hinge on the left hand side is a little bit looser than the hinge on the right hand side of the trunk. I will probably have to take it in to the dealer to have it tightened up.

6. Last but not least, I had the TSB performed on the tranny. Mind you this was a year ago and everything has been running beautifully since, but I still felt like I had to give the car a "ding" for that. I am not worried about it however, and am especially not worried since the extended warranty was announced.

Overall, I feel that this has been a great purchase for me and I hope to keep this car for another 7+ years.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
2. My driver side door creeks. To be fair, the door started squeaking a year ago so I have learned to live with it.

3. The tire pressure sensor does not tell you which tire needs more air. Even if one tire is low on air the TPS light comes on and its up to you to figure out which one needs air.

4. The chrome on my steering wheel is starting to peel on the left hand. not major but it is noticeable to me.

5. I always close the trunk of my hatch with my left hand. Lately I've been noticing that the hinge on the left hand side is a little bit looser than the hinge on the right hand side of the trunk. I will probably have to take it in to the dealer to have it tightened up.
2. LUBE LUBE LUBE! (also don't forget to spray your weather strips with silicone spray to prevent them to stick to the doors and get damaged)

3. TPMS is not perfect and its only to tell that you have pressure trouble... DO NOT WAIT FOR IT TO COME ON TO INFLATE TIRES!!! Always check your tires and engine oil periodically, don't wait until damage has been done! At least once a month do a quick check (burned lights,tires wear & pressure, engine oil & leaks, coolant fluid & leaks (no sensor on this one!) etc

4. This is a common problem got it replaced for free from my dealer.It's part of the airbag assembly they need to swap for a new one.

5. Could be the rear trunk shock leaking.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Three years with mine and the only thing I really really miss is how the steering used to behave at higher speeds. The electronic steering used to tighten up when you were on interstate and it made long trips way less irritating. When I started going in for MFT and Tranny updates they took away that great steering. MFT was a mistake. Glad to see how error free an SE would have been though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Three years with mine and the only thing I really really miss is how the steering used to behave at higher speeds. The electronic steering used to tighten up when you were on interstate and it made long trips way less irritating. When I started going in for MFT and Tranny updates they took away that great steering. MFT was a mistake. Glad to see how error free an SE would have been though.
Only two years (this week) with mine, and 33k on it now, purchased new in 2012. Haven't noticed anything up with the steering.

Been happy with MFT since the last update to 3.6.2

DCT been fine

·
Registered
747 Posts
Only two years (this week) with mine, and 33k on it now, purchased new in 2012. Haven't noticed anything up with the steering.

DCT been fine
It was changed before you got yours

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
That's a great write up vs a lot of negative ones lately. Surprised you replaced your battery so soon. I've had my car for 10 yrs, last June & replaced the battery in '10.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

DCT been fine
Funny because you drive a 2012 and my 2013 was built on 2012/09/02 and delivred on 2012/09/22 haha...mine turned 2 years old also ! Problem free except a leaking gasket (replaced under warranty), the suspension noise (TSB fixed it, for now after 5000 KM) and one door seal will need to be replaced when I go for my oil change (it's cracked). Everything's been perfect for now !

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Funny because you drive a 2012 and my 2013 was built on 2012/09/02 and delivred on 2012/09/22 haha...
Could be you have a early '13 vs his late build '12. Maybe days apart.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A year ago I purchased "Henry" which had a build date of 10Aug'13. No real problems with the car except with the dealer installed remote car started which was fixed promptly by the dealer. I remain pleased with the car, which I call a German car built in Michigan. It has all the EU-style handling qualities that I enjoy and is comfortable both to me and my wife. And comfortable on my wallet as well as I have been averaging 38 mpg (US) for a good part of the summer in mixed driving. A friend, although already a Ford man, bought a near twin to mine and we compare notes. He is happy with his as well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny because you drive a 2012 and my 2013 was built on 2012/09/02 and delivred on 2012/09/22 haha...mine turned 2 years old also ! Problem free except a leaking gasket (replaced under warranty), the suspension noise (TSB fixed it, for now after 5000 KM) and one door seal will need to be replaced when I go for my oil change (it's cracked). Everything's been perfect for now !
My car, although it is labeled a 2012, was actually built in August 2011. I bought the car back on September 2011 (for the 2012 year).

The car has been holding up quite well for me. I am also glad that I purchased the sports package as I love the seats and the black 17" rims. The rims highlights the piano black trim on the car quite well. My car is race red and I like the red and black contrast throughout.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Mine was built in May 2011.
No repairs necessary so far.
The only gripe is the front end suspension noise.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In mid August of this year I bought my 2013 SE hatchback (build date May 1, 2013) used with 33,415 miles on it. It had been a rental car before my dealer got it. Other than warped brake rotors (I had new pads and rotors installed all around), the car has been great - there are no DCT issues or other problems at all. According to Ford ETIS, the only outstanding TSB or recall is the new DCT TSB.

A a side note, I drove a used 2013 Focus sedan with 37,000 miles on it before I bought mine, and it had no DCT problems either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts