Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
This surprises me as well! Especially considering all the new Foci I'm seeing. With so few sales, all the ones I'm seeing must be test drives or stolen cars! [:0]

·
Registered
155 Posts
From the article:

"But the company continued to be dogged by its inability to completely supply demand for the Ford Focus compact. Focus sales were down by 24 percent compared with a year ago, and for the year to date, Focus sales have increased by only 2 percent. Executives described the shortfall as entirely stemming from tight inventories. “Inventories in September were tight compared with a year ago, and that continued as we made the transition to the new model,” Czubay explained. “But there’s been a ramp-up of production over the last several months, and as we fill our pipeline, [Focus] stocks should be up where we want them. We will have a good month in October."

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Every Ford dealer I pass by has at least a dozen in the lot...Brighton Ford probably has 30 or so.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My experience as well. If there was one on the lot in July, it was a lot.
Haven't stopped to see what trim levels the local shops are stocking.
Moon

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have been by my dealer every couple of weeks and they never have more than a couple. My salesman said they still cannot get what they want. I know auto mfgs are running lean with little excess capacity but I think Ford is missing the positive wave generated this spring by good reviews and heavy promotion including American Idol etc. I bet there were a lot of potential buys who just moved on to an Elantra or Cruize because there was better inventory to choose from.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Every Ford dealer I pass by has at least a dozen in the lot...Brighton Ford probably has 30 or so.
You have to remember, you're in the Motor City, back in Deeetroit (my hometown Livonia!) You're going to see a mass handful at every dealership. I live down here in Central Florida now...you'd be lucky to see two....ifffffff not maaaaybe three new focus's in a dealer's lot. They are "scarce" down here...[confused] That's why I had to order mine. If I were back home in Michigan, I could pick the one I wanted off the lot.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think the name Focus is holding it back. It's hard to get folks on board with an old name.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I think the name Focus is holding it back. It's hard to get folks on board with an old name.
I agree. I told some friends "I bought an O-twelve Focus." and they say something like "I'm sorry."

But the friends that see it first and then ask, "What kind of car is this?" And I say "The new Focus." They say, "Really?" [80?]

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is no shortage in MA/NH. There are about 4 dealers I check out and the smaller dealers have ~5 cars, the large one ~10-15.

By the way, does it seem that other mfr's (like, say, VW) have a much easier time launching cars? I'm already seeing Beetle inventories rising and that just came out. The Jetta launch was also done very well.

Ford had mucho trouble with the Fiesta launch, and while the Focus launch seems to have been a lot smoother, I am very surprised that they don't have every dealer fully stocked. I'm not sure I buy Corporate's 'inventory-restricted sales' line, though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It was difficult to buy a car sight unseen. I got a number of test hops in less equipped versions of the SEL that's now in the garage. If you can't test what you'll get, and you have to wait to get it, it's not a help in making a sale.
Moon

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is no shortage in MA/NH. There are about 4 dealers I check out and the smaller dealers have ~5 cars, the large one ~10-15.
That's misleading about MA/NH. I've spent the last month and a half zooming through the region's inventories at newenglandford.com and most had, maybe, a small handful of the base trim. (A decent number of Titaniums, actually, but the middle trims were REALLY hard to find.)

I talked to a bunch of dealers in MA and CT, and only one of the larger dealers in Agawam had any kind of stock. There was one dealer who got in a couple of SE trims the week before I found the one I wanted, and they were on the lot for about two hours. (I saw one of them arrive and go in person.) They simply couldn't get any - or keep any - in stock. I got mine as a stock swap with a dealer in CT a few hours away, and me and my dealer went up and down the cars in his inventory system to find THAT one.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It seems like I'm seeing a 2012 Focus every day now in Austin. Kona Blue and Yellow Blaze seem to be the rare colors as I have only seen one of each so far.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It was difficult to buy a car sight unseen. I got a number of test hops in less equipped versions of the SEL that's now in the garage. If you can't test what you'll get, and you have to wait to get it, it's not a help in making a sale.
Moon
Exactly, well said. It's competitive out there and if you are not a Ford enthusiast, you are just going to walk away from a model that you can't even look at or test something close to the model you seek. The only reason I bought is because I had done a bazillion hours of research and many buyers do not do that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It looks like the dealers are getting more inventory now (mostly SE models), so it may have a better showing in October.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm hoping that not many people buy them, It gives you a sort of exclusivity driving a nice car that not many peole have. Around here all you see is tons of polos and hundays and toyotas. Who wants to drive those ? not me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Of all the dealers here in St. Louis, most only have two or three at the max, and the ones that have more there all the SE. We had order ours, because we wanted the SEL with the 303A package and there were only two in our region. One in Kansas City the other in Paducah Kentucky. Both were not in the color we wanted.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Ford can sell more but doesn't have the product to sell.. The factory is working full bore but cn't turn out enuf foci to meet demand.
That said... what up w/ th 3% increase for sentra... Ick.. americans do like driving appliances.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts