Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Semi-Stealth DIY GPS Mount for Focus.

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Webology 
#1 ·
This could probably be adapted to fit other models, but it is an easy install on an '06. The idea is to avoid any wind-shield mounting, and not to touch the dash with Velcro or adhesives. The only attachment point.....a square of Velcro over the passenger seat-belt light. Without the GPS installed, everything looks stock. This new bracket sets the GPS at the same angle as the audio unit, and somewhat protected from the sun. I'm experimenting with different sun-blocking screens....the one in the photo works pretty well. I stained the wood bracket after I took the photos. This is my first attempt with such a device....but I think it'll be ok as is.

See less See more
#2 ·
I experimented with different sized sun-shades, and settled on this one. It's attached to the wood with screws....and made from three plastic pieces, painted flat black. The GPS is attached to the wood with two Velcro strips. It detaches from the mount in a flash....allowing you to use the stock windshield mount if you want. I'm going to change the angle of the screen slightly, making it more vertical. Going great so far.

#4 ·
Yeah there's only so much you can do with these things.......and retain full visibility. This 3.5" size doesn't block off much of the vents....and gives me a good view. That last photo was from my line of sight.

The sun thing is a bother.....there are certain times of the day when the screen is less visible, but that's another thing that's almost unavoidable. In any case this mount was made from small pieces I had lying around, so it didn't cost anything. [cool]

#5 ·
I dunno if I like thart mounting spot... but thats just me... My in dash DVD player screen is usually right there I want to build something out of plastic and cut the top of the dash apart to make it look like the GPS came with the car that would be awesome...

#6 ·
I wouldn't want to take the dash off, or cut a hole in it. You could buy a custom black carpeted dash cover.....make a housing similar to this one, and cover it with matching carpet. That way you could use a bigger GPS that didn't block the vents. The problem with that.....not so stealth.

My main concern was to make a mount that removes without any hassle, and leaves little/no visible evidence that you have anything in the car worth stealing. This is a device for temporary use only....for me. Most of the time it will be out of sight.

#7 ·
Did some more tweaking....I spaced the upper edge of the GPS closer to vertical by about 1/4". I used a set of tapered spacers....DIY of course.

This improves visibility quite a bit. I also redid the velcro mount on the rear....this allows the unit to be adjusted side-to-side by about 3". Where you see it in the next photo is as far to the left as possible.....any further to the left, and your hand/arm will block your view of the screen. This location is excellent....at the same level as the speedometer, and about 1-2" closer to your eyes. I can't think of a better place to locate it.....this small (3.5") GPS is very easy to see, compared to the mount that came with it.

#8 ·
Here's the fancier version of this little invention.....using the same attachment from the first photos. I added a swivel mount between the platform and the GPS unit.

This part came from a cell-phone dash mount that I had in a junk box.....don't know the brand. I imagine you could find something similar, easy enough. This makes the GPS screen instantly adjustable, to compensate for various angles of the sun. Much better visibility.

Anybody want to buy the patent rights? [thankyou]

#13 ·
So all of that is being held on by one small piece of velcro? I would think after taking it off and replacing it about one time and that velcro won't hold worth a damn anymore. I dunno, I just put mine on the lowermost left corner of the windshield, personally.

#16 ·
^^^^^Shepski's mount looks nice, and very similar to mine, with no doubt the same adjustment capability. Had I seen it before I made my setup, I might have bought one.

Since I posted this project, I made a few changes.....I added a twin-power outlet under the glove-box, so the wiring is much less visible, but still easily removed for security purposes.

The Velcro mount.....if you get the right kind of Velcro, it's almost permanent. But with this mount, almost the entire weight is resting on the dash ledge. The Velcro just locates it, and keeps it from moving around or vibrating. And I also placed another Velcro square over the 4-way flasher button, for a slightly better grip. And I'm now using that mount position for a back-up camera monitor, which I've been playing with. The GPS unit is only used occasionally, and both units can be swapped around easily.

#17 ·
^^ Yeah, wasn't trying to jack your thread, just posting that up for people who were being critical/skeptical of your mount (since the one I bought is a quick, easy, and cheap alternative). But I certainly admire you for taking the time and effort to actually MAKE something unique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.