Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a tough time figuring out what to do, if this is against the rules for some reason please delete it.

A year ago I bought an 02 Sonic Blue SVT. 2dr, low milage, excellent history. Literally a month or two after I bought the car we found out second baby was on his way. Well, little man is here now, and putting the two boys in car seats in the back of the 2dr is quite the task.

I have it for sale locally, but need it gone. Have been on the forum for a few months but just haven't posted much thinking I would finally be able to brag once I knew more about these cars and could put some money into mine. Lots of new parts, and great daily driver, but heres my question.

Looking around I have found I can get 500-750 for bumpers and skirts, 500-1000 for my 5 and 15 spoke wheels (SVT), 2-3k for trans, engine, clutch. Puts me around 3k-4500 and would still have a shell minus bumpers. The car is listed at 45 with 115k and had belt pumps etc done around 95k.

As much as I would like to see it leave in one piece, I am wondering if there are some members on here that would be interested in the parts if I went that route? Ive seen a couple posts about motors and bumpers, and plan to start pmng all you focus lovers with wtb threads to see if you all may be interested in anything.

Gotta get this thing gone so I can get the wife and kids into a four door and found "the one" so sooner the better at this point.

Again I am sorry if this is not allowed, just trying to get some insight from anyone who may have been in my situation before. Thanks for reading everyone!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
parting out takes lots of time and space.

with 2 young boys, i would think you dont have much time anymore.

Sell it whole. 4.5k might be high. I sold mine for 3.5k similar mileage, needed a bumper respray.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,081 Posts
If it runs great, don't part it. You won't get $4500 in parts, I guarantee you that.

Maybe about $2500 if that. People will only pay what they want for it all. And they are getting harder to part out, you'll sit on it for 6 months, and still not have it all gone. Popular stuff goes first, as always, the rest sits till someone local needs it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
SPI is right; recently a SVT sold in my area running with the usual front bumper damage and expired registration for $900. With something like this given the age and demand for parts, its best to sell it as whole unit and be done with it. I've done the part out game and while it can be profitable, it takes time and space. With two children to watch over and care for, do you really have either the time or space? Just my two cents...

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Part out is still only practical for a totaled car, and even then you're best off selling the whole thing to someone who wants major parts off it - let them part the remnants.

For one that's supposedly in decent condition, you throw away a lot of the value as soon as the first part is removed/sold.

Even if you had one with a dinged up body and you wanted to part it - the most $ would come from waiting for the right person who needs major parts to come along and inspect it while running. Could be a MUCH longer wait than selling the whole car as a driver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good to know guys, thank you! If I wasn't in such a tight spot financially I'd get the family car and keep this one to build, but not allowed another car in the driveway per city ordinance so would have to store it :( As much as I love it, I won't give it away but I'm lowering price a little otherwise will probably just have to keep racking up miles until the right buyer comes along. Didn't really want to part it, just didn't know if maybe that would be easier if someone(s) happened to be in the market at the moment. Seemed like kind of a stupid question when it's only through half it's life or so but I guess you never know..

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts