Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found that when the car self parks it hits the tire or worse, the rims on the curb? I have done a few self parks and just worry about the rims taking a scuff.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What self parking do is find a spot to park, give you instructions on what to do (Break, put it in R, put it in D) and control the wheel. The rest is your responsability. So, don't worry too much about the rims as long as you control break/speed/positioning. Remember, any computer runs on the GI-GO principle: Garbage In - Garbage Out. If you don't break when you see the car too close to the curb, it is not the car's fault.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine has scuffed its right rear wheel a couple times on irregularly shaped curbs. The system gets VERY close, so its something to watch out for.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I haven't had any curb issues but I'm still trying to sort out what it does and what I need to do . . . I **think** it's up to me to stop. Parking in front of a Bentley yesterday seemed like a poor place to experiment.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have used it several times and it parks about 6-8" from the curb. My only concern is at how close it comes to the R/F corner when parallel parking. Close but never touched.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
My front passenger rim has a few scuffs on it, but I think that's from me turning my wheel to the right to pull out and not realizing how close I was to the curb. On my last car, just the tire would rub against the curb. Oh well, it doesn't look too bad.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, it's just so close with my tries yesterday (4 inches would be generous) that I worried. It's instinct to worry about that Front Passenger side of the car swiping the front car but I am sure that will be fine....but curbs vary so much. I have the black painted rims so a scuff could be a disaster.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I hope you all do know that you can press the break while in R whenever you want, even before the parking system tells you. It will just adjust itself and if put in D, it will turn the wheel to finish the parking action.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've tried the self-park 3x now, but each time I've interrupted it as it was cutting the front of the car back in as I was afraid that the Front Right bumper was going to scrape the Rear Left bumper of the car in front. I may have been overly cautious but I didn't want to find out the hard way if I was right. I'll be trying it out on a quiet street with some pylons and my wife recording it just to verify how close the car is actually coming.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
NorthernFocalPoint, where your senzors beeping continuously or not ? Where you on the "Red" zone on your backup camera ? And be assured, I used the system even in the "tightest" conditions and the car performed flawless. If only MFT would be half good as the parking system is, Ford would have an A+ car on the market.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine is always real close, probably about 4 inches from the curb. I backup very slowly (mostly pressing the brake, no accel) and the only time it scuffed the wheel was on a VERY irregular curb, it curves in and has an irregular height.

Overall I think the system does a great job, better than I've ever done.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hmmm - can't recall if the beeps were the more "serious" ones or the initial beeps but it just seemed to be way too close to the front car's rear bumper when I was backing in. Rear camera zone was in the clear, just the front of the car looked like it was cutting back into the spot way too close to the rear of the car in front.

Like I said though, it could just have been me being overly cautious as I'm used to driving a smaller hatchback with a shorter front end.

NorthernFocalPoint, where your senzors beeping continuously or not ? Where you on the "Red" zone on your backup camera ? And be assured, I used the system even in the "tightest" conditions and the car performed flawless. If only MFT would be half good as the parking system is, Ford would have an A+ car on the market.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
NorthernFocalPoint, you should try it again. And remember, when the beep becomes a continuously sound you still have 10" (25 cm) in front of the bumper. In my case, it never became continuously (comming from the front bumper while parking).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts