Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The fastening points are identical.
The top up under the hood fasteners are totally the same, the side snaps whch click the plastic for the front to the metal sides, the bottom..
The differences would be UNDER the front. The plastic section which is the impact device stuck on the front steel cross member? It actually lifts right off anyway.. (i do not know iif it is the same?)
The various plastic ducts under the front outer shell may not match up right.
(thus the shell 'sags', or would be particularly fragile and prone to total cave in if 'bumped' by another car?)

I would think an ST front on a non-ST would superficially fit way better than a non ST front plastic on a real ST.The other question is would the hood still fit?
A close comparison would need to be done, in person with a tape measure. My guess is they are the same. But that is totally a guess.

Then the negative vibes... If you did this you would be getting endless catcalls and boos from other enthusiasts as a 'poser'..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's been done, complete with the catcalls mentioned....

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It has been done.

It's been done, complete with the catcalls mentioned....
The front fascia of the ST has never looked very attractive to me, until I saw it on Twenty's sedan:

Also, this is what I had come in here for before I was completely blown away by that interior.

Finally did it.
I like it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Agreed

Changing the look can work out well, Twenty has gotten magazine exposure for his it looks so good.

The catcalls came when one member had his at a body shop for color matching, and a "helpful" person added an ST badge on the back to match the one that comes with the grille. Pictures were posted before it even left the shop, and cries of "FAKE" were heard.

Didn't matter that he'd planned on changing the front badge, and hadn't paid attention to the rear one being changed yet - the damage was done.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I see some people beat me to it. [:)]

The ST bumper swaps right on, but you'll need the main mounting bracket (which spans the width of the bumper) in order for it to work. The plastic undertray is also a different part, though it doesn't have to be installed so consider it an optional piece.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My comment of people cryingfake had nothing to do with a particular car. In general a LOT of folks do not behave well when they see a 'fake' mishmash car.

The car pic posted of the ST front on a sedan, That is actually different, mainly due to the ST bumper being on a different style and not on a hatch.
So in that case, it works, as no one is thinking 'fake' at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Twenty car looks smokin. Couple more questions for ya side skirts and rear bumper cover swaped as well?? Also did you go bigger wheels or lowering springs. I am considering keeping stock wheels and just going with springs. Thanks

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
That's what he said.

... The car pic posted of the ST front on a sedan, That is actually different, mainly due to the ST bumper being on a different style and not on a hatch.
So in that case, it works, as no one is thinking 'fake' at all.
The car pic posted was of the ST front on a sedan because that's what the OP asked about:

Anyone know if the st front fascia will fit a non st sedan?
Maybe you've been distracted lately by waiting for your new ST to arrive? [confused] Now that it has, taking it out for a few more long, fun drives should help with that. [driving]

I don't know whether the case sailor described was a hatch or a sedan, but I think the ST badge on either would draw criticism for being "fake", since the badge represents a higher level of performance, not just that look. If someone wants a hatchback with an ST front end they should just buy a real one that comes that way, like you (and many others) have done. Even a sedan that looks like that should probably be at least a little bit faster than a stock 2.0 NA just to live up to the image it creates, badges or not.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Twenty car looks smokin. Couple more questions for ya side skirts and rear bumper cover swaped as well?? Also did you go bigger wheels or lowering springs. I am considering keeping stock wheels and just going with springs. Thanks
Thanks!

The OEM ST skirts are a direct swap as well but the rear valance cannot be used as the hatchbacks have a shorter rear bumper than the sedans. Mine is merely an OEM sedan valance that I had smoothed and colour-matched.

The wheels are aftermarket 18s and it's on coilovers, wound fully down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts