Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Considering buying a loaded SEL Hatch instead of a Titanium because I just can't find a Ti that I like.

From what I can tell, there is not much different between loaded SEL and Titanium, but the push-button start is one of the biggest differences.

I was looking forward to not having a giant key on my key ring. My current car (VW) has the switchblade key so when it's locked away, it doesn't take up much room.

What does the SEL key look like? Is the remote entry on the key or a separate fob? How big is it? Can someone post a pic?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts

Order a Ti. All the cool kids are doing it. Personally, standard MFT and IA made Titanium the only choice for me. ;)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It's not the smallest key I've seen but it's all one fob. You can also purchase the key fob from the Fusion, which is a flip style, from eBay, and have it cut/programmed for your Focus.

I didn't opt for the Ti either, as the higher cost was essentially only going to be for the push button start for me. Everything else I wanted was also an option on the SEL.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the smallest key I've seen but it's all one fob. You can also purchase the key fob from the Fusion, which is a flip style, from eBay, and have it cut/programmed for your Focus.

I didn't opt for the Ti either, as the higher cost was essentially only going to be for the push button start for me. Everything else I wanted was also an option on the SEL.
Funny, I think we will have almost the same car. Mine will be silver with 303a, Winter package, nav, and parking assist.

Can you tell me more about getting the Fusion key? Did you do this or know someone on the forums who has? Is there a lot involved? I like to keep my cars pretty much "stock" because I am not mechanically savvy, but this is something I'd consider if it's easy.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Buying a key is only the start. Getting it CUT is the hard part. Very rare to have a local place that can do the cut.
The machine (as my dealer pointed out) costs $7,000. and NO dealer is going to buy one to do one key a month or so...
So find out FIRST if you can even get it cut, anywhere...
My dealer also made it VERY clear" DO NOT LOSE THE KEY...
So I guess it is a problem.
If i could find a place to get a third key cut, I just might do so...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
There's a thread on here somewhere... search Focus switchblade key and you should find some info. Elizabeth gave some good info though, heed those warnings as well.

IA is Intelligent Access... with the push button start and IA, if you have your key fob and your car is locked it only takes a touch of your fingers on the back of the door handle to open the door for you.

EDIT: and getting the Fusion key won't by any means change your car physically and change it's stock status, it's just another key, programmed for the car like any other key you have.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure I'm caving and going to wait for the Ti. My dealership says he should have on in 3 weeks that I can buy now and it will be saved for me. It's my 3rd choice color (grey) but I really want the IA :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
if grey is your 3rd choice, consider ordering your first (or try and have the dealer locate it). a few years driving around a car that your not happy with isn't a good thing (been there, done that). be absolutely happy with what you're driving!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if grey is your 3rd choice, consider ordering your first (or try and have the dealer locate it). a few years driving around a car that your not happy with isn't a good thing (been there, done that). be absolutely happy with what you're driving!
I wouldn't say that I'm "not happy" with it, I'm just on a time line and I really don't mind the grey. The almost funny thing is that my current car is grey and it was my first choice then. Now it's only my 3rd because I already have a grey car :)

I could have gotten a silver (2nd choice) if I compromised on the push-button start. The silver was a loaded SEL. I think I'll be much MUCH happier with they grey Ti :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I posted a thread on the focus flip key. I have a SEL as i didn't want to get an automatic, i refuse to drive anything that isn't manual. So i got the SEL and added the MFT package and 17" wheels to it which minus the automatic i believe makes it a TI with Stick.

like you i hate having a large key, so i bought a flip key on ebay went though a giant ordeal getting it to work, but in the end i did. it cost me 75 bucks in the end to get it.

Ford Switchblade Key

1 - 11 of 11 Posts