Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Focus, sedan. I think is LX, sedan. The engine is seized. Has anybody tried any of the special liquids that you put into the engine and makes it work? I am afraid it is an online scam.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have a 2005 Focus, sedan. I think is LX, sedan. The engine is seized. Has anybody tried any of the special liquids that you put into the engine and makes it work? I am afraid it is an online scam.
You need to say what happened to be able to help.
Did it run out of oil? and driven until it locked up?
Did in get hydrolocked? (water into the intake)
Did it get left outdoors with the hood open and no plugs in engine for a few years?
Did it get over revvved by being at 80mph on the freeway and the guy managed to get it into first gear and then let out the clutch just to see what would happen?
Is just the starter frozen? and lock to the flywheel?
Plenty more possibilities..

Added: in general, take out the sparkplugs and try to turn over the motor.
Try to rotate the motor with a wrench on the pully off the crank. (after taking out the sparkplugs.)
What do the sparkplugs look like OK, oily, black, really white. any broken?
Drain the oil and see what it looks like? What/how much comes out? remember to refill the oil!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hydrolocked

my mechanic thinks it was hydrolocked, when the spark plugs were taken out, you could see some rests of the coolant in those holes.

what would be is the best thing to do?

·
Registered
495 Posts
my mechanic thinks it was hydrolocked, when the spark plugs were taken out, you could see some rests of the coolant in those holes.

what would be is the best thing to do?
Coolant in the cylinders means blown head gasket.

If the engine's seized, it needs replacement.

You can try putting some transmission fluid into the cylinders and see if they get moving again (leave it in there for a while, 30 minutes or more), but chances are that the engine's toast.

Usually, insurance companies cover this kind of loss, but your deductible will apply and most likely you'll see surcharges ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks heaps for your info! The problem is that if I replace the engine because of the water damage, is possible to have the computer affected as well? Or where is the computer located? When I put some transmission fluid, do I need to take the oil out? I am trying to fix up the car.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks heaps for your info! The problem is that if I replace the engine because of the water damage, is possible to have the computer affected as well? Or where is the computer located? When I put some transmission fluid, do I need to take the oil out? I am trying to fix up the car.
The PCM should be OK and doesn't need to be re-flashed after an engine replacement.

BTW, expect a new PZEV Duratec to command quite a chunk of change ... being basically a Mazda engine means it's not that cheap.

And if you do get it running with some tranny fluid, you will need to do an oil/filter change shortly thereafter, but listen for knocking noises as it's very possible that when it stopped running it bent a rod ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently the car went into some fresh water, so I was wondering where the PCM is to suss out whether the PCM was affected or not (if it is under the navigator's seat, next to the battery etc.). Is it possible to use other engines from other cars? Or it is cheaper (read better) to change the whole lot?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts