Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the coldest day I had the car -30c...

My left rear drum brakes is seized after my going to work I could burn myself (smell bad)on the rear left drum other brakes are cold.

Calling the dealer today but is there anything I could do to unseize it?

Car still under warranty is it covered?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If you go to Fortier Ford, forget the "under warranty" haha... It should be covered under warranty, yes.

Do you use the handbrake everyday when you park? If you don't, could be a good time to do.

·
Registered
167 Posts

My left rear drum brakes is seized after my going to work I could burn myself (smell bad)on the rear left drum other brakes are cold.

Calling the dealer today but is there anything I could do to unseize it?

Car still under warranty is it covered?

Thanks
Parking brakes have a nasty habit of seizing when it's cold or hot or otherwise inconvenient.

Warm up the rear of your car by building a fire under it?
Drive it into a warm lake?

It ought to be covered under warranty, though.

·
Registered
233 Posts

My left rear drum brakes is seized after my going to work I could burn myself (smell bad)on the rear left drum other brakes are cold...

Thank you for reaching out, ELCouz. Have you made an appointment with the dealer yet? If so, send me the current odometer reading; I'll check the available resources.

Kwasi

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course I use it every day, I have a manual tranny :p

Dealer said left drum was too tight...

This was still on original brakes no service yet... wierd!

Unlucky my warranty expired on Nov 29th 2014 damn!

90.00$ for the adjustment... not bad

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw, no more cars with rear drums,,, I'm tired of this crap!

Always had trouble with drums. (on cold days, my past golf had the same frigging problem)

At least brake calipers don't seized that often and are trouble free!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have had to adjust a few drum brakes because of this issue. It's a pretty easy fix not sure why it was $90 for something they probably fixes in 5 minutes.

As far as brake calipers not seizing up...they can especially if the rubber boot is bad. Just replaced a rear caliper on my silverado a few months back.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not a 5 min. on a Focus, no slot to put a tool in from the back to adjust anything.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Don't see why Ford can't just have rear discs on ALL Focus. Hyundai and Kia has rear discs standard on all their Elantras and Fortes.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't see why Ford can't just have rear discs on ALL Focus. Hyundai and Kia has rear discs standard on all their Elantras and Fortes.
Cost cutting?

Bought my car used, had really no choice on the sport pkg.
Otherwise I would choose it!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was surprised when we bought our 08 Focus and it had rear drums as most cars are going to 4 wheel disc brakes. I was glad to see 4 wheel disc brakes on my 12'.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was surprised when we bought our 08 Focus and it had rear drums as most cars are going to 4 wheel disc brakes. I was glad to see 4 wheel disc brakes on my 12'.
You must have the Sport package as I have. That was the only way to get rear discs on the 2012 SE's.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Returned to the dealer today for the same problem... (same side Rear Left)

They said it's the parking cable...

Whatever...

This kind of story will end up costing 1000$ replacing the rear drum entirely at the end ...

/me thinks for a rear disc swap next summer...

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
You must have the Sport package as I have. That was the only way to get rear discs on the 2012 SE's.
No it was not, the other way was to get the SFE package with the DCT.

Unless you mean the only way to get them with a manual and the SE.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's a more likely cause than automatically adjusting up too tight, still quite uncommon with the plastic coated cables used now.

Winter can freeze things when least expected, but parking cables aren't as subject to it as they once were.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Returned to the dealer today for the same problem... (same side Rear Left)

They said it's the parking cable...

Whatever...

This kind of story will end up costing 1000$ replacing the rear drum entirely at the end ...

/me thinks for a rear disc swap next summer...
Do you use it everyday ?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you use it everyday ?

YES every single day... my car is manual... even when I had my automatic Ranger I used the foot brake every day even with the park position... you never know when the parking cowl gonna snap!

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well 3rd day at the dealer...

Result:

"Technical Advisor" *sigh* said I took 4 (four, yeah 4) hours to replace the parking cable... (Because it had to remove the heatshield under the focus make sense but still)

But charged me only 1 and half hour of working time... (wow great deal *sigh*... IMO that's the right job time)

First day: 90$ misdiagnosis
Second day: Didn't have the part
Third day: Parking brake cable 50$ + 175$ labor

Total : 315 $

You are sure, i'm looking for a house with a garage... next time I do it myself...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts