Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was trying to install an AFX UDP today, but when it came to removing the 18mm bolt holding the pulley in both the pulley and bolt would turn. Both the bolt and the pulley seem a bit rusted? Is it possible that the bolt is seized on the pulley? If that is the case, what can I do about this?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
get some good penetrating lube in there. See if it starts to turn. If it doesnt, then get a small torch (a small one with a propane/butane can on the bottom)and heat it up. SOmetimes the combo of lube and heat will break it loose enough. If your scared of rounding off the bolt, get a buddy to help with a tq wrench or impact wrench.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Be sure you're not actually cranking the engine backwards.... I didn't have access to an impact wrench so I used the breaker bar/engine crank technique (except I unplugged the coil instead of the spark plug wires) from focushacks.com, worked like a charm.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=3

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am going to try that first thing tomorrow. I have a torque wrench and they didn't prove torqueful enough to crack the bind. Any suggestions as to which lube to buy?

·
Registered
420 Posts
PB sandblaster

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
PB blaster, kroil, or liquid wrench. There are a few others,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
swk110 said:
you don't want to use your torque wrench for removing bolts

find an impact wrench or a breaker bar
I don't know much about tools, I have a lot to learn. Why shouldn't I use a torque wrench? It is rated for 150ft/lbs and the bolt should only be torqued at something like 89ft/lbs.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
swk110 said:
you don't want to use your torque wrench for removing bolts

find an impact wrench or a breaker bar

When I said tq wrench, I meant one that is powered by compressed air and has tq settings on it. Some people call it differently, but in my neck of the woods, thats what it is called.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
"PB Sandblaster" lol. Sorry, just struck me as funny. PB Blaster my friend. Thats some great stuff there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Haha, wow...I must be retarded...

I should've known it was PB blaster, and not sandblaster. I have some in my garage.

Thanks for the correction, lol!

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
have someone stand on the brakes while you try to break the bolt lose...it works every time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, well I got some liquid wrench and a breaker bar. I just have one last question, should I disconnect the battery before replacing the pulley? The how-to's i have read didn't mention it but I think I remember reading about someone's idle being messed up by replacing the pulley.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts