Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the factory security/Keyless Entry system on a 2004 ZX-3 can be programmed to turn on the parking lights when you disarm/unlock the doors? [paranoid]

I know that the hardware connection is there because the lights flash when the system is armed, but the only light that comes on at disarm is the dome light. It would be nice to light up around the car when approaching at night.

Thanks,
David

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Well, I have no idea if this applies to your year or not, but on my 08' I accidentally found out how to do this.

I was playing with the auto-lock and auto-unlock feature. Neither of which work on my car but after doing the auto-unlock sequence below all of my lights now come on when I hit unlock on my fob. The stay on for about 1 minute, and yep I love it.

Autounlock feature (if equipped)
The autounlock feature will unlock all the doors when:
• the ignition is in the 3 (RUN) position, all the doors are closed, and
the vehicle has been in motion at a speed greater than 12 mph
(20 km/h);
• the vehicle has then come to a stop and the ignition is turned to the 1
(LOCK) or 2 (ACC) position; and
• the driver door is opened within 10 minutes of the ignition being
transitioned to the 1 (LOCK) or 2 (ACC) position.
Note: The doors will not autounlock if the vehicle has been
electronically locked before the driver door is opened.
Deactivating/activating autounlock feature
Your vehicle comes with the autounlock features activated; there are
three methods to enable/disable this feature:
• Through your authorized dealer,
• by using a power door unlock/lock sequence
• or by using the instrument cluster message center. Refer to Message
center in the Driver Controls chapter.
Note: The autounlock feature can be activated/deactivated
independently of the autolock feature.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I did the trick differently.....using an old headlight delay relay (meant to leave the headlights on for up to three minutes after you turn the ignition off).

Instead of using the headlights, I leave all the running lights on for three minutes. To trigger this I get a 12v signal from a brake light. So....with the remote, when you hit the lock button, the brake lights flash......this triggers the relay, which turns the running lights on for about three minutes (adjustable).

Simple...huh? [giggle]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Brad, but you really didn't say what sequence you did to activate that feature. [???:)]

My 04 doesn't have a message center.
I figured out how to disable the autolock function but it still doesn't light up the running lights on disarm.

If anyone else out there has figured this out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Well, I have no idea if this applies to your year or not, but on my 08' I accidentally found out how to do this.

I was playing with the auto-lock and auto-unlock feature. Neither of which work on my car but after doing the auto-unlock sequence below all of my lights now come on when I hit unlock on my fob. The stay on for about 1 minute, and yep I love it.

Autounlock feature (if equipped)
The autounlock feature will unlock all the doors when:
• the ignition is in the 3 (RUN) position, all the doors are closed, and
the vehicle has been in motion at a speed greater than 12 mph
(20 km/h);
• the vehicle has then come to a stop and the ignition is turned to the 1
(LOCK) or 2 (ACC) position; and
• the driver door is opened within 10 minutes of the ignition being
transitioned to the 1 (LOCK) or 2 (ACC) position.
Note: The doors will not autounlock if the vehicle has been
electronically locked before the driver door is opened.
Deactivating/activating autounlock feature
Your vehicle comes with the autounlock features activated; there are
three methods to enable/disable this feature:
• Through your authorized dealer,
• by using a power door unlock/lock sequence
• or by using the instrument cluster message center. Refer to Message
center in the Driver Controls chapter.
Note: The autounlock feature can be activated/deactivated
independently of the autolock feature.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Oh man, I must have needed to sleep more this morning, I thought I'd posted the instructions for the unlock feature, not that gibberish. I didn't even know that I'd done anything until sometime later when I walked out to my car, hit the unlock on the fob and the lights came on.

Now I believe it was the unlock feature I was playing with before this little miracle occurred. And here are the instructions from the owner's manual that I used.

Before starting, ensure the ignition is in the 1 (LOCK) position and all
vehicle doors are closed. You must complete Steps 1–5 within 30 seconds
or the procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be
repeated, wait a minimum of 30 seconds before beginning again.
1. Place the key in the ignition and
turn the ignition to the 3 (RUN)
position.
2. Press the power door unlock
control on the door panel three
times.
3. Turn the ignition from the 3
(RUN) position to the 1 (LOCK)
position.
4. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.
5. Turn the ignition back to the 3 (RUN) position. The horn will chirp
one time to confirm programming mode has been entered and is active.
6. To enable/disable the autounlock feature, press the lock control, then
press the unlock control. The horn will chirp once if autounlock was
deactivated or twice (one short and one long chirp) if autounlock was
activated.
7. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position. The horn will chirp once
to confirm the procedure is complete.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Did some more playing today and I don't know what to tell you. Now I can't make it so that my headlights DON'T come on when I hit unlock on the fob. For #6 above, where you push lock and then unlock - you can follow the exact same procedure but for #6 press unlock and then lock. That's supposed to enable/disable the autolock feature.

But after playing with both of those, multiple times, I never could get it back to where it didn't turn the headlights on with the fob. Which is fine with me, that's the way I want it. I was just hoping to make some sense out of how I got it to work in the first place.

OK, so this isn't a total waste - here's something you won't find in the manual. If you have an info center, with the key off, press the RESET button and keep pressing it while you turn the key to the ON position. Wait a few seconds and the info center should enter the diagnostics mode. Now each press of the RESET button will cycle through a bunch of stuff, including trouble codes if any are present. And this is fun for anyone that doesn't have a tachometer. Once you find the tac in diagnostics mode, leave it there and start the car. You now have an digital tac! Only bitch is that it won't stay like that when you turn the car off, you have to get back into diag mode and switch to it every time you want to use it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Brad. I've already disabled the autolock on mine and it didn't have any effect on the lights behavior.

I'll play with it a bit more when I have time.

Thanks again,
David

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
what i thought about doing was since i have hids in my fogs that when i press the unlock button they come on and help with the light so i can see and also stay on all the time. Kind of like daytime running lights but always on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts