Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.0 liter duratec in my '06 ZX5, any one know of ways to get more power that my insurance company wont be able to see? I know if ithrow on the turbo I want i wont be able to afford insurance so i need somethin subtle. I'm thinking new rods to raise the compression ratio with forged pistons to take the added compression then just run a higher octane so as to not blow up my engine. I also like the look of the Massive Speed coils, do they actually add any power? I'll get em anyways to go with the red theme on my engine, but knowing of a couple more horses would be nice. Don't reply with dumb shit like 'cut off you exhaust!' or 'cold air!' i need something that is not noticeable until your driving the damn thing. [driving]

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Header wouldn't be noticed, yea all internals, you could go with a stealth exhaust from focussport and keep the stock tip. O and you could do the stock intake also.

·
Registered
150 Posts
header, Tb (if silver), ^^^like he said with the exhaust^^^, Udp.... thats all i got..

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
The stock coil packs on the Duratecs are really good, no need to change 'em.
Header wouldn't be noticed if you rigged a stock heat shield to cover it.
There's also a how-to for a stealth air intake.
And if you're going to all the work of internals with intake and exhaust, an ECU tune is a must

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
your insurance company checks your motor to see whats in it? thats the craziest thing i've ever heard, what kind of bogus insurance company do you have?

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I agree with ^^^^^^^
My car is majorly modified, and my insurance company doesn't know or care.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
adjusters have even seen my car and don't say a thing, they even replaced my euro grille when it got wrecked, no questions asked

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
The FS turbo kit is a really stealth setup. Seen it in person a few times and was really impressed. The turbo manifold is tucked up nicely behind the motor and most of the intake piping and such runs up under the motor so you don't even see it till it pops up into the throttle body. Really nice piece. Rig up some sorta heatshield to cover that manifold up and your good to go.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
even if your insurance company saw that your car has a 15:1 compression motor with 200shot of nitrous....

its still a ford focus Zx3 with a 2liter motor..... they cant legally hike up your insurance... because they have to go by the VIN # on what the car is... hence the reason your insurance would go up if you bought a corvette... it doesnt matter if it only runs on 4 cylinders all the time, its still a corvette, and thats what the insurance company looks at... because all insurance companies know that the corvette is a sports car meant to go fast...

and most insurance companies know that a ford focus is built for economy...

just remember... its still a focus in the end, no matter how many mods you have, unless you do a V-8 conversion or the like.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Agreed, insurance cant possibly raise ur rates for having a turbo, intake, etc. etc...

They could care less, unless ur car mysteriously blows up! lol...

·
Registered
119 Posts
if you do thousands of dollars in modifications, you could ASK your insurance company to raise your rates so that you've covered all your expenses in the case of the car being totalled. but they can't raise your rates because you modify your car. and if they say they will, i highly suggest switching insurance companies.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
This has got me curious....my own insurance company (State Farm) has never seen my car, or any other car I've insured with them. They know it's a certain year/model car.....that's it.

Looking at the motor for insurance purposes..... is this a policy of certain companies or particular states?

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
Some small insurance companies do this to protect themselves. The larger ones don't really care, altho they wont replace the aftermarket parts. Take my svt, i added coverage for the wheels, s/c, etc, in case the car is ever wreck, then those items are replaced.
But it's not usually a policy of an insurance company to inspect.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yeah generally they write a check to replace the stock parts, and you have to pay the difference or let the body shop put it back to stock. You may also find it interesting that the mileage isn't usually involved in those calculations. If it's an 08 civic with 632,538 miles, it's still just about impossible to total. The value of the car is based on year, make, and model, and only the damage relevant to the accident is counted against that.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
my insurance company had me take it to an inspector but they didnt care at all about any of that stuff. didnt pop the hood or anything like that. just ahd to see it was a focus. so, i dunno what the OP is talking about.

also, the massive coils are a complete waste of money. talked about on here a lot. even those who have tried them said they shouldnt have.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i had an adjuster look at my truck and he did ask aboout and mod's that had signif. value for his assesment for damages to pay me on my total........ that was progressive the other party's insurance...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
With State Farm anyway, the mileage on your car does matter when it comes to being "totaled" after an accident. They go by the market value of your particular car.....and mileage plays a part in it's value.

If the cost to fix the damage gets to within a certain percentage of it's market value.....it gets totaled. You can have a perfect condition 2001 Focus with 100K miles. Won't take much of an accident to get it totaled. I think some insurance companies offer a higher priced policy for "premium" vehicles.

My perfect '95 Sentra with 140K got totaled last winter after a very minor accident....[bigcry]

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
my insurance knows all my mod there all in my folder with recepts so if somethjing ever happends they cover it and my insurance has never went up.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
james, who is ur ins. carrier? thats pretty good. here in MA, we cant get those big names, like state farm, allstate, geico, and all those. kinda sucks. i have a perfect driving record, and i pay 1200 a year.

oh, and the k & n FIPK is really stock-looking for cais, if u really need that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts