Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who lurk here on a reg. basis may remember me as i post fairly often.. I've often complained about the little things ford didn't do in designing this car and still stand by those comments; crappy glove box - almost useless, no up/down adjustment for power seat, etc. ( a new complaint: the dash gauges don't dim enuf and it's esp. annoying on dark roads..my old focus would dim down to almost nothing.)

Now, tho, after 2K miles i'm beginning to have a more favorable view of my SEL.
The mileage is super.. no complaints... it handles very well, is comfortable and quiet. I'm still not 100% convinced about the tranny but i'm liking it a bit more than earlier. it's smoother than when brand new and seems to shift fine. I realise that all new cars take a while to get used to.. i remember when i bought my old focus it took about 6 months for me to really like it.
MFT is working as it should w/ no reboots and no other problems (fingers crossed).

I enjoy reading other's experiences w/ their rides and the mods they do.

·
Registered
588 Posts
...and isn't there a handle on the left side of the seat to manually raise and lower the height on non-power driver's seats?
Yes. It looks like a typical recline lever, but it actually raises and lowers the seat.

The recline lever is up on the seatback, not on the seat bottom.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No seat in a car is a "true up or down" if you put it that way.
sorry but ur wrong there.. i've owned both ford and GM products in the past where the elec seat had a separate up/down

i find it odd that if u have a manual seat, as in my older focus, there is a crank to raise and lower the seat bottom but if one springs the bigger bucks for elec. seats the customer is denied this option.. odd, indeed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
isn't the break in period for most cars the first like 10k? i've read up on some of the newer camaros not achieving their break in periods until the neighborhood of 30k

also no car is perfect, this is why they let you test drive vehicles before purchasing

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am almost at 3000 miles and I too appreciate the Focus more and more. Yesterday I drove in my older 2000 Hyundai Elantra and realized how quiet the Focus really was. A couple of times when I has in the older car I thought one of the windows were open. The Focus handles great, is comfortable and gets great gas mileage! It fits all my needs.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree with Cobie.

The up/down on the Focus acts totally different from my Fusion.

Fusion goes up/down vertically. On the focus it almost feels like its tilting a little bit.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with Cobie.

The up/down on the Focus acts totally different from my Fusion.

Fusion goes up/down vertically. On the focus it almost feels like its tilting a little bit.
you're right,, ford cheaped out w/ the elec. seats in the focus... grrrr!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
They didn't "cheap out" with anything. As the seat moves up it moves forward and as it moves down it moves back, but only a little bit, and independent of the actual forward and back controls. This is beneficial for the driver, and I'll explain how.

As the seat is lowered, your legs become closer to pedal level, and it moves the seat back as you lower to take that into consideration; if the seat moved vertically up and down you'd have to adjust forward and back too to get the most ergonomic position.

Let me explain the opposite... as you move the seat up, it goes forward a bit. Since your legs have a longer vertical distance from the pedal level the higher up you are, the closer you need to be to access the pedals comfortably and efficiently.

Basically the Focus up/down removes the need to move the seat forward and back. Once you have the desired forward/back position, the up/down in theory should accommodate you at any vertical level.

This is just my personal experience/findings as I've tested the various features. I appreciate it. And to be honest... it's not a true up down but it does move the seat up and down, if you have to, you still have your independent forward/back controls; use them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They didn't "cheap out" with anything. As the seat moves up it moves forward and as it moves down it moves back, but only a little bit, and independent of the actual forward and back controls. This is beneficial for the driver, and I'll explain how.

As the seat is lowered, your legs become closer to pedal level, and it moves the seat back as you lower to take that into consideration; if the seat moved vertically up and down you'd have to adjust forward and back too to get the most ergonomic position.

Let me explain the opposite... as you move the seat up, it goes forward a bit. Since your legs have a longer vertical distance from the pedal level the higher up you are, the closer you need to be to access the pedals comfortably and efficiently.

Basically the Focus up/down removes the need to move the seat forward and back. Once you have the desired forward/back position, the up/down in theory should accommodate you at any vertical level.

This is just my personal experience/findings as I've tested the various features. I appreciate it. And to be honest... it's not a true up down but it does move the seat up and down, if you have to, you still have your independent forward/back controls; use them.
+1

That is how I always looked at it.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no, not stumped.. opted to not reply.. pointless when people dont' understand what's being written.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have the power seats and the one feature I miss is tilt. As it sets it puts pressure on the back of my legs at the front. If I could tilt it it would be more comfortable. I am short, 5'4". Having said that I do like the leather sport seats and can get them close. What I'd like is the low setting but set higher! Haha.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
no, not stumped.. opted to not reply.. pointless when people dont' understand what's being written.
You're just upset it seems with Ford that on a compact car, you're seats aren't a true up/down. I understood what he was saying and it does makes sense. If it's such an issue for you, get rid of the car. I love mine and love thr electric seats...can adjust them just right for my back :)

Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 26 Posts