Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hi all, I'm coming up on 120,000 on my 08, everything is great so far and couldn't be happier. My question is, is there a mileage I should do things at this point or just go until something needs replaced, besides oil, I just did spark plugs when I did my valve cover gasket. So is there anything I should do or not right now? I'm the second owner and I have all receipts so I'll double check to see what's been done. I received the car at 100,000. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FF Mobile
Do you have the factory owners manual/books? It lists all recommended maintenance items. Really the only big things are fluid changes on the 08-11, we don't have a timing belt to worry about. The rest of the stuff I just replace as it fails (e.g suspension components, wheel bearings, etc)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi all, I'm coming up on 120,000 on my 08, everything is great so far and couldn't be happier. My question is, is there a mileage I should do things at this point or just go until something needs replaced, besides oil, I just did spark plugs when I did my valve cover gasket. So is there anything I should do or not right now? I'm the second owner and I have all receipts so I'll double check to see what's been done. I received the car at 100,000. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FF Mobile
yes. go ahaead and change the trans oil now if its a manual. and yesterday if it is a auto trans.

change your power steering fluid. your pump and seals will thank you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
yes. go ahaead and change the trans oil now if its a manual. and yesterday if it is a auto trans.

Careful, if its an auto and hasn't been done it may fail after fluid change. Happens frequently on multiple vehicles, happened to the wife's escape. About 15k after performing a fluid change the trans failed. We didn't know the service history and were rolling the dice

·
Registered
235 Posts

Ok, well luckily mine is the 5 speed! Woo! That is odd with the automatics as stated above. Since I've owned the car I've done all the maintenance, I'm thinking of maybe having a garage do this as it may be easier and that way they can do a check on everything else. Is that a good route to go or is this change simple?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
5-spd. is pretty simple, fill bolt about half way up the front (hex) and a drain bolt sideways on the bottom joint of the trans..

Make sure to loosen BOTH before draining, just to cover your butt.

2 qts. is OK for the fill, Ford updated the specs. to get rid of the ".1" to get it right up to the fill threads.

Official Ford MTF synthetic is pricey, but good for another 100k. Plenty of threads on alternatives, I try to stay out of that debate for the most part (just DON'T throw in std. mineral gear oil).

·
Registered
727 Posts
5-spd. is pretty simple, fill bolt about half way up the front (hex) and a drain bolt sideways on the bottom joint of the trans..

Make sure to loosen BOTH before draining, just to cover your butt.

2 qts. is OK for the fill, Ford updated the specs. to get rid of the ".1" to get it right up to the fill threads.

Official Ford MTF synthetic is pricey, but good for another 100k. Plenty of threads on alternatives, I try to stay out of that debate for the most part (just DON'T throw in std. mineral gear oil).
Just to reinforce, absolutely make sure the fill bolt comes loose before you touch the drain. Sometimes plug can seize and it really sucks when you drain a component and cant refill it lol

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Head for the Brakes, Suspension & Chassis section to find lots of info..

Fronts are pressed into the knuckles, gotta remove them to get the bearings pressed out/in unless you rent/buy a special tool set for removal.

Rears are pressed into the drums or hubs (for disc type).

·
Registered
486 Posts
My car has rolled just over 132K - over 65k from my 2012 post. I've done front brakes, sway links last month and need to do rear brakes now. Other than tires and wheels I have not had to do much of anything at all to the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hows your clutch?
Good, I don't know if it was changed before I got the car but its still good now. The only issues I have is it needs new rear shocks because the passenger side is worn out. Going to be putting those on and some new Ceramic brake pads on the front. Other than that its good.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hows your clutch?
Good, I don't know if it was changed before I got the car but its still good now. The only issues I have is it needs new rear shocks because the passenger side is worn out. Going to be putting those on and some new Ceramic brake pads on the front. Other than that its good.
I would stay away from napa blues. Get some motorcraft shocks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Hello all! Hope you are all doing well. Thought I'd login and update this thread.

I just recently (January 2019) crossed over the 300,000 mark on my 2008 Ford Focus.

Yes I know the TPMS light is on, two of the batteries have died, plan to have them replaced next set of tires. I will get it waxed and polished soon and upload exterior photos.

I have done things along the way, some of which I have already outlined in previous posts. But I will give an update on some of the more recent things, past 200,000 miles:

- Power Steering Pump and reservoir (due to leaks)
- Evaporative Cooler for AC (that was the expensive item they take apart the entire dash)
- That hard plastic cooler line that runs right in between the fan and the motor, it cracked, and thankfully Ford superseded that part with a metal line. When taking all of that apart discovered that the radiator had a small leak, so did the Radiator, the hard line, and the upper and lower hoses all at once
- Valve Cover Gasket and Oring gaskets around spark plug holes again at 298k, was done at 190k prior
- Cleaned the undercarriage and motor/under the hood so it looks brand new again

- Sway Bar Links, just did those at 308,000, they were original and they were done, the plastic was cracked bad and hard.

Other then that stuff, it has just been regularly scheduled maintenance. One of these days, I'll type up my entire repair/maintenance records on here with mileage (minus the stuff that happens no matter what (oil, tires, brakes)

Also now that I am at 308,000 I am seriously considering replacing the axles, tie rod ends (inner and outer), control arms again (did them at about 100k), and wheel bearings (did them at 180k). While I know these are typically things you would just wait until they break, I am starting to think it may be smarter to get ahead of the break and do it proactively considering the mileage I am at. I would be able to do it at home on my time (using all Ford parts) for probably a third of that it would cost to take it in (if I was paying to have it all done). Certainly if one of those components fail out on the road I am going to pay a high premium. Thoughts on that? Any reason why someone would suggest not doing it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
very nice. I just hit 176,000 on the original clutch and currently buying the parts for a replacement. This gives me hope that after I replace the clutch the motor won't give out at 200,000. I did a ton of research before I bought the Focus. So far I'm really pleased with the purchase. Maybe one day I will see that epic 300,000. I guess if you take care of your car it will take care of you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
very nice. I just hit 176,000 on the original clutch and currently buying the parts for a replacement. This gives me hope that after I replace the clutch the motor won't give out at 200,000. I did a ton of research before I bought the Focus. So far I'm really pleased with the purchase. Maybe one day I will see that epic 300,000. I guess if you take care of your car it will take care of you.
Yeah 176,000 is not bad at all! I am still on my original clutch, and am hoping that it continues on for a while. I can't believe how great it has been in terms of reliability overall. I do keep up on my maintenance regularly and that really is the key. Good luck!!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts