Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I have learned quite a bit from this site, so I thought I would write a quick post about a problem I finally got to fixing on my 2013 SE 5-DR, 5 SPD MAN. Hopefully, this will help someone else.

My car has 98,000 miles and was purchased with 93,000. I had always had a vibration at highway speeds under load, such as when pulling a hill. Down-shifting made it worse, but the frequency of the vibration did not change with engine speed. It was not in the steering wheel, like a tire or front-end problem, but could be felt through the seat and the gas pedal.

The final solution primarily ended up being to replace a bad passenger-side axle. I had suspected axle problems at first, due to experience with other cars, but I could detect no free play and none of the popping or clicking a bad CV joint often causes. The CV boots were also in great shape.

So, I moved on to motor/trans mounts. I replaced a badly dry-rotted upper mount and the lower trans torque strut which looked fine, but did not solve the problem.

I ended up using the Motorcraft parts, since the Raxles brand axles were not available. I have had bad experiences on some cars with the cheap new axles from the local parts houses, but Raxles has a stellar reputation. We'll see how long these last. The right axle eliminated 95% or so of the problem, so I changed the left as well, which got the rest of the vibration. It drives very smooth now.

I opened up the inner and outer joints and could see no unusual wear or other problems. The intermediate support bearing seemed fine as well, so I'll just put this one down to details unknown.

Again, hopefully this will help save someone some cash or headaches.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2013 SE 5dr 5MT 90k miles...vibration between 50-70mph while accelerating, but if I drop it in neutral and match RPMs, no vibration. Vibration existed with old tires and new, stock rims and winter steelies, before and after alignment. I was kind of suspicious of my axle, but your post seemingly confirms it (so thanks for posting). How did you know which axle it was?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,312 Posts
The psm is known to go out & add additional vibrations......Use either a Motorcraft/Ford or a poly mount.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The psm is known to go out & add additional vibrations......Use either a Motorcraft/Ford or a poly mount.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my reading, the motor mounts seem to cause more vibrations in the cabin and/or at idle, right? I would also assume engine speed would play a significant role. My issue seems to be identical (or really close to) the OP's problem. I'm not having vibrations at idle, or when the clutch is disengaged (hence why I'm thinking it's more driveline related), but I do have the rattles in the headliner and dash gauge plastic covers (which typically means "go a little faster so the RPMs are higher and don't cause the rattle" lol).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having the same problem with my 2013 SE 5dr 5MT 90k miles...vibration between 50-70mph while accelerating, but if I drop it in neutral and match RPMs, no vibration. Vibration existed with old tires and new, stock rims and winter steelies, before and after alignment. I was kind of suspicious of my axle, but your post seemingly confirms it (so thanks for posting). How did you know which axle it was?
I had no idea, before replacement, which axle was the problem. I could not detect any free play or roughness in either side. I bought both axles, but replaced the right side first because it is a two-piece axle with an intermediate bearing, so more moving parts. That solved most of it, but replacing the left side eliminated the slight remaining vibration.

felixthecat's idea can't be completely ruled out though. When you go to neutral, even with matched rpm, there is no driveline torque on the motor mounts. Changing my upper motor and rear trans torque mounts had no effect on the under-load vibration, but did slightly improve my idle smoothness (my upper mount insert was badly dry-rotted and cracked).

I hope all this helps. Yell back if you need further info and good luck with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took a closer look at the passenger side motor mount, and there does appear to be some movement, though the top rubber part is not torn. After spending some time on YouTube, some of the engine rumbling/growling sounds of other Focuses (Foci?) with a bad PMM are awfully familiar. So I think you're right that the mount needs to be replaced, and I think it will probably solve some of the interior rattle, but I guess I'm just still not convinced that's what's causing the 50-70mph vibration, which is what I'm really going after right now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmmm... vibrating seat of pants.
Sounds like something my wife might like to drive.

Seems like the source could be deteriorated PMM, but the 50-70mph speed frequency seems a bit wide. My experience has always been resonance at a narrower frequency range. No harm and very easy to replace PMM.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Would someone be willing to verify that I have the parts list correct?

Bracket - Engine Front Support Part #: 6038
02/04/2013 - 10/09/2018, Focus (C346N), 2.0L I4 DI TIVCT Petrol 160PS, 5-Speed Manual Trans - MTX75
02/04/2013 - 10/09/2018, Focus (C346N), 2.0L I4 DI TIVCT Petrol 160PS, 6 Speed Auto Transmission DPS6, With Fuel Economy Pack
08/08/2011 - 02/04/2013, Focus (C346N), 2.0L I4 DI TIVCT Petrol 160PS
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/bracket-engine-front-support-6399935-1

Shaft - Front Axle Part #: TX813 (3B436)
Front Right, 2012 - 2017, Focus, Liter:2.0, Cylinder(s):4, BoreIn:3.44, StrokeIn:3.27, Naturally Aspirated, Transmission Control Type:Standard, Tranmission Num Speeds:5, When Replacing Half Shaft, You Must Replace The 3N324 Strap
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/shaft-front-axle-7834435-1

Shaft - Front Axle Part #: TX815 (3B437)
Front Left, 2013 - 2017, Focus, Liter:2.0, Cylinder(s):4, BoreIn:3.44, StrokeIn:3.27, Naturally Aspirated, Transmission Control Type:Standard, Tranmission Num Speeds:5
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/shaft-front-axle-7867019-1

Retainer - bearing
Part #: 3N324
Drive Shaft - Front Axle Drive
Usage: 01/31/2011 - 10/09/2018, Focus (C346N), 5-Speed Manual Trans - MTX75
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/retainer-bearing-6311875-1#sectionId:4295690

Thank you all for your help. You guys rock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Replaced the passenger side motor mount today. It did not fix the freeway vibrations, though everything else is a lot smoother and there are a *lot* fewer rattles, so I'm still grateful for your suggestions to do so :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Time to bump this post.

I've noticed vibration in my gas pedal at times as well. However after test driving a 2016 Titanium with DCT, it also had some degree of vibration there. However mine felt worse so I changed the PMM, and it got better a little temporarily. My car is a 2016 SE, DCT.

It's strange. Gas pedal will be smooth as butter a lot, then I'll feel more vibration.

Anyone have thoughts?

Jason

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
If the mount was not a Ford one then a common complaint. Aftermarket mounts simply do not work well or long there, the Chinese companies making them simply refuse to do the due diligence it takes to make them correctly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the mount was not a Ford one then a common complaint. Aftermarket mounts simply do not work well or long there, the Chinese companies making them simply refuse to do the due diligence it takes to make them correctly.
It's a Motorcraft mount. I don't think what I'm feeling has anything to do with the mount. I have no clue what it could be. Could be just normal but seems just a wee bit excessive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
I replaced my pmm yesterday at 35k miles. Old mount was original, and I was feeling some vibes at idle and in the gas pedal. Worse was between 15-2100 rpm, it makes a buzz vibration in the dash at 2k rpm. The mount wasn't failed but the new mount smoothed it out some. I still have a vibration almost like an exhaust leak. I replaced RMM as well at the same time. Can the transmission mount cause the lound vibration noises as well?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts