Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had to replace the bottom cushion of my driver's seat... the seat had become painful. I was never able to verify what the problem was -- I really thought the bottom cushion foam had ripped or torn, allowing the metal underneath to become a pain in my side.

So I replaced the cushion. This completely solved the problem. I now sit higher, too... which I like. The old cushion looked fine, btw... no obvious rip or tear.

Is this just part and parcel of Focus life -- premature foam failure? For what it's worth, I'm not overweight, but I purchased my Focus used, and I'm thinking perhaps the driver before me might have been overweight?

What do we know about the seat foam on the Focus... just wearing out?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
When I got my '06 (25k miles) about two years ago, the seat-back foam was split on the driver left side (the "wing" section). I took the back apart and fixed the split with glue, some new foam, other things. It's been ok since (I weigh about 230).

Haven't noticed a problem with the lower seat-bottom foam. They probably do have soft/cheap seat foam. [:(!]

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
I'm noticing my driver side lower cushion to be sagging or something. Maybe the fabric on top is stretching.
Seat still feels the same though.
I weigh about 150 and have sat in the car for 28000 miles + extra time from just being in the car

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
yeah my 07 drivers seat has seen better days, and i only have 32k. the seat back had to go in for warranty work at around 20k because the side bolster separated from the frame. and the seat bottom is just stretching and wearing very badly. makes me mad because i try and keep my interior nice and clean all year round but the driver side seat makes it look like i completely neglect the car. my girlfriend has an ses (with the same amount of miles as mine) with the seat covers with the designs on them and they seem to be holding up much better compared to my base s model seats. i like the simple seats in mine though, its a shame they don't hold up very well. corbeau A4's will hopefully be going in sooner than later. if not i might get them reupholstered and add some more foam for better support if i can find a good shop that wouldn't charge too much.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
43k on my 05 and the seats are just as good as the day i got them... i dont know how people wear their seats out so quick....

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
At about 25k miles, mine looked like this right after I got it...

When you get in the car, that section of foam is bent over a metal section of the inner frame......and you see what happens. It's virtually impossible to avoid putting pressure on the seat as you enter the car. My seat is pushed all the way back. Just bad design, or cheap foam.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
^ that's exactly what happened to mine around 20K.

·
br/o/stang
5,565 Posts
happened to me around 15k i think, ford "fixed" it and it happened again shortly after.. i just took mine apart and glued it back together a few hours ago- hope it lasts!

also, corbeau trs seats are in my future too, sooner rather than later if this doesnt work :D

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I just got back in from washing my car and vacuum the interior and noticed that my seat foam has once again separated causing the metal frame to protrude into my side.

I'm going to go to the dealership again tomorrow since I have the day off, this is going to piss me off if this is just going to keep happening every 15k-20k miles. I didn't ask them what they did last time, if they just repaired the stock foam or replaced it, but this time I'm going to make sure they replace it. I'm also going to ask about the bottom cover, why it's sagging and stretching, maybe i'll get a new seat out of it. Probably not but its worth a shot.

What's really strange is that it's been the passenger side of my driver seat both times. Not the side that seems more probable and common from getting in and out of the car. And no, I'm not a big guy by any means, about 6 ft. 160 lbs. and I don't drive with a gangster lean lol. It doesn't make sense as to why the inside part of the seat is failing but the side closest to the drivers door is still perfect.

·
br/o/stang
5,565 Posts
yeah mines the inside bolster and its ripped top to bottom and a little on the door side one too. well see if my 3m glue and duct tape to reinforce the split will hold up... today was wonderful though

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
what kind of glue did you use bluefront? i was just going to go the the craft store and ask there advice but if your's has lasted longer then just straight foam it must be pretty good.

didn't get a chance to go to the dealership anyway. i'm gonna have to wait till Monday probably

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
what kind of glue did you use bluefront? i was just going to go the the craft store and ask there advice but if your's has lasted longer then just straight foam it must be pretty good.

I glued the foam split back together using a glue called "E6000".....from Hobby Lobby. They assured me this was the best glue for this sort of foam. The thing is drying now.....I'll put the cover on tomorrow. Hope everything goes back together ok.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts