Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers seatbelt will latch up and "lock" as if I am accelerating quickly or braking or turning quickly. this it is suppose to do however over the last few weeks it has gotten worse where when I have it on cruse control at 70 mph the seat belt will lock. or on very wide sweeping on/off ramps.

What could be the likely problem? is there an accelerometer that may be going bad that I can replace? or would it be the mechanical belt recoil that is going bad.

The seat belt does not pull all the way back up into the B-pillar but has about 12" or so of slack.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
All part of the same assembly I'm sure, you'd need a different belt/recoil assy. to change it's operation.

Not fully retracting even with a little "help" to make sure it isn't restricted shows some loss of tension in the retractor spring.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
straight forward to swap out and pull from a junk yard?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't see why not, just don't get one from a crunched car.

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
One of mine not reeling back up correctly either, wondering if I can get it apart to rewind spring say one wrap tighter to recoup the original action. Some things will and others won't, the luck of the draw, can't tell until you get inside. I've done older car belts before and they worked fine. Depends on how they're made.

Again on older assemblies, the 'accelerometer' was simply a straight down hanging bobweight that could wobble out of plumb in all directions, any movement past a certain small amount triggered the belt lockdown. Don't know if they are still made like that.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Prob. hasn't changed.

I rather liked the "inertia" reels that locked with a sudden movement, easy to test for reassurance of proper operation.

Double acting is best for automatic operation IMHO. (inertia/accel)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts