Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of the brand of seam sealer used by the factory on the 2013 focus? Or at least aware of what the dealerships would use now as a replacement sealer? I am having issues with the sealer on the trunk of my 2013 and I'm trying to look for the cause of the failure rather than just repairing it. I deal with sealant defects (among other issues) on aircraft for a living, and it concerns me that my 1.5 year old car is displaying defects in the seam sealer already, especially in a protected area of the car like under the trunk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have not used seam sealer on my focus, but on other cars with rattling panels or leaking seams, I have used SB-12 Metalbond. This stuff is a brutally strong metal adhesive sealant. Not expensive and you dont need a whole lot of it for a strong bond. I suspect Ford OEM is some kind of 3M product.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You're getting water in the trunk? Do you use a pressure washer? If so, I've noticed that because my trunk isn't aligned properly (I postulate) when I point the washer at the right angle it blows right past the seam and i get water all up in my trunk...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is anyone aware of the brand of seam sealer used by the factory on the 2013 focus? Or at least aware of what the dealerships would use now as a replacement sealer? I am having issues with the sealer on the trunk of my 2013 and I'm trying to look for the cause of the failure rather than just repairing it. I deal with sealant defects (among other issues) on aircraft for a living, and it concerns me that my 1.5 year old car is displaying defects in the seam sealer already, especially in a protected area of the car like under the trunk.
Hi Transplant674,

Has your dealer checked it out? Send over the current odometer reading and preferred dealer; I'll look further into this.

Nikki
Ford Service CA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts