Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

i have an oil leak from where my transmission joins together, (gasket) at the bottom,

i was wondering if there was a sealant, not one that you pour into the gear box, but a sealant that you could smear around the outside of the gasket, like creating a barrier for temporary measures, as im not a fan of pouring metal seal into my gearbox

any help appreciated

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Unless there's enough seepage to drip, don't worry about it.

Hard to seal if it's dripping, as you need to get it clean enough for a seal when applying any sealant. Slow & annoying, I might try some black RTV first after cleaning (apply FAST after cleaning).

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
You don't want to seal anything, there are slots or holes on the bottom so if anything does leak it can drip out. If you seal those holes or gaps then the bell housing will start to fill up with fluid. Best to just fix the leak the proper way. If it's leaking it's either the clutch slave cylinder leaking brake fluid, or the main input shaft seal that's on the slave cylinder is leaking trans fluid, or the rear main seal of the motor is leaking oil. Being able to identify which fluid it is can help figure out what it is with out taking it apart yet.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ absolutely!

Bellhousing def. shouldn't be sealed.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I would say identifying the fluid is moot. It's the same procedure to repair either; trans has to come out.
The only thing identifying the fluid may accomplish is to have parts on hand.
And honestly, if you go through the work of pulling the trans you may as well put a new clutch kit in it. So as long as it's not engine oil ...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sheet, he's just gotten a new clutch installed - I'm hoping it's just minor seepage from the gasket & nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Fpr various reasons you will not have success merely gluing up the outside of a leak, it just generally doesn't work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts