Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, ive been wanting to do a fluid flush/ tune up to my car for a week or so, and ive been looking around at different things to change while im at it...

well to clean everything up i would really like to sea foam my engine, but im not sure how...

does anyone have a write up of how to sea foam an svt...?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personally, I would not do it. I have seen some bad problems caused by people trying to use some of these products. It's all personal preference though. Are you having any issues?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my idle is funky sometimes...

when i listen for it, it seems normal like just a good smooth idle, but sometimes at stoplights its like gulping kind of...it goes wuahh wuahh wuahh wuahh...and once from the outside it sounded like it was going to stall...

im not trying to fix this neccesarily, but i want it clean in their!...ive heard several people say that this stuff really helped them out with older cars (crx-si) so i thought hell ill give it a try!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Being a Automotive Technician for 17 years, I have only seen the bad things that have come out of using this stuff. But then again, I only see the cars when they have a problem so I am kinda biased. The way that I see it, all of the modern oil has enough additives in it to clean very well as long as you change it when they recomend ( or more often) Most of these products were developed in the 60's and 70's to fight the problems they had back then. I have seen spun bearings, lifter failure, oil pump failure just to name a few because of some of these engine cleaners. The stuff may work, I have never tried it due to the issues I have seen on some of my customers cars after they tried it. Just my .02.

·
Registered
891 Posts
do the seafoam....it makes the car nicer.

You want to have the car HOT like after a drive,

Then you want to pour half a bottle into a clean cup.

Then you need to find your VAC hose.

It's very easy to find....Look at the Intake. The hose you want is this skinny stiff hose clipped by a small clip to this larger hose.

Then if you look to your right this skinny hose goes to its connection

Then you pull it off the plastic and use it to suck your seafoam.

Make sure not to dip your hose in the cup. YOUR CAR WILL STALL.
SLOWLY little by little let it suck it up. When it's all gone shut off your car and let it sit for 5 - 10 min. Then start it....it will hesitate on you for a little bit but dont worry. Now go for a drive. I recommend getting on a freeway or doing a few hard runs to let all the smoke clear away. After there is no more smoke coming out of the tail pipe then you can go home.

I hope this helped.

DISCLAIMER-----------I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR WRONGDOINGS.

Alex

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have heard good from sea foam as well on some slightly older cars but has he said wait that 5-10 minutes in full...i made the mistake, while with some friends, of hitting my start button before that and it exploded my intake manifold....but i do believe the bottle says 1/3 not half just be careful man...

Andrew

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Also you can run it through your fuel system. Just pour 1/2 a bottle in your tank next time you refill.

·
Registered
144 Posts
every other car i've done this on worked very well, but i would not recommend it on the SVT Focus. I did it exactly how the other guy said to, hot engine... vacuum line... drive hard... but when i went to restart my car... IT BLEW MY INTAKE MANIFOLD COMPLETELY OFF! luckily ours are held on by the rubber couplers or it might have been destroyed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
my idle is funky sometimes...

when i listen for it, it seems normal like just a good smooth idle, but sometimes at stoplights its like gulping kind of...it goes wuahh wuahh wuahh wuahh...and once from the outside it sounded like it was going to stall...

im not trying to fix this neccesarily, but i want it clean in their!...ive heard several people say that this stuff really helped them out with older cars (crx-si) so i thought hell ill give it a try!
You may want to try cleaning your throttle body, the MAF sensor, maybe fuel filter, check your plugs and make sure they look good.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i will not put it in the crankcase.

but i have put it in the fuel and also have put it in my induction system. i too used the vacuum tube pictured above.

it smokes alot, but in all honesty, i dont think i felt or seen a difference from before an after

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do the seafoam....it makes the car nicer.

You want to have the car HOT like after a drive,

Then you want to pour half a bottle into a clean cup.

Then you need to find your VAC hose.

It's very easy to find....Look at the Intake. The hose you want is this skinny stiff hose clipped by a small clip to this larger hose.

Then if you look to your right this skinny hose goes to its connection

Then you pull it off the plastic and use it to suck your seafoam.

Make sure not to dip your hose in the cup. YOUR CAR WILL STALL.
SLOWLY little by little let it suck it up. When it's all gone shut off your car and let it sit for 5 - 10 min. Then start it....it will hesitate on you for a little bit but dont worry. Now go for a drive. I recommend getting on a freeway or doing a few hard runs to let all the smoke clear away. After there is no more smoke coming out of the tail pipe then you can go home.

I hope this helped.

Alex
this should be stickied for nubbs like me that dont know this simple stuff...

i think i might try it in fuel and through the vacuum line...not the crankcase though....

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have done it 3 times by now and no ill effects. I would not recommend putting that stuff in your gas tank because u will clog your fuel filter with all the extra crap awaken by seafoam. Just add some fuel cleaner from autozone for 2.99. Doing seafoam on an SVT helps a little bit with MPG on the freeway. Thats where i noticed it the most.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its been a full day since i sea foamed my engine...havnt gone through a full tank of gas to clean that out yet, but dang!

i honostly believe their is a difference...it just seems cleaner, newer, and smoother....

sounds kinda wierd but i have a cai, orp and tb, which has made the car a lil (a lot) louder...and the tone i hear after sea foam really seems to just sound like a newer car with a totally clean engine...

idk though maybe im just hearing what i want to hear!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts