Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a 2012 Titanium HB but decided not to because of the DCT. Instead, I am now looking at a 2012 SE HB Man and I was wondering what titanium features I can add over time.
I would like to know if adding things like:

• Auto climate control (for looks)
  • Ambient lighting
  • Rear Disks
  • One-touch on all windows
  • cruise and secondary audio control
  • intelligent and push-button start
is possible. I read that I can add MFT or Sync 3 but would like to know what I can work on. If there are any feature differences I missed let me know too, I'd like to compare the trims.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
179 Posts
For the auto climate control, there was a thread in the tech section about a kit to upgrade to the 8" sync3. I don't know if that includes climate control, but it is pretty much integrated into the larger screen units. This would be a minimum first step.

For the ambient lighting, this may be possible with the right electronics, but at this point, I think you're looking at swapping in the entire BCM and associated stuff.

Rear disc brakes are certainly nice to have. This might be doable with wrecker parts. So far as I'm aware the suspension parts themselves are the same as far as the wheel hubs. I don't know if the ABS sensors will be the same, there seems to be a difference for cars that come with the park assist. This would take some specific research.

One touch windows will come with the BCM

Secondary audio? You mean the steering wheel controls? There have been threads about that, it seems that you mostly need the steering wheel and some faculty with Forscan. Apparently some Escape steering wheels also work. Cruise control seems to be a Forscan thing, too.

Intelligent access and Push-button start. You don't want the intelligent access. It's a pain. Sometimes it takes forever to register to lock the doors, or it unlocks the doors AFTER I pull the damn handle. The sensors are affected by rain or snow, you can't use gloves. For whatever reason, my car almost never responds to my left hand (Which I typically want to use to open or lock the driver's side door) The push button start is nice though. I'm pretty sure that this is a non-trivial mod, and it'd probably be cheaper and easier to put the 5 speed manual into the Titanium. This affects the handles on all 4 doors as well as the hatch.

The more of this that you want to do, the more likely that you want to buy the Titanium and do a 5 speed swap instead.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I’m pretty sure there’s a manual black ‘15 Titanium Hatch for sale in the SoCal area with extremely low miles, check CarGuru’s. It was priced low at like 10.5k. w/ 39k miles.

I have a Titanium Hatch & it’s way nicer vs. an SE in the inside. If you’re gonna drive a manual just get the ST. It looks better than all of them except the RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the auto climate control, there was a thread in the tech section about a kit to upgrade to the 8" sync3. I don't know if that includes climate control, but it is pretty much integrated into the larger screen units. This would be a minimum first step.

For the ambient lighting, this may be possible with the right electronics, but at this point, I think you're looking at swapping in the entire BCM and associated stuff.

Rear disc brakes are certainly nice to have. This might be doable with wrecker parts. So far as I'm aware the suspension parts themselves are the same as far as the wheel hubs. I don't know if the ABS sensors will be the same, there seems to be a difference for cars that come with the park assist. This would take some specific research.

One touch windows will come with the BCM

Secondary audio? You mean the steering wheel controls? There have been threads about that, it seems that you mostly need the steering wheel and some faculty with Forscan. Apparently some Escape steering wheels also work. Cruise control seems to be a Forscan thing, too.

Intelligent access and Push-button start. You don't want the intelligent access. It's a pain. Sometimes it takes forever to register to lock the doors, or it unlocks the doors AFTER I pull the damn handle. The sensors are affected by rain or snow, you can't use gloves. For whatever reason, my car almost never responds to my left hand (Which I typically want to use to open or lock the driver's side door) The push button start is nice though. I'm pretty sure that this is a non-trivial mod, and it'd probably be cheaper and easier to put the 5 speed manual into the Titanium. This affects the handles on all 4 doors as well as the hatch.

The more of this that you want to do, the more likely that you want to buy the Titanium and do a 5 speed swap instead.
Thanks, I can deal with using the key, I'll swap to sync 3 and use the manual climate if need be. I don't need the ambient lighting perse but I will swap the steering wheel. There is a titanium auto for sale here for 1500 less but don't want a hack job of a transmission. Hence why I'd rather try this. I didn't think push button would be possible, thanks for the conformation.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can't get auto climate control because it is also dual zone and requires additional motors and dampers in the dash. The sync upgrade may be an option but it is not for the faint of heart or light of wallet. Add heated seats and the leather steering wheel, and then a rear view mirror backup camera, 17 or 18* factory wheels and a upgraded rear sway bar. Tint the windows, add some chrome trim bits and call it a day. I did all that minus the leather seats on my 12 se Hatch 5spd and it was a good looking, sharp handling fun to drive car. My 15 SE Hatch has factory leather seats and backup camera already, so I added some trim bits and the sway bar and tint, and get compliments everywhere I go. The best upgrades you can do for immediate gratification will be the leather wheel and the rear sway bar, thry make it feel like a totally different car without affecting the ride quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm still saving and praying that it doesn't sell. Once I have enough to spend on it I'll go for it.
Curious - price and how many miles?

Yea, I think I'll install sync3 or mft and keep it at that. I appreciate the reality check.
I don't have MFT, but I remember reviews constantly bitching about it. Maybe it's not something you need, unless the problems were fixed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, given the number of complaints about the stock base radio devolving into a hissing, staticy mess that can't be shut off, comparatively the sync3 head unit, and the MFT seem to be quite nice.

For the price tag, personally, I'd just go completely aftermarket for the radio, if presented with a car that had the base radio or even sync1 with the small screen. There seems to be a decent install kit option form iDataLink for the Gen 3 Focus, and the electronics to connect the steering wheel audio controls also exists which makes for a very nice package at a fraction of the cost of the sync3 kit. A good aftermarket stereo would probably make me much happier in the long run.

Since I have the MFT, and Sony 10 speaker setup, as well as the other goodies that come in the Titanium pakage, going to an aftermarket stereo is basically not in the cards, and I have to be more or less content with the stock setup, as going aftermarket becomes quite difficult.

My initial answer about the kit above was based on the OP wanting to go with factory stuff, and not just wanting a better sound system. I'll maintain though that the cheapest way to get the Titanium package stuff with a 5 speed is to buy a Titanium and swap in the 5 speed, which I'm giving serious consideration to if this DCT dies before I can sell this car to get a DD that I like more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll maintain though that the cheapest way to get the Titanium package stuff with a 5 speed is to buy a Titanium and swap in the 5 speed, which I'm giving serious consideration to if this DCT dies before I can sell this car to get a DD that I like more.
I was wondering about doing the 5spd swap but I was told it can end up being expensive or a hack job.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You could be line me....... I grabbed a full leather interior, homelink visor, trunk lid cover, AVS window guards, handle trim and some other goodies for $300.00. Threw all that in and it's as close as I'll come to a Titanium. I'm not a chrome guy, otherwise I could have done that.

Everything was a straight swap but a sensor in the passenger seat. Otherwise it's like 13 bolts and it's done.

Only other thing I want to do is the rear brake swap. There are quite a few Foci and my junkyard, so it's a matter of will.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I was wondering about doing the 5spd swap but I was told it can end up being expensive or a hack job.
No way I'd try that, unless I felt confident I could knock it out myself. Whoever you're bringing it to likely has never done an MK3 5spd before, and you could end up with a hacked-up dead car. If you want the Titanium stuff, I'd just research that and add things over time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts