Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The engine internals are different as well.
For example, consider the difference in compression ratio.

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
[welcome]

You would need EVERYTHING from the ST to swap into your SE, engine, trans, ecu, ect ect. Most parts are not interchangeable with your SE for what you want to do. If you want an ST its best to go buy an ST.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Yup.

If you get a chance to look closer, not only are the internals different to create a different compression ratio - but there IS no "exh. manifold" to swap as the ST has it built into the head casting.

Do know the blocks are different, the ST uses a balance shaft assy. like the 2.3's used - and no answers yet on whether the head would bolt on to a N/A 2.0.

·
FF Affiliate
31,164 Posts
Give your wife the MK3 , you take her 2005 and turbo charge it , turbo , built engine and you will BLISTER 98% of all ST on the road and out run most of the RS

Tom

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
So you didn't want to spend (about) an additional $115/month, because you couldn't afford it.
But somehow you can afford to have downtime with the brand new car to instal, at minimum, thousands of dollars of ST parts?

Do you see where the logic is lost here?

Even if it were as simple as bolting on the turbo bits from the ST, you'd still have to spend well over a thousand dollars ... if not closer to $3-$4,000.
This makes the price of the ST much more appealing and justifies the additional payment.

At a savings of $115/month, you're not going to accomplish much. Drive the car and be happy with it as is.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I HIGHLY disagree with Tom. Don't do what he said. He just wants you to buy his kits. You see the thing is, I DO recommend getting an ST and trading in a vehicle. You get higher HP, a stock turbo, and upgrades and all with a warranty. I don't care what anyone says, but you can't put a price on a piece of mind. IF you truly want to do an ST swap, I recommend looking for a wrecked ST, as that is what I have been looking at myself. There is a local guy who wants 2500 for the complete engine and 1000 for the transmission. I would love to do it, but not until my N/A engine goes. That being said, it is possible but be prepared to fork out at least 4-5k for the full swap.

·
FF Affiliate
31,164 Posts
First please let me say I DO NOT sell a Duratec Turbo kit , Some people have agendas and think everything I post about is to sell something and thats rarely the case

There is far more work then buying a ST engine and trans and installing it , you have to change the entire wiring harness as well up to the dash for everything to work , thats a LOT of work , Duratec Turbo kit would cost you about 4500 all said and done with change left , and 1/5 the work to get it running

Tom

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I think the OP should buy an ST

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
First let me say THANKS! For all the replies & great info, and as for Tom just wanting so sell me something, I didn't take it that way, and I always welcome new contacts for parts and other resources, so it's all good. "Skypilot", I am new to "THIS FORUM" but your reply sounded kinda condescending (and by the way, the lower end commonly called the block on my SE is exactly the same base block as the ecoboost in the ST according to Kevin McIntire at Ford Racing) and maybe not everyone read my post. I'm a very experienced mechanic and built my first V8 when I was 15 and that was long enough back that most if you guys probably weren't born yet, so I know exactly what I'm looking at but haven't done this kind of work on a car this new, nor have I ever done anything like this on a FWD car so I know there's a lot in store I haven't realized yet. That's the whole reason I'm on here posting in the first place, to have others "share" their experiences. This brings me to one reply in particular. "IMINHELL" That's an appropriate user name considering your attitude. Where do you get off talking to ANYONE like that? Much less a new member to the forum asking for input? If I was looking for something "easy" I'd never have done ANY projects, and usually someone looking for the easy way don't have the drive or imagination to dedicate themselves to any project. Besides, how boring is it to do something that anyone could do. The point is to end up with a car that looks like every other focus, but ends up unique. Anyway, I really appreciate all the replies and I'm looking forward to hearing more from everyone that has some "positive" input. On that note, PLEASE, if you don't have anything better to do than search the forums looking for someone to be a smartass to, or don't have anything to say beyond negative comments and attitude, please keep it to yourself. Thanks
You are asking for all kinds of trouble with that post.

My original reply wasn't condescending thank you, but this one will be. Yes your right the Block is the same as your SE! However EVERYTHING else is not. All the internals are not the same, the head is not the same, you said turbos (plural) There is only one. Headers (plural) again there is only one. Y pipe? yeah dont have one, and unless its a Subaru or some odd engine, no 4 Cly is going to have a Y pipe. If you were such the mechanic as you proclaim to be, you would know these basic things.

If you want to spend THOUSANDS of $$$$ and Hundreds of Hours tearing apart your brand new car please feel free, You said you couldn't afford an ST, yet by the time you do all this work you will have spent more than what an ST cost. [poke]

Like everyone else has said in this thread if you want an ST go buy one.

Have fun!

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I have to agree with skypilot, he was welcoming you to this forum. With you acting that way, okietech, you are seriously not being very cool about Skypilot helping you. That was a messed up move on your part. All of us on here are pretty knowledgeable on this platform.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think the responsible thing would be to buy a new car yes,

But if you want a ST (performance) you can get a turbo and be much faster for much cheaper. Its NOT for everyone, your going to need time if things break and alternate transportation to get to work, but If you have that and want to go fast maybe a turbo duratec would be fun.

Its a matter of what fits the persons need and desires for a car.

Lets not assume everytime tom makes an opinion he selling something, far as I know, I have never seen anything on sale on his website besides Tuning Hardware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To all the members that posted replies to my thread with info and a positive outlook, I say thank you.Until I switched away from the mobile platform I had very few options and could not see member info. I can now see that Skypilot is a forum moderator. I thought the definition of the word meant "to moderate"? It should read "escalator". In any event, if any of you moderators have the ability to remove my thread, please do so, as I can't find an option to remove or delete it myself. Sorry to have invaded your space and caused an uproar but before I go let me say that my 2014 SE and the 2014 ST listed in this thread IN FACT have the same Block, and the Same Transmission. Those items in SP's original post were incorrect, or what us non-mechanics call WRONG! and for my part, I used poor grammar and sentence form when my phone turned turbo to turbos and Y-pipe to Y-pipes with the last being totally an incorrect synonym for exhaust output flange. Again, my apologies for posting such an ignorant question in such an ignorant manner on your enlightened site. I hope I didn't offend all the intellectually superior technicians or "moderators" with my stupidity. The "moderators" should also take a look at one of the response posts from member "iminhell". Maybe if you had been moderating when that post hit, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I've never been to a forum and been treated so RUDELY, so quick. Anyway, goodnight all

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
To all the members that posted replies to my thread with info and a positive outlook, I say thank you.Until I switched away from the mobile platform I had very few options and could not see member info. I can now see that Skypilot is a forum moderator. I thought the definition of the word meant "to moderate"? It should read "escalator". In any event, if any of you moderators have the ability to remove my thread, please do so, as I can't find an option to remove or delete it myself. Sorry to have invaded your space and caused an uproar but before I go let me say that my 2014 SE and the 2014 ST listed in this thread IN FACT have the same Block, and the Same Transmission. Those items in SP's original post were incorrect, or what us non-mechanics call WRONG! and for my part, I used poor grammar and sentence form when my phone turned turbo to turbos and Y-pipe to Y-pipes with the last being totally an incorrect synonym for exhaust output flange. Again, my apologies for posting such an ignorant question in such an ignorant manner on your enlightened site. I hope I didn't offend all the intellectually superior technicians or "moderators" with my stupidity. The "moderators" should also take a look at one of the response posts from member "iminhell". Maybe if you had been moderating when that post hit, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I've never been to a forum and been treated so RUDELY, so quick. Anyway, goodnight all
You can call me an escalator all you want, But if you call me out (or anyone for that matter) thats what you're going to get. My original post was not condescending as you claim. Im not joking when I say you need everything, Yes they share the same block, the similarities end there, The transmissions are NOT the same, Your SE has either the DCT or 5, speed, the ST has a 6 speed. You'll need to replace your tranny if you have the DCT because as far as we know its only good for about 190-200 ft/lb. Heck if you want to know how many differences there are, the Coolant resivor in your SE is different! You need literary almost everything from the firewall forward, except that block you already have! [:)~]

I picked you apart because it was unnecessary for you to call me out when I gave you the information you asked for. And everyone else said the same thing I did, Buy an ST.

I invite you to look around here, and do some reading. [read] A bunch of information can be found about modding your focus. If you are dead set on an ST swap you would be the first. And If you do, I welcome you to post a build thread. But your logic is really flawed if you said you cannot afford an ST but somehow can afford thousands of dollars of parts to make your own. [dunno]

Duratec Ti-VCT Performance
MK3 Interior Mods
MK3 Focus

Hey look some awesome places where you can learn about your focus!

If your going to call out everyone that answers your question, you'll get a negative response just about every time <internet forum pro tip. [thumb]

And once again [welcome]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
How to respond, when the OP seems more interested in argument than discussion?

Maybe just make a few points & see how they're taken.

First, many here may seem a bit "jaded", after seeing a lot of posts dreaming of an easy engine swap from the ST to the MkIII. The facts are that it won't be easy or cheap, and not all the facts are in yet on the details as a successful swap has yet to be reported here.

There IS an existing thread in the Engine & Trans Swap area which has been collecting pertinent details in the hope of making it easier for the first person to actually attempt this. That one has both confirmed & denied some of the rumors on what will & won't work, while leaving some important questions to be answered.

The current debate here on such major mods. is over the degree of encouragement/discouragement that is appropriate. While some deplore the lack of risk taking being encouraged, others feel that sticking to the most accurate info. avail. will be the most helpful as a "reality check" so that more projects are actually completed.

okietech's contribution of info. on the block is interesting as far as it goes, but it still leaves some questions unanswered. As I mentioned earlier, we KNOW that the block has been machined differently than the one used in the 2.0 TiVCT, if only in the changes needed to add the balance shaft assy. not used in the N/A version. There still remains a question on whether the transmissions bolt up in the same manner, haven't seen a confirmation or denial on that yet. It DOES imply that the heads should be interchangeable, one of the guesses that's been floating around based on the best info. to date that the blocks are basically the same.

Transmissions the same? That's one item KNOWN to be different, if only because of a different number of gears & a different supplier. The best GUESS is that axles will be different as well, as they were with a similar difference between MTX-75 & the Getrag six speed in the SVT.

One useful item confirmed is that the body wiring/modules are the same, but ECU & wiring to the engine is decidedly different. Just where the harness differences take place, and how easy the conversion may be, is one of the questions yet to be answered. Programming after installation remains an open question, may not be TOO bad as there won't be the DCT to interface with, but the ABS module will likely be involved as part of the torque distribution system. (we know it needs programming even when transferred between otherwise identical MkIII's)

So, as it stands right now there still seem to be more questions than answers on the details of what's possible, and IMHO that answers WHY most will suggest starting with an ST rather than attempt a swap. Given a MkIII with a destroyed drivetrain & an inexpensive crashed ST donor it would be a great project to attempt, as long as time is no object. Most of the greatest builds chronicled here started with that type of situation, some completed & some an ongoing challenge the owner enjoys when time allows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts