Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Gotta quick question: I really want to upgrade my hum-drum boring power mirrors on my new SE to the ones that have the integrated turn signals built into them. Anybody have any ideas as to the cost and trouble installing them? A Ford dealer told me they would have to come in as unpainted units and then sent to paint. Really??

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I believe what the dealer said is right: primed to paint. They used to have prepainted parts but not so much anymore. Should be easy to remove/install, but you may have to hunt down the wiring if its not in the mirror harness.

I'd give Steve at Tousley Ford a call. He's a member on here and other Ford forums and charges 10% over cost on parts. Plus he's very knowledgable on Foci.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I believe what the dealer said is right: primed to paint. They used to have prepainted parts but not so much anymore. Should be easy to remove/install, but you may have to hunt down the wiring if its not in the mirror harness.

I'd give Steve at Tousley Ford a call. He's a member on here and other Ford forums and charges 10% over cost on parts. Plus he's very knowledgable on Foci.
So I can purchase parts from him and pay for shipping? If so, what's his username on here?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Evidently they banned him on here??? Anyway, he's on FJ http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/ and advertiser over there. Yes, the site is www.tousleyfordparts.com and the 12's aren't yet on the site. I've had to call him for parts for the 12. They're huge online seller and who I deal with even over my local Ford discount. He's also on svtperformance.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeez, it used to be so easy! Just buy a pre-painted part and bolt it on!! Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will keep my eyes on Ebay...

·
Registered
62 Posts
You do not need to change cover of mirror. You just need to change case. You may use your original covers. So you do not need any paint work. I done that before.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not sure about that. Compare the US ones and the covers are different. Ours friends on the other side of the pond may be like that though.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Not sure about that. Compare the US ones and the covers are different. Ours friends on the other side of the pond may be like that though.
Probably still different, I believe the turn signal part is above the black the painted case has a notch cut out at the end to accommodate the signal housing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Probably still different, I believe the turn signal part is above the black the painted case has a notch cut out at the end to accommodate the signal housing.
Yes the signal section is part of the painted area so it's a different piece = need to paint. Sorry guys but Ford's been done with the prepainted pieces for years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This is how the turn signal mirrors are:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not that I want to crush your dream, but I would still see if the wiring is there before going any further with the mirror upgrade. Unless your up for the work providing its not there.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Seriously, leave the unpainted new ones unpainted. It is not an issue.
I broke a mirror on my prior car and got the unpainted one and just stuck it on. It looked perfectly fine, as long as you are not entering some contest.
I never noticed it again, even though one was painted and one black.
So the wiring? it may or may not have the wiring in the door.
You would have to open the door first to know.
Adding the wiring would be a lot of fooling around.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I don't get it. Why isn't this how it is everywhere? Cost cutting is effective and having one piece for all mirrors would be much nicer than 2. Ford is crazy. Oh well, thanks for sharing merruse! We all wish we had some of the Euro stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts