Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to fix weird hesitation issue on my 2000 SE (126k miles). I called Ford certified technician, and he suggested to check catalytic converter. Is it really common for catalytic converter to die after 100k+ miles.

He gave me following clues

1) Fuel Filter
2) TPS
3) Air Filter
4) Spark plug & wires
5) O2 Sensor
6) catalytic converter

I have done item 1 to 4 . Now, I replaced O2 upstream sensor, the one that is between manifold and catalytic converter. I saw another O2 (downstream) sensor on tail of oval catalytic converter that is connected to extended pipe that connects to muffler. Is that oval part called catalytic converter ? Should replacing downstream 02 sensor going to fix my issue ? Is there a way to test catalytic converter so that I know for sure that it's dead.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I know on my '03 SVTF, the downstream O2 sensor went out 2x. That one is the most common one to go. Here in CA, you can legally replace your CAT after 50,000 miles, but the catch is that the replacement CAT has to have a CARB cert stamped on it. The only way I would think of testing a CAT is with a sniffer test and then see what the readings are compared to the norm.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I thought federal law was you can't replace the cat before 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first... so in that case you be good either way...

a hesitation (at least to me) sounds like it might be the fuel filter, or even just the system..... I'd recommend getting at least the fuel system flushed..... improved my foci when I had the flushes done... [:)]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
emission check is not ON, and no codes. I am going to stop by @Autozone to check if there is any pending codes. I heard that sometime pending code will direct you solve issues.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Trying to fix weird hesitation issue on my 2000 SE (126k miles). I called Ford certified technician, and he suggested to check catalytic converter. Is it really common for catalytic converter to die after 100k+ miles.
Even faster with crap fuel, and engine oil burning problems.

He gave me following clues

1) Fuel Filter
2) TPS
3) Air Filter
4) Spark plug & wires
5) O2 Sensor
6) catalytic converter

I have done item 1 to 4 . Now, I replaced O2 upstream sensor, the one that is between manifold and catalytic converter. I saw another O2 (downstream) sensor on tail of oval catalytic converter that is connected to extended pipe that connects to muffler. Is that oval part called catalytic converter ? Should replacing downstream 02 sensor going to fix my issue ? Is there a way to test catalytic converter so that I know for sure that it's dead.
I agree with the TPS and the regular maintenance items on the list. O2 sensor, only if I can't find anything else. These do grow old, but they don't go bad and lean the mix- they richen it, unlikely to cause a miss. To test cats, the only way I know is to put your foot over the exhaust pipe. If you can't hold it there easily to stall the engine, then there's nothing blocking the exhaust, and the cat is probably ok. Oh, I'd also recommend pulling the EGR off, cleaning it with carb cleaner, and cleaning it's passages of black buildup. At that vehicle age, it's a good idea.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
my 03 blew the cat at 64000 miles the one in my 2000 is starting to go now

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
To test cats, the only way I know is to put your foot over the exhaust pipe.
[duh] Not true, for some reason I forgot the way I used to diagnose cat problems. Remove, and install straight pipe [thumb]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts