Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new SD card in my car (in the center console slot where it belongs) with nothing but some .mp3 files on it (no artwork .JPG files) plays fine, thumbnail of the album art shows on MFT screen along with song name album name etc. great ! but how does the car (sync ?) know all this (its a bunch of Humble Pie songs from the 70s) ???

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know little about the MFT system, but my guess is that it is pulling the information from the ID3 tag system. Early mp3 files were just a file with compressed audio, with no way to identify them outside of the file name.

A tagging system (ID3v1) was added on that could include basic information such as the artist, album, genre, etc. This was extended with a later version (ID3v2) that added additional metadata such as lyrics and even album art.

Not sure what the source of your files is, but all purchased music I've seen in recent years will have the proper tags, including album art, and most modern software to extract music from CD will at least have the option to add album art.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I should have searched first [ohcrap]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts