Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you already have an SCT2 programmer and decide to add a Powerworks S/C kit, are you better off sending your ECM in for their (the Powerworks mail in) tune or sending the SCT2 unit back for new programs compatible with the blower?Anyone have first hand knowledge on this?

·
FF Affiliate
30,983 Posts
If i had to do a mail order tune i would go with the PW or one from McNews

As allways the best and safest tune will come from your car on a dyno with a tuner that knows how to tune a Focus

Tom

·
Registered
456 Posts
Your car won't run properly on a SCT (assuming Xcal2) loaded PW tune alone. People have tried this and ruined their engines in their garages.

You must first get the ECU reflashed by PW. Flash away with whatever PW tune you can find after that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the SCT2 becomes obsolete after the S/C installation?When you send your ECM to Powerworks for the kit tune,do they install a custom program on a chip at that time or is it a reflash to the stock ECM?Are you able to modify it further(fine tune it) later on a dyno or do you have to get another complete reflash?

·
Registered
456 Posts
The ECU gets reflashed - no chip involved.

You can still use our Xcal2 for diagnostics and datalogging. If you have someone send you a Xcal2 tunable PW file you can modify a few select parameters a few percentage points.

Your best bet for fine tuning is always on the dyno with a capable software package. The Xcal2 might not provide enough fidelity depending on what needs to be adjusted based upon what other engine/vehicle changes you have made.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Like COS said, you need the base PW flash, from there I would suggest the big Pro Racer package to tweak it form there.

·
FF Affiliate
30,983 Posts
COSDEVSVT said:
Your car won't run properly on a SCT (assuming Xcal2) loaded PW tune alone. People have tried this and ruined their engines in their garages.

You must first get the ECU reflashed by PW. Flash away with whatever PW tune you can find after that.
If i understand what your saying i dont agrre with this at all , If you get a propper tune you car should run just as well on a SCT / DIABLO tune as it would with the PW flash

Any time you flash or chip a ECU you are totally changing what the settings are in the ECU so even if you did flash the ECU with the PW you would be taking it out when you flashed the ECU with the Xcal

Tom

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I was hoping for was to be able to use the xcal2 to massage the PW mail in program.If I had an Xcal2 and sent that in for the mail in tune, (assuming that is a possibility)get my loaded xcal2 back,flashed my stock ECM,would I be able to tweak the new program a bit?Or is this just overkill as the PW tune is good enough?

·
FF Affiliate
30,983 Posts
The ECU/xcal2 isnt like you can go in and just change say 2% fuel from 2500 to 4000 , If you install another flash with out having the EXACT flash that is in the ECU then it rewrites the entire tune to what is now in the flasher

If you want to make changes in your tune then get the SCT PRP this will allow you to make small changes and have everything needed to do so , this can be done with out having to send in your ECU to PW

Tom

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the imfo.I thought the xcal2's were a little more flexible than they are I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts