Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question but if someone was to buy a used XCAL 2 flashed back to stock I know you can use it for another car. My question is I am being told you can get the down load software off SCT website. How do you get the actual tune do you have to buy it off someone or where do you get it. How do you data log crap. I have asked in another area on here and Pmed wayne but never get my questions answered. I just want to know how do I get this thing to work if I buy it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This came up a while back when some guy was trying to sell his XCAL 2 after using the tune off of it. The thing is, the tune is vehicle specific and you would have to buy a tune from one of the places that offer such a service. They usually email you the code and you download it to the XCAL via a jump cable, then to your car.

Now, here is the important part; the tunes cost about $60 each or more if you don't buy the XCAL from the vendor you are getting the tune from. Vendors will usually give you three tunes with the XCAL upon initial purchase from them, plus about $25 for each additional tune you order as you continue to mod your car. Being as the people I've seen trying to sell their XCAL after using it to tune their car usually try to get nearly the original price they paid for it WITH $180 WORTH OF TUNES INCLUDED when they bought it (you will get it with none), I would just buy it from a good vendor to start with.

You see, even if they are selling it for $200 bucks or less (I can just about guarantee you they are not), after you add in the cost of getting the three tunes yourself, the price is back up to around $400 for a USED XCAL with tunes

None for me, thanks.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I see I know I am not needing the tune. What I need is the tuner and one tune for now I ane the ability to flash back to stock. I would be able to buy another tune later in the following year when I mod my car. I thank you and see your point it will cost the same eventually. I am trying to figure out how it is done if someone was to do it the other way. My car is mostly stock and will be for a while more only have a CAI on it just want a little more pep untill I next winter when I pull my car apart for my Cosworth stage 3. Then I will just buy another tune. Is this a feasable idea.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would contact Marcy or perhaps Tom and see what they charge for a single tune for a device not originally purchased from them. I'm pretty sure it's about $60 each. If some enterprising young lad would sell you an XCAL for around $250 (it should be less, in my view), then you would be paying around $300 for one tune instead of $400 for three.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't attempt to purchase one of these from Marcy. I tried this a few months ago and was still left hanging after more than a month with no contact from him at all, not even to acknowledge payment received. I eventually had to dispute the transaction with Paypal, and they refunded my money because Marcy didn't respond to their emails either.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks I understand but everyone is saying after 6 months it costs extra for a tune anyway and all I need is one then I want more later sounds dumb probably Tom is in the turbo area is that the same one.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wanted Marcy tuning, but I don't even think he's doing it anymore (besides the fact that I've heard so many horror stories about his service). Everyone tells me to go with Randy at FS, he did pioneer the whole tuning thing for the Focus, I've heard, and if you buy the tuner from him, additional tunes are $25. His tunes are $100 if you didn't buy the tuner from him...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I will give him a yell

·
Registered
409 Posts
Or PM me...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts