Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 2420 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dont want to go lower then 180 deg

Tom
oh ok, what is the standard temp in the original one???

the company finally sent the tuner over, i should it by friday!!

oh and another quick question, could you tune the car to backfire, i know its not safe for the engine, but it'd be cool if it could be done!! [hihi][hihi][hihi]

·
Registered
225 Posts
What does the 180 degree thermometer accomplish and is instalation difficult?
the thermostat is a valve design to let in cooling liquid according to the temperature it is set to, say the standard temp of the stock thermostat is at 190, the cooling liquid will be let in to help cool the engine, but if you change it to a lower temp thermostat it'll let the liquid in at an earlier temp [email protected] degrees. so it keeps the engine cooler therefore, if i'm not mistaken, less engine wear, less fuel consumption and so on...

i might be wrong, but this is what i found out reading online.[headbang][headbang][headbang]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does any of this work for a 2013 Focus SE hatchback in manual? I'm confused and can't seem to find any info about tuning for 2012-2013 non ST models. Any info on a tune and what's needed would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Does any of this work for a 2013 Focus SE hatchback in manual? I'm confused and can't seem to find any info about tuning for 2012-2013 non ST models. Any info on a tune and what's needed would be appreciated. Thanks.
Did you not read any of this thread?

·
FF Affiliate
30,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Yes it does work with your 2013 5 speed and I would be glad to help with your tuning

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Tom. I am looking to see if my local dealer does the steeda installs like the steeda website says they do. I was thinking that steeda powerpack that comes with a short throw shifter, Steeda Cold Air Intake, and Magnaflow cat back exhaust I would have installed by them and then tune after that. Do you think that would net me around 30-40 horsepower and 20+ torque? I figure that would run about $2k with everything installed and after the tune. I don't want to spend much more than that or it doesn't make sense for me to keep this car. Is this a realistic gain? I also don't want any kind of exhaust that sounds too raspy or fart pipish. Anyone in here have any good recommendations for an exhaust system that gives solid gains but that doesn't sound like boy racer?

·
FF Affiliate
30,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
You wont see a 30-40hp gain from those mods

You can get a short throw , drop in K&N and exh that will do as good and save you some money , look around a bit more

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
What NA mods can I do in this car that will give me 30-40 more? Even with a tune with those mods and I still won't get at least 30 more? Man...

·
Thread Killer
2,712 Posts
Sorry for the late reply on this...was busy with work and such

Really, really, REALLY love my choice with this tune! The base tune that Tom gives you is great over stock, but the custom tune that he does is beyond what I expected it to be over the base tune. Tom really makes everything just click!

After I emailed Tom my data log, 3-4 hours later he sends me back my custom tune. Like before, I plugged it all in and followed the on screen prompts. Once everything was set, I was off and running. The main thing I noticed was throttle response. In the base tune, I felt that the throttle response was good, but had room to improve. After the custom tune, it felt like it was back to throttle cable. You push the gas and it goes! Next thing was the butt dyno powa! Through all the gears, I can feel a pull that just puts a smile on my face. The first gear runs wants to (on certain roads) break loose the tires. From first to second, tires give an awesome bark. As far as drivability goes, it feels just as solid as the base tune. The base tune gave me a safe, reliable feel that got rid of all the things that bugged me about this car. The rough idle, lag through gears, etc. were gone. They are still gone and I have more power that I can actually feel.

All in all, still VERY pleased with my purchase! Money very well spent!

·
Thread Killer
2,712 Posts
Can you add a two step feature with this tune also?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
2-step and anti-lag are 2 diff things

2 step your in gear , throttle to the floor and hitting a rev limiter when you let off the clutch (throttle still floored) and hit X MPH the rev lim is turned off and away you go

AL or Anti-Lag is when you have a turbo and your shifting gears and say going from 3rd to 4th when you let off the throttle in most cars you retard the timing and go rich , with AL you go very high on the timing and lean the engine which creates heat and keeps the turbo spooled at a higher rpm , turbo spools by 2 things heat and psi , the heat from the split second higher timing and less fuel keeps it spooled better

Tom
^^^This Tom, was what I meant by launch control lol...I would really like to have that set up too if you wouldn't mind [:)]

·
Registered
904 Posts
What NA mods can I do in this car that will give me 30-40 more? Even with a tune with those mods and I still won't get at least 30 more? Man...
Go to page 1 of this thread and READ! It will give you all the info you will need! And also understand that if you go with Tom for tuning he will tune your car for SAFE performance meaning he will get you as much power from whatever mods you happen to have and do it in a way that your car will still perform safely. No point in having 40 extra ponies if your motor blows up in your face 1000 miles down the road. I personally would rather have 10 extra horses over 40 if my car will still run!

·
FF Affiliate
30,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I dont thing anything short of , headers , cams , 3 inch Exh , intake , tune will net a 30-40 hp gain to the wheels

Tom

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
Why worry about upgraded springs when there isn't even any cams to use them?

What you read was about the previous focus motors that required stronger and better springs to handle big cams. I'm sure this one will probably be the same if they were ever to make cams for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys I did read these threads and couldn't find anything related to what I asked. I'm not sure why you all keep saying read page 1. I don't see anything on page 1 with regard to NA mods or whether or not this stuff is specific to the ST or not. I apologize if I am wrong but honestly I don't see any information which is why I'm asking. I respectfully request that if you don't have anything informative to add to my questions then don't waste your time or mine by referring me to a page where you claim the holy grail to all my answers exists when I have already been there and don't see it. Thanks!

So I guess these little cars are not really all that mod friendly because you'd have to spend a mint to get as little as 30hp and that would be even if the parts exist which apparently they don't? How much power could I reasonably expect to get for spending $2k on CAI, exhaust (which aint cheap), SCT and custom tune? 10hp? 20 maybe? Not really worth the expense I suppose if that's the case. Thank you Tom. Your reputation for helping the new and inexperienced here is well deserved! :)

·
Thread Killer
2,712 Posts
Guys I did read these threads and couldn't find anything related to what I asked. I'm not sure why you all keep saying read page 1. I don't see anything on page 1 with regard to NA mods or whether or not this stuff is specific to the ST or not. I apologize if I am wrong but honestly I don't see any information which is why I'm asking. I respectfully request that if you don't have anything informative to add to my questions then don't waste your time or mine by referring me to a page where you claim the holy grail to all my answers exists when I have already been there and don't see it. Thanks!

So I guess these little cars are not really all that mod friendly because you'd have to spend a mint to get as little as 30hp and that would be even if the parts exist which apparently they don't? How much power could I reasonably expect to get for spending $2k on CAI, exhaust (which aint cheap), SCT and custom tune? 10hp? 20 maybe? Not really worth the expense I suppose if that's the case. Thank you Tom. Your reputation for helping the new and inexperienced here is well deserved! :)
$2k is a lil extreme. Nobody chimed in, but you will be spending more like $1kish for those mods.

FSWerks 2.5" race exhaust-$500
A tune from Tom-$430
FSWerks intake (best bang for your buck) -$170

Those mods will net you about 15ish-20ish hp. If you go on FSWerks website (I know...I keep mentioning them) you can see the dyno sheets on what their mods provide. Tom will not post anything on what his tunes will do cause, every car is different. He tunes your car to your engine/transmission. You could get 4hp out of it or 14hp. He will tune it to be safe and not balls out power. If you want balls out power out of daily driver, then you will not have any reliability and could be stuck on the side of the road with problem after problem.

Unfortunately, there is not a whole bunch of aftermarket for these cars yet, but we have tuning now and that's a step forward in the right direction.

Sent from meh fone

·
Registered
5 Posts
$2k is a lil extreme. Nobody chimed in, but you will be spending more like $1kish for those mods.
Uhh what about install? I don't know anyone who can do it and I can't do it so install expense must be considered as well. I've been around long enough to know it will run about $2k with parts, install and tune. I guess I answered my own question in that it won't likely be worth the expense for such minimal gains.

161 - 180 of 2420 Posts