Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 2420 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Two Step aka Anti-Lag, never seen the reason for it on a NA car since theres no turbo to spool up.
2-step and anti-lag are 2 diff things

2 step your in gear , throttle to the floor and hitting a rev limiter when you let off the clutch (throttle still floored) and hit X MPH the rev lim is turned off and away you go

AL or Anti-Lag is when you have a turbo and your shifting gears and say going from 3rd to 4th when you let off the throttle in most cars you retard the timing and go rich , with AL you go very high on the timing and lean the engine which creates heat and keeps the turbo spooled at a higher rpm , turbo spools by 2 things heat and psi , the heat from the split second higher timing and less fuel keeps it spooled better

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a '12 SE Hatch with the sports package with the DT. I noticed some huge discrepancies in 0-60 times among testers; with the fastest 0-60 being 7.5 sec, slowest just under 9 seconds with a similarly equipped car? Im pretty sure the 7.5 was achieved in S mode, traction control off and doing the brake on, revs to 4k release the brake step back the gas (to avoid wheel spin) launch. It would be tough to time a start using this technique but may work good for Auto-X when you trip a timer.

The car handles much better with traction control "off" however its not all the way off, but more like a sport mode that allows slightly more wheel spin. My opinion anyway.

I think that the car is faster, even in a streight line with traction control off.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,113 Posts
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but 1) does this tune change the DCT parameters as well, or just engine, and 2) will this tune be able to be used in conjunction with a DCT tune from another company?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but 1) does this tune change the DCT parameters as well, or just engine, and 2) will this tune be able to be used in conjunction with a DCT tune from another company?
Tom has stated he's been playing around with the DCT tuning on his own car. [8D]

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
You get an engine tune and the DCT , 5 speed MK3 would get the engine tune

No my Custom Tuning would not work in conjunction with another company's DCT tune

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I have a '12 SE Hatch with the sports package with the DT. I noticed some huge discrepancies in 0-60 times among testers; with the fastest 0-60 being 7.5 sec, slowest just under 9 seconds with a similarly equipped car? Im pretty sure the 7.5 was achieved in S mode, traction control off and doing the brake on, revs to 4k release the brake step back the gas (to avoid wheel spin) launch. It would be tough to time a start using this technique but may work good for Auto-X when you trip a timer.

The car handles much better with traction control "off" however its not all the way off, but more like a sport mode that allows slightly more wheel spin. My opinion anyway.

I think that the car is faster, even in a streight line with traction control off.
There will always be huge discrepancies when using a watch or stop watch , just thinking about hitting the timing takes .5-1 second then you have , winds , temps , road conditions , traction , driver etc etc etc

Tom

·
Registered
470 Posts

I've heard of similar numbers and had a similar experience with the "traction control" as well. Sometimes depending on the road surface I'm faster with it off but if the pavement is smooth forget about it! I leave it on.

Any ideas what the best 0-60 timer is for the money? I have been just using my phone video to study each frame but I know the speedo is not accurate. Plus, the acceleration apps on my iphone aren't all that accurate either I think...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi! Tom, im still waiting for my device... :( but they say it should arrive by the 22nd, anyways i wanted to ask you that if i wanted to get the most out of my car, like have it fine tune to its near limit for the track, could you do that in one seasion? Or do i need to upload the base tune and work it up to my satisfaction? Thank you!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I'm just not sure if dyno tuning is worth it on a 2013 Ford Focus SE 5 speed. Can anyone confirm this?
I dont feel dyno tuning is worth it unless you have a a built engine , cams , etc and wanting to know the hp/tq numbers , My custom tune will get you a very good tune and its done the same way it would be done is you were sitting on a dyno

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Hi! Tom, im still waiting for my device... :( but they say it should arrive by the 22nd, anyways i wanted to ask you that if i wanted to get the most out of my car, like have it fine tune to its near limit for the track, could you do that in one seasion? Or do i need to upload the base tune and work it up to my satisfaction? Thank you!! :D
They said 8-10 days I guess they didnt know what they were talking about , I tune for safety first then the best performance I can get with in those limits , I would do a drop in filter and a 180 deg thermostat

You can cross over the # below and should be able to get one in your area

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/thermostat/mazda/3.html

06 2006 Mazda 3 Thermostat 2.3L 4 Cyl Beck Arnley
Your Price: $29.95
Product SKU: 143-0838
Product Note: Engine Coolant Thermostat -- w/ HOUSING, OE TEMPERATURE; Includes Gasket/Seal; FEATURE #1 Features a standard Jiggle Valve where required by OE.; FEATURE #2 Constructed from High Quality Stainless Steel and Copper to Prevent Corrosion.; FEATURE #3 Certified ISO 9002, QS 9000, ISO/TS 16949 Manufacturer; FEATURE #4 Housing with long stroke for maximum cooling; FEATURE #5 Self Cleaning; INCLUDES HOUSING YES; TEMPERATURE 82
Inventory: In Stock
Condition: New

Tom

·
Registered
225 Posts
They said 8-10 days I guess they didnt know what they were talking about , I tune for safety first then the best performance I can get with in those limits , I would do a drop in filter and a 180 deg thermostat

You can cross over the # below and should be able to get one in your area

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/thermostat/mazda/3.html

06 2006 Mazda 3 Thermostat 2.3L 4 Cyl Beck Arnley
Your Price: $29.95
Product SKU: 143-0838
Product Note: Engine Coolant Thermostat -- w/ HOUSING, OE TEMPERATURE; Includes Gasket/Seal; FEATURE #1 Features a standard Jiggle Valve where required by OE.; FEATURE #2 Constructed from High Quality Stainless Steel and Copper to Prevent Corrosion.; FEATURE #3 Certified ISO 9002, QS 9000, ISO/TS 16949 Manufacturer; FEATURE #4 Housing with long stroke for maximum cooling; FEATURE #5 Self Cleaning; INCLUDES HOUSING YES; TEMPERATURE 82
Inventory: In Stock
Condition: New

Tom
i already have the drop in, i just ordered a CAI. I couldn't find any place that sells thermostats in Bangkok. And i couldn't find anything else online for this particular thermostat. [???:)][???:)][???:)]

i can understand that you tune for safety first, i just want the best performance out of the cars with the mods i had put in. [hihi][hihi][hihi]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Find that 180 thermostat it helps

Tom
Tom, i think i found a place to buy the thermostat, so i should get the 180degrees fahrenheit??? so thats about 82degrees celsius, if i can't find the exact degrees, should i get one lower than this, or a higher one???

141 - 160 of 2420 Posts