Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 2420 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
- Install some software
- Let Tom log into your machine a la the internet to setup your logs
- Take laptop to car, hook it all up
- Take a friend, it's safer. Have friend hit record, do your idle, WOT, cruise and have friend hit stop.
- Save the file with a good name, send it to Tom.

In a nutshell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a '13 Focus Sedan 5 speed - I'm looking at the website - I assume this is the product I need to get: Ford Focus Duratec Ti-VCT Tune?

Pretty tempted to buy one today...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Question: Lets say I fill my tank with 100 octane, and Tom adjusts/customizes my tune for that octane level; can I then (quick and easily) flash it back-and-forth from standard premium 91, and 100 octane whenever I want?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
it's pretty quick. it takes between 5 and 10 minutes to change tunes but you can swap back and forth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone tried to program the Focus with a preloaded tune file? I assume that a preloaded tune is similar to a canned tune that gives the car some benefits, but not to its full extent?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, the tuner will first send a base tune file depending on the strategy code found in the ECU.
In Tom's tune case, a datalog will reveal what improvements can be made to the base tune file, hence he will modify the base tune file accordingly

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK - I am convinced that Tom's tune is the real deal. My car felt much more alive. The shifting is much better. I smiled every time I floored it or changed gears. [driving] My adrenaline was definitely pumping. Oh, man. There is no way I am going back to stock tune, unless I need to take it in for car service. I cannot believe I have not done this sooner.

Honestly, if you can read a manual and follow Tom's instructions, you will get your car tuned properly. It is actually easier than you think.

There was a post asking a question if Tom's tune made the car $400 better. My answer to that question is: Yes. It felt like I bought a new Focus and it has more power, better shifting, reduced lag time, and overall improvement in every area. I am going to drive around for a while and get back with Tom to make some more adjustments as needed, and of course, to tell him how it feels and if there is any issue.

Great work, Tom! [thumb]

·
Registered
793 Posts
OK - I am convinced that Tom's tune is the real deal. My car felt much more alive. The shifting is much better. I smiled every time I floored it or changed gears. [driving] My adrenaline was definitely pumping. Oh, man. There is no way I am going back to stock tune, unless I need to take it in for car service. I cannot believe I have not done this sooner.

Honestly, if you can read a manual and follow Tom's instructions, you will get your car tuned properly. It is actually easier than you think.

There was a post asking a question if Tom's tune made the car $400 better. My answer to that question is: Yes. It felt like I bought a new Focus and it has more power, better shifting, reduced lag time, and overall improvement in every area. I am going to drive around for a while and get back with Tom to make some more adjustments as needed, and of course, to tell him how it feels and if there is any issue.

Great work, Tom! [thumb]
Great news! You're making me excited! I'm looking forward to seeing the results of tuning to 100 octane.

Hopefully by the time my warranty expires, this will still be an option for me as well.

Thanks for the write-up!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
+Rep for this.

Focus-Power is happy to announce the release of our +2012 MK3 performance and DCT tuning.

We have over a decade of experience in providing full custom tuning to the Focus community.

What you get with our Tune & Device:
  • Unique custom tuning to each customer.
  • Free unlimited lifetime tuning updates.
  • Remote tuning support.
  • Store up to 10 custom tunes.
  • Datalogging ability.
  • Read and clear DTC codes.
Our Price: $399 + $20 shipping

For more information, prices and appointments, please contact Focus-Power
Love the tune, Tom communicates what you need to do well and can't wait to retune after headers are on!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Love the tune, Tom communicates what you need to do well and can't wait to retune after headers are on!
A header is my quickly moving up the list as my next mod.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Tom,
It might be beneficial to maybe go through what options you can and can't change in here. Maybe like a bullet point style.
-I know I've asked via email about the benefits of the 7200 redline with no answer.
-Are you able to change the shiftpoints by MPH? If so would there be any benefit there?
-Can you disable traction control at start up?
-I know of at least a couple people who experience the car seemingly holding first gear for to long when coming to a stop and kind of lugging (I noted this in my data log submission, it was address or talked about)
-What other items are you able to change that would benefit?
-You drive an MK3 right? What have you done to yours?
-What frequently asked items have you had that people might like to know?

I'm not being negative and so far love what you've done to my car! You customer service has been great and I'm a high demanding person (comes with my line of work) and you have so far met or exceeded most of my expectations so thank you for all that you've done. I appreciate all of your hard work.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Tom,

-I know I've asked via email about the benefits of the 7200 redline with no answer.
If you keep your foot floored and it shifts at a higher RPM, your horsepower continues to climb (based on dyno charts) and when it does shift you'll be at a higher RPM in the next gear as well so you'll continue to pull faster then too... I think simply raising the redline alone, no other mods, makes for 0-60 about a second faster, maybe others can chime in here too... but I am curious about the questions, I do know he can make shifts firmer or softer in general.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Tom,
It might be beneficial to maybe go through what options you can and can't change in here. Maybe like a bullet point style.
-Are you able to change the shiftpoints by MPH? If so would there be any benefit there?
-Can you disable traction control at start up?
-I know of at least a couple people who experience the car seemingly holding first gear for to long when coming to a stop and kind of lugging (I noted this in my data log submission, it was address or talked about)
-What other items are you able to change that would benefit?
-You drive an MK3 right? What have you done to yours?
-What frequently asked items have you had that people might like to know?

I'm not being negative and so far love what you've done to my car! You customer service has been great and I'm a high demanding person (comes with my line of work) and you have so far met or exceeded most of my expectations so thank you for all that you've done. I appreciate all of your hard work.
+1, i spoke to Tom last night and he said he would be unvailable today for personal reasons so if we dont hear back from him today, that's why. Good questions though. I would like to know this information as well. thanks for posting this. I agree, i've been very pleased with most parts of the tune and with Tom's customer service but would like some of these things addressed too.

1321 - 1340 of 2420 Posts