Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 2423 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I'm new to this kind of thing, does a tune like this effect reliability at all? I'd love a more responsive car, but given the problems I've already had with it I'm a little worried.
Thats why you do custom tuning and datalogging to check and make sure the tune you have is safe and doing all it can do

Also, what exactly does the dct tune do?
The DCT part is a little firmer on the shifts , slight diff in shift pattern , the DCT I am still working on and learning on my DCT

I second adding selectshift for those of us who only have "hill mode". On that note would it be possible to reprogram "L" on the shifter to be "S" mode instead?
There is no way to use L for S shifts

Tom

·
Registered
111 Posts
so far whats the max hp am tq people are getting with the 5spd?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tom, wasn't able to find the answer in this thread, unless I skipped over it by accident. Would your custom tune be different if we were to run 87 or 93? Would you create separate tunes for each octane?

·
FF Affiliate
30,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Yes there would be a

87 tune

91/93 tune would be the same tune there is no need for a 91 tune and a 93 tune in my opinion

These would be custom for your mods and the MPG tune is built into all my tuning trying to get you the best MPG even modded

Tom

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tom, will you be able to get me a 95 and 98(E20) tune??? because thats's what we're using for our focuses over here. I usually fill mine with E20, which has about 98-99 octane.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Tom, will you be able to get me a 95 and 98(E20) tune??? because thats's what we're using for our focuses over here. I usually fill mine with E20, which has about 98-99 octane.
95 RON = ~89-90 AKI(US octane rating), 98 RON = 93-94 AKI (US octane rating).

·
Registered
54 Posts
in canada we got 94 octane, chevron with techron
We don't have Chevron in Alberta. I believe the Chevron 94 in B.C. is ethanol free isn't it?

We have Mohawk, Husky, Petro Canada 94 but the mileage isn't great from the ethanol.

However all other premium is ethanol free 91 which has good power and mileage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We don't have Chevron in Alberta. I believe the Chevron 94 in B.C. is ethanol free isn't it?

We have Mohawk, Husky, Petro Canada 94 but the mileage isn't great from the ethanol.

However all other premium is ethanol free 91 which has good power and mileage.
most 91 here are ethanol free. 94 is ethanol free aswell.

·
Thread Killer
2,712 Posts
Got my SCT Tuner yesterday and to the skeptics out there...BUY IT!

First impressions:

Purchased a week ago and took a week to ship. The ONLY thing that chapped me was that there was no tracking. I am just a person who needs tracking info lol. As soon as it came in, I emailed Tom saying it came in. He emails you back right away with what he needs. Follow his directions to a T and you will have your base tune emailed in about a 12-24hr window. Tom was VERY helpful with any questions that I had as this was my first time tuning. The process to download everything needed for data logging and uploading the tunes to the device can be a little difficult if you don't know what you are looking at on the SCT site. Tom will send you a link on what to download from SCT so you have what he needs to be able to data log properly and what you need to upload your tune to the Xcal device. You need to download the SCT device updater and Live link Gen-II to your laptop. Once I had everything set and ready to go, I just plugged the Xcal in to my car and followed the on screen directions. Takes a couple minutes to upload.

And the difference between stock and just the base tune...ZOMGBBQFTW!!! The base tune alone is worth the money spent! This is what I got in the first 50+ miles of testing:

-Smoother idle. I have a RMM and the vibrations were pretty much non existent.
-Quicker revs.
-Less lag between shifts
-Drivability all in all is just AWESOME!

Tom is going to do some data logging with me today and I will post up with more info later.

I went with Tom mainly because of his reputation alone. I was going to go with Injected, but as soon as I found out that Tom was tuning our MK3s, I squashed that thought real quick. Aside from the free NA tunes for life, he has been a big name on this site for YEARS and for as long as I have been with this community, I have not heard a single bad review about Toms tunes!

(To the moderators: please, if you feel this little review to be helpful elsewhere, by all means move it. It is probably going to be buried under the countless posts in here...lol)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Got my SCT Tuner yesterday and to the skeptics out there...BUY IT!

First impressions:

Purchased a week ago and took a week to ship. The ONLY thing that chapped me was that there was no tracking. I am just a person who needs tracking info lol. As soon as it came in, I emailed Tom saying it came in. He emails you back right away with what he needs. Follow his directions to a T and you will have your base tune emailed in about a 12-24hr window. Tom was VERY helpful with any questions that I had as this was my first time tuning. The process to download everything needed for data logging and uploading the tunes to the device can be difficult. Once I had everything set and ready to go, I just plugged the Xcal in to my car and followed the on screen directions. Takes a couple minutes to upload.

And the difference between stock and just the base tune...ZOMGBBQFTW!!! The base tune alone is worth the money spent! This is what I got in the first 50+ miles of testing:

-Smoother idle. I have a RMM and the vibrations were pretty much non existent.
-Quicker revs.
-Less lag between shifts
-Drivability all in all is just AWESOME!

Tom is going to do some data logging with me today and I will post up with more info later.

I went with Tom mainly because of his reputation alone. I was going to go with Injected, but as soon as I found out that Tom was tuning our MK3s, I squashed that thought real quick. Aside from the free NA tunes for life, he has been a big name on this site for YEARS and for as long as I have been with this community, I have not heard a single bad review about Toms tunes!

(To the moderators: please, if you feel this little review to be helpful elsewhere, by all means move it. It is probably going to be buried under the countless posts in here...lol)

Hi could yhou please explain how exactly it was difficult to go through "The process to download everything needed for data logging and uploading the tunes to the device can be difficult."

How was it difficult, and what was the resolution etc.? ?? Be very helpful for those undecided like myself

solid review thus far though

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Great to hear!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Hi could yhou please explain how exactly it was difficult to go through "The process to download everything needed for data logging and uploading the tunes to the device can be difficult."

How was it difficult, and what was the resolution etc.? ?? Be very helpful for those undecided like myself

To be honest, with a tuner it's as simple as plugging in the tuner. Opening the program and loading the tune to the tuner. Now all you do is plug it in to the car and select it. Tom will handle the data logging. He will remote into your PC/Mac and set up what he needs to get you your custom tune.

·
Thread Killer
2,712 Posts

I'm sorry, I should have been more elaborate. Tom will send you a link on what to download from SCT so you have what he needs to be able to data log properly and what you need to upload your tune to the Xcal device. You need to download the SCT device updater and Live link Gen-II to your laptop. I am not as l33t as I used to be on a computer since I got a smartphone and needed a little help...lol

Tom makes everything very simple for you and you will be very happy.

I mean look. Custom tuning, free NA tunes for life, free tech support and all for a cheaper price than a "canned" tune.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
i think that review just made me want to pull the trigger honestly

81 - 100 of 2423 Posts