Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 2420 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Cool, that's good to know. As someone asked earlier, is one of tunes loaded on the tuner the stock tune, for when the vehicle is being taken in for service?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am interested in this, but I am concerned over the factory warranty implications. Does this tune void the warranty? Can the factory tune be reflashed in the event some warranty work needs to be performed and if so can they tell that a tune has been performed?

Thanks
Not to be a pest but 2 pages no response to this. Anyone have any insight to warranty concerns?

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Not to be a pest but 2 pages no response to this. Anyone have any insight to warranty concerns?
Usually it saves the stock tune so that you can reflash. And once you reflash back to stock, they have no way to tell it was ever flashed.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
And even if you take it for an oil change or something like that, they wouldnt tell, unless they do something with the ecu, there really is no way they can tell something has been flashed or not

·
Focus Addict
14,131 Posts
Usually it saves the stock tune so that you can reflash. And once you reflash back to stock, they have no way to tell it was ever flashed.
That's not exactly true, Ford most certainly can determine if the car was ever re-flashed outside of their records, although your average dealership likely won't bother unless instructed to by Ford for warranty service to the Engine or Transmission.

Ford has issued several bulletins to dealers relating to modifications made to the 3.5 L V6 EcoBoost and the 5.0 L Ti-VCT V8 engines in the past few years in relation to damage caused to improper aftermarket calibrations, or other tampering to the engine that instruct the dealers upon how to determine this if the car came in for engine or transmission problems.

Now that being said it's less likely that the dealer would poke into the computer just for an oil change.

·
Registered
348 Posts
havoc I was also curious about that. See now, papaacer, I can't remember where, but I've read somewhere that they could tell if the ECU (is PCM an equivalent term?) was altered in any way. I'll have to do some searching. Although I'm tempted to make the purchase. I feel comfortable with Tom's tune that there is extremely low risk involved, and the warranty issue should never come up. Except that if something were to have occurred regardless of tune in the first place.

Edit: Looks like suss6052 has some of that info I was looking for.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
That's not exactly true, Ford most certainly can determine if the car was ever re-flashed outside of their records, although your average dealership likely won't bother unless instructed to by Ford for warranty service to the Engine or Transmission.

Ford has issued several bulletins to dealers relating to modifications made to the 3.5 L V6 EcoBoost and the 5.0 L Ti-VCT V8 engines in the past few years in relation to damage caused to improper aftermarket calibrations, or other tampering to the engine that instruct the dealers upon how to determine this if the car came in for engine or transmission problems.

Now that being said it's less likely that the dealer would poke into the computer just for an oil change.
Thanks for clarifying ben [thumb]

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Cool, that's good to know. As someone asked earlier, is one of tunes loaded on the tuner the stock tune, for when the vehicle is being taken in for service?
Once you load a tune to your Foci the stock tune/file is kept in the xcal to be load back any time needed , you can also download a copy and keep in on your PC

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I did some digging and it seems that the way Ford looks for tuning modifications is by checking the computer and looking for physical signs of damage. Unusual wear on the pistons, etc etc. Although I have yet to find a tsb specifically for this generation focus that explains this. Just going off of other recent tsb's that I found. I figure if the problem isn't due to the mod, they would never notice. If it is, then you're sol. If I got this tune, I'd want a way to flash the original tune back if necessary and a custom tune focused on safety.

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I missed it before , Warranty is a tuff one , if you ask Ford ANY tune can void your warranty according to the Ford Engineers I have talked to Ford has no way at the dealerships to tell if a tune is loaded , has been loaded or how many times a tune has been loaded

Where many get caught is they leave the the xcal in the car and Ford finds it

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

I dont agree at all , I live around some very big Ford dealerships and the Service managers are very close Friends as well as I am in contact with Ford Engineers very often and they all tell me that no dealership has the capabilities to read or look at a ECU to tell if a tune has ever been loaded or how many times , I doubt that a dealership is going to send a ECU to Ford somewhere and have it somehow tested over a warranty

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
So I did some digging and it seems that the way Ford looks for tuning modifications is by checking the computer and looking for physical signs of damage. Unusual wear on the pistons, etc etc. Although I have yet to find a tsb specifically for this generation focus that explains this. Just going off of other recent tsb's that I found. I figure if the problem isn't due to the mod, they would never notice. If it is, then you're sol. If I got this tune, I'd want a way to flash the original tune back if necessary and a custom tune focused on safety.
There isnt a way a dealership has for testing a ECU for loaded tunes if the stock tune is back in the ECU , you have the ability to load the stock tune any time you choose ,

Custom tuning is all about safety before performance , Custom tuning is the best of both of these because your datalogging to make sure your safe and to make sure you making all the performance you can safely get

Canned tune you have no way of checking safety or if your getting all the tune you paid for

Tom

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Now for those of us who have had some tuning experience before (Cobb), I remember reading somewhere that you have to get the online training before you can buy/use the SCT tuning software? I know it will set me back out $600 for the XCal and the software, just may not need the extra training (although I'm sure it is good!).

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Now for those of us who have had some tuning experience before (Cobb), I remember reading somewhere that you have to get the online training before you can buy/use the SCT tuning software? I know it will set me back out $600 for the XCal and the software, just may not need the extra training (although I'm sure it is good!).
I am guessing you are talking about the SCT ProRacer Package ?

If so that has nothing to do with what I sell , the ProRacers Package is for the end user to do his own tuning , datalogging and yes you better know what your doing

Tom

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tom, I came across this post in the link you mentioned the other day...

Well I don't have any experiance with FSW, sorry, but I have Toms Diablosport tune in my fairly stock SVT. It is the best thing I have ever done for the car. Hanging revs gone, stumbling & surging gone, no more lug at take off in 1st. The tune just really smoothed out the engine through the whole powerband, my engine just purrs along now I love it. Oh and push the TC button and traction control is gone. The tune overall really was night and day for me.
The hanging rev issue... is this what I describe below?

When I'm accelerating and then take my foot off the gas and step on the clutch, the RPMs slightly rise, then slowly drop to where the car thinks the RPMs will be in the next gear and hang, and then slowly drop to idle. I find this makes it extremely hard to get smooth shifts. It's at its worst in lower gears (i.e. 1st to 2nd). I also feel that the amount I need step on the gas when about to engage the next gear to get the RPMs to move is different in each gear.

Does the tune fix this?

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I want to say yes but with out trying it I couldnt say for sure , it could be many things causing that issue , I have not delt with that issue before on the 2012 but feel it can be cured

Tom

·
Registered
348 Posts
Really curious. If a tune fixed this, I'd be sold in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm new to this kind of thing, does a tune like this effect reliability at all? I'd love a more responsive car, but given the problems I've already had with it I'm a little worried. Also, what exactly does the dct tune do?

I second adding selectshift for those of us who only have "hill mode". On that note would it be possible to reprogram "L" on the shifter to be "S" mode instead?

Sent from my Lazer Shark Robot using Tapatalk 20,000

61 - 80 of 2420 Posts