·
Registered
9,258 Posts
I haz won the interwebz!!! [twothumbs]

·
FF Affiliate
30,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
So a dealership that knows you do tuning said theres no way to tell? It would obviously be in their best interest to have told you if they could. Clearly, the guy selling the tune would have no reason to not disclose that it could be found out if the vehicle was tuned previously.

/sarcasm

There is a wealth of information about this on the internet.

It is hard for me to believe that people have computers at home and don't know that information is tracked. If you have the right training, you can go into the computer and pull a huge amount of information from it-most of which the end-user wouldn't know is on there. Just because you emptied the history doesn't make it gone.

Simply put: the part that receives the tune is a computer.

Ultimately, this is what it boils down to: dealerships don't randomly scour your ECU/PCM to see if your car was tuned because you came in for an oil change or if you need your power seats fixed. Even if you windowed your block, the technician's are most likely not going to scour deep enough to find out if it was tuned. It's not like they plug into the OBDII and a huge warning comes across warning that the vehicle was tuned.

For everyone else: Either you're drinking the kool-aide and think you're perfectly safe, or you're sober and understand that there is a slim possibility of getting caught. Either way, if you are that concerned then you shouldn't even be considering modifications. When I wanted a tune I took into consideration what the tuners on here were saying, but I kept a reality check on the information because I understood that they are in the business of selling tuners-not of helping me get warranty work done.
So you have nothing to go by but your opinion ? No facts to base this on ?

I have been tuning ECU for 17 years and not one time have I had anyone say they voided my warranty because of a tune , not one out of over 3000 ECU tunes

One of the Ford dealerships I grew up with the Family knowing them all dynoing there cars for years , going to races with them and so on when I ask a question I dont go to a service guy I go to the owner and he gets me answers when we couldnt get anything but opinions and the main service guy saying there is nothing Ford offers that allows us into the ECU the owner called Ford and on speaker talked to a Ford engineer , they dont have the ability at the dealership to see if a ECU has been altered if the ECU is back to stock and no CEL history is showing like a p0605 code

The other we know the owner well and built his race engines for years and know him well , his service guy sais the same thing

The Ford ECU isnt like a laptop and no Ford dealership can go into a ECU and dig around and look for what you call a history

Whats all the attitude about ?

If you dont want my tune and your not going to buy it why are you even posting in here stirring all this up , people know the risk when modding there cars

Tom

·
Registered
985 Posts
Dyn085 u need to chill out dude. It seems like u have something against tom.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Ford will use any excuse to deny coverage. If you blow an engine they will go into the computer and look at how long you drove at high rpms, the frequency the traction control activates, average speed, and a bunch of other stuff. They will even try and say that an oil change done somewhere other than ford is to blame, even if all services were done at ford.

This is all my firsthand experience from the 2 bad engines my mk3 focus had.

If your worried about the warranty don't take the risk.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
I haz won the interwebz!!! [twothumbs]
Very much so.

Dyn085 u need to chill out dude. It seems like u have something against tom.
Try and remove your bias before reading because you are clearly not paying attention. Never once did I say to not get Toms tune. Never once did I say not to tune your car. Never once did I say or give attitude-you all are inferring it because you're reading words on the internet. If I was trying to bash Tom then I would be advocating the 'competitors', but I'm not. I'm saying that if you think you're 100% safe from the dealership you aren't and that you'll find a wealth of information on that by doing independent research outside of just this forum.

I don't care if you give your money to Tom today and beg for months about when you might get your tune. It's your money, your decision, and your lost interest. Literally all I'm saying is to stop being sheeple and do some additional Google searching. If you want to believe exactly what your salesman tells you then go ahead-it seriously does not affect my wallet because I already made my decision. I'm not going to keep playing this game of saying the same thing over and over again because people refuse to think for themselves and think that I have some random vendetta.

Fact: Up until recently I have supported and recommended Tom in multiple venues-not as 'the best' but as 'perfectly capable'. I cannot attest for or against his product because I haven't used it.

Ford will use any excuse to deny coverage. If you blow an engine they will go into the computer and look at how long you drove at high rpms, the frequency the traction control activates, average speed, and a bunch of other stuff. They will even try and say that an oil change done somewhere other than ford is to blame, even if all services were done at ford.

All of this is true, and this is someone whom has actually been through the process of receiving a new motor.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I have a friend who took his mustang back to the dealership and they saw his tuner DECAL and found the car was tuned and refused any further drivetrain work under warranty. The fact is the dealership doesn't get anyone's money with a warranty issue, so they do whatever they can to make that money, in this case, search for something to void this. Maybe at the coolest ford dealer ever do they allow tuning and racecar parts, but not in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Duane has not spoken against tom, i back him up in that. When i went to duane for who to go with, he let me know that tom is in fact a good tuner. As far as the whole warranty debate goes, it ALWAYS ends the same.....tune at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The key question(s) is (are):

1. Will tuning a vehicle void the warranty?
... You are doing things to it that change the tolerances and methodology of how the engine operates (now, don't anyone jump down my throat saying 'it still operates the same way!' You are, in fact, changing the parameters from factory settings) to a way which is different from how the OEM intended. Unequivocally, any such OEM would be within their rights to deny a warranty claim because of that.

2. What most people here are really asking is, Can I get away with it?

Those questions are fundamentally not the same.

·
Registered
348 Posts

You've had two bad engines in your MK3 already? What happened?

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
You've had two bad engines in your MK3 already? What happened?
Broken piston in the first one then the second one burned a quart of oil in ~2000 miles. Traded it for a 2014 Mazda3, best decision ever.

Ford refused to do anything about the second engine. There are a couple threads with detailed write ups. I had no engine modifications at all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
And Tom did stress multiple times to return the car to stock and put no decals and do not leave anything sct in the car. He isn't saying that it will not void the warranty he is saying it is hard for them to even know you did it so the risk is low.

Not sure what the fuss is. I feel more people put exhaust systems on and you dont see everyone arguing with fswerks about if it is warranty safe. Everything is a risk. Hell they can deny a stock car for warranty work anyway.

Lets drop it the arguing and defending of points. Everyone has made their point people can decide how they choose fit.

·
FF Affiliate
30,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
I don't care if you give your money to Tom today and beg for months about when you might get your tune.
99 % of my customers gets there tune with in 24-48 Hrs you make it sound like people have to wait for ever to get there tune and that some never get them ???????

That was just uncalled for

Tom

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
99 % of my customers gets there tune with in 24-48 Hrs you make it sound like people have to wait for ever to get there tune

Your a red moderator and you shouldnt be running on about things like this about a sponsor when you dont know what your talking about

Tom
Some people have had to wait. Trying to hide that seems shady.

·
Registered
985 Posts
99 % of my customers gets there tune with in 24-48 Hrs you make it sound like people have to wait for ever to get there tune and that some never get them ???????

That was just uncalled for

Tom
And that is exactly what I was talking about, but he wont admit to it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Very much so.

Try and remove your bias before reading because you are clearly not paying attention. Never once did I say to not get Toms tune. Never once did I say not to tune your car. Never once did I say or give attitude-you all are inferring it because you're reading words on the internet. If I was trying to bash Tom then I would be advocating the 'competitors', but I'm not. I'm saying that if you think you're 100% safe from the dealership you aren't and that you'll find a wealth of information on that by doing independent research outside of just this forum.

I don't care if you give your money to Tom today and beg for months about when you might get your tune. It's your money, your decision, and your lost interest. Literally all I'm saying is to stop being sheeple and do some additional Google searching. If you want to believe exactly what your salesman tells you then go ahead-it seriously does not affect my wallet because I already made my decision. I'm not going to keep playing this game of saying the same thing over and over again because people refuse to think for themselves and think that I have some random vendetta.

Fact: Up until recently I have supported and recommended Tom in multiple venues-not as 'the best' but as 'perfectly capable'. I cannot attest for or against his product because I haven't used it.

All of this is true, and this is someone whom has actually been through the process of receiving a new motor.
You never said not to get his tune but you sure like to imply stuff to make people think twice. What made you change your mind to stop supporting Tom's tune?

By the way, I am not a sheep I know if Ford dealers really wanted to know if the car was tuned, they could. I also understand what Tom is saying and I believe he is also correct.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Tom, they are talking about me, i have been waiting for months. But i dont think it is your fault though. SCT should have had the file when they released it. Just clearing things up here

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Im not trying to hide anything , Please tell me what you know ?

Tom
Your exact statement. Saying that because he is a red mod he shouldn't let people know what he knows. Makes it sound like you want to have bought loyalty.

But it's the Internet and since there is no inflection there can be many interpretations.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Tom, they are talking about me, i have been waiting for months. But i dont think it is your fault though. SCT should have had the file when they released it. Just clearing things up here
It's not just you, but yes-you are one of them. Most of the 'competitors' ask for the strategy codes prior to trying to sell the product in order to avoid this type of situation.

Many Mk3 members don't want to speak up about issues. While I don't necessarily blame them, there is a difference between being honest about service/product and just random factless bashing.

It's the exact reason I created the V-Maxx thread: it outlines the faults with a product in order to allow others to make an educated decision before purchase. Unlike anyone following that thread, I didn't have that information and was disappointed in what I received because absolutely no one was willing to voice it to the community. The forum is here for members to help members.

Despite having clear evidence of the issues, people that blindly supported V-Maxx tried to come up with excuses and acted like I was just making stuff up-just like in here. I never say to not purchase a product unless it's a safety issue. I advise my opinion and give my technical/mechanical insight and allow adults to make their own bed.

I have no care to change fanboys. People can be upset with me for being honest and that's fine. Like I said-it's your decision and money, not mine.

Back on topic-SCT tune.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Yeah you have a point duane. One of the interesting points made to me in regards to this tune is the fact that SCT released the tuning, and some of the strategies had not been tuned. I am going on three months with no tune. I hastle SCT and Tom as well. I dropped a crap ton of money (im a college kid with minimal budget as of late) i kinda expected it a little quicker than this.

Edited for correct term

481 - 500 of 2420 Posts