Focus Fanatics Forum banner

461 - 480 of 2422 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I only quoted this part because I'm pretty confident that I said almost the exact same thing to you when you tried discounting my dyno runs in the snorkel delete thread.

I will say this yet again-I'm not the one that first said your graphs were misleading.

I have never once said your tune did not show an increase in performance.

Why does nobody understand this?
Just step away from the keyboard.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I only read the first ten pages, I only have a couple questions.

1. How do you keep up with everyones tunes? I'm gonna check out your site after posting this, but I was wondering how you keep up with all the tunes with so many customers? I think I might have saw you say something about appointments which would make sense and I probably just answered myself. I was just curious.

2. I must have missed it on the first pages or maybe its also on your site but does this 100% void my warranty or can I tune back to stock and can they tell?

Thanks, if it doesn't void the warranty forever then I'll definitely save some money up for this.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

1. How do you keep up with everyones tunes? I'm gonna check out your site after posting this, but I was wondering how you keep up with all the tunes with so many customers? I think I might have saw you say something about appointments which would make sense and I probably just answered myself. I was just curious.

2. I must have missed it on the first pages or maybe its also on your site but does this 100% void my warranty or can I tune back to stock and can they tell?

Thanks, if it doesn't void the warranty forever then I'll definitely save some money up for this.
If you need to ask, so to speak...

·
FF Affiliate
30,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #466

I name the tunes first by the ECU code then by the customers name so keeping up with the tunes is easy

If a customer wants something changed they email me what changes they made to the car or what they want changed along with there name of the last tune file sent to them and the xcal ID # off the back of the xcal flasher

All this is in the previous email I sent him so just keep that email going then I send them back and updates email with the new tune

Warranty : Yes if Ford knew for a fact that you had a tune change to your car they could void the warranty , if you go back to the stock tune when you take your Focus to Ford they have no way to tell if you had a tune in there , going back to stock is very easy to do

There is a tuning company that is changing the factory DCT strategy permanently this would be a hugh red flag to the Ford dealership and a sure way to get your warranty voided , Those that have this tune dont even know that there tuner permanently changed there DCT strategy

Tom

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Of course a dealership can tell if a car has been tuned if they know where to look, regardless of whether you tuned back to stock or not. The question is whether they will look or not.

·
FF Affiliate
30,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
Of course a dealership can tell if a car has been tuned if they know where to look, regardless of whether you tuned back to stock or not. The question is whether they will look or not.
The dealer does not have the equipment to look at a ECU and tell if it has had a tuned flash to it at some point as everything is back to stock and everything matches what Ford loaded originally there would be no reason for the dealer to assume a tune has ever been loaded

What the dealer can see is that a strategy has been changed when they go to do an ECU update it will come back that the update strategy for that car no longer matches the strategy that the Focus came with from Ford then they will 100% know that the ECU has been tampered with and your warranty will be voided

Tom

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
The dealer does not have the equipment to look at a ECU and tell if it has had a tuned flash to it at some point as everything is back to stock and everything matches what Ford loaded originally there would be no reason for the dealer to assume a tune has ever been loaded

Tom
There will be some that believe because you said this, so there's reapply no point in me refuting it. I can't force people to do their own research and learn things. If they want to take your word for it then let them.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
My take on the whole warranty thing is this "if you are really that worried about a tune voiding warranty, dont tune it"

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've had a ford guy messing around with my ecu, and he immediately knew my car was tuned, but we know each other and he likes my car, so he didnt put it on the record. But he advised me if he wasnt there or i need to claim something i should return t back to stock.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So they can't see the tune if you go back to stock buy if they see the strategy altered you're still out of warranty. So at the end you're still out a warranty?

·
FF Affiliate
30,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
There will be some that believe because you said this, so there's reapply no point in me refuting it. I can't force people to do their own research and learn things. If they want to take your word for it then let them.
Please let us know what you know , I am only going by 2 local dealerships and a Ford Engineer
1 of the local dealers know I do custom tuning and I took a 2013 to them that had been tuned 7 times and they could not tell it had ever been tuned , the dealer stated they could plug into the ECU and confirm the strategys and if the new update would load thats all they could tell , He stated he could look at previous codes and if a CEL showed up at any time like the p0605 they would question the customer but that wouldnt be enough proof to void the warranty

Strategy changed would be a voided warranty both power train and ECU

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
So they can't see the tune if you go back to stock buy if they see the strategy altered you're still out of warranty. So at the end you're still out a warranty?
Correct , I was told as long as you go back to stock Ford tune they cannot see anything
If the strategy is altered from stock when you return your ECU to stock they can see this , I dont change the strategys permanently there are tuners that do so be carefull

Tom

·
Registered
348 Posts
I actually wasn't looking to get a tune because I was afraid of the whole warranty issue, but I ended up getting one with Tom because he makes sure the car is going to be safe, whereas some canned tunes you might not be guaranteed that. Knowing he'd keep an eye on that, I really wasn't worried about the warranty issue anymore.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Jose is 100% correct-if you are concerned about warranty issues then don't be concerned with modifying the car.

Please let us know what you know , I am only going by 2 local dealerships and a Ford Engineer
1 of the local dealers know I do custom tuning and I took a 2013 to them that had been tuned 7 times and they could not tell it had ever been tuned , the dealer stated they could plug into the ECU and confirm the strategys and if the new update would load thats all they could tell , He stated he could look at previous codes and if a CEL showed up at any time like the p0605 they would question the customer but that wouldnt be enough proof to void the warranty

Strategy changed would be a voided warranty both power train and ECU

Tom

So a dealership that knows you do tuning said theres no way to tell? It would obviously be in their best interest to have told you if they could. Clearly, the guy selling the tune would have no reason to not disclose that it could be found out if the vehicle was tuned previously.

/sarcasm

There is a wealth of information about this on the internet.

It is hard for me to believe that people have computers at home and don't know that information is tracked. If you have the right training, you can go into the computer and pull a huge amount of information from it-most of which the end-user wouldn't know is on there. Just because you emptied the history doesn't make it gone.

Simply put: the part that receives the tune is a computer.

Ultimately, this is what it boils down to: dealerships don't randomly scour your ECU/PCM to see if your car was tuned because you came in for an oil change or if you need your power seats fixed. Even if you windowed your block, the technician's are most likely not going to scour deep enough to find out if it was tuned. It's not like they plug into the OBDII and a huge warning comes across warning that the vehicle was tuned.

For everyone else: Either you're drinking the kool-aide and think you're perfectly safe, or you're sober and understand that there is a slim possibility of getting caught. Either way, if you are that concerned then you shouldn't even be considering modifications. When I wanted a tune I took into consideration what the tuners on here were saying, but I kept a reality check on the information because I understood that they are in the business of selling tuners-not of helping me get warranty work done.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I haz no warranties left. But I agree, worried about warranties, don't void them. Simple as that.

461 - 480 of 2422 Posts