401 - 420 of 2420 Posts

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
I would of figured more also

·
Registered
232 Posts
Like I said, its all relative to the dyno. I do plan to do an exhaust soon. I can feel the improvement for sure though. It'd be interesting to line it up against a focus that dyno'd more stock to see if mine is just a turd from the factory or if the dyno just puts out those numbers.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
The car normally shifts at 6500 under WOT. I have a video somewhere.

And I agree that most cars dyno at around 140-145 stock, but some engines just aren't that strong. Unfortunately it seems like you drew the short straw.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
True and most have cut out at 6200rpm in 4th due to speed limiter

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, probably a the short straw on mine but regardless I posted it mainly to show the improvement of the tune. Tom did pretty good on this for a car with only a CAI.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Whoa, hold the phone-that's WITH an intake as well?

You need to take your car back to stock and have your dealership fix whatever is wrong with it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Whoa, hold the phone-that's WITH an intake as well?

You need to take your car back to stock and have your dealership fix whatever is wrong with it.
Lol, yeah... not much I can do about that... I mean with the TC off it can spin the tires through first gear when it was stock...

I'll have to ask Tom what other stock mk3 foci dyno'd on his machine. His machine may read low.

I'd be interested in doing a drag against another mk3 and see how it goes.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
We'll have to meet up sometime when I'm back in NC at a C&C or something. Maybe we can find a *totally legal* place to test acceleration between our cars[;)]

·
Registered
232 Posts
^true... I looked in the dyno thread and saw another 135 stock and another 150ish with intake and exhaust... I think I would see a good bump without the restrictive stock exhaust.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mainly because your doing the runs on the street , second if there is something wrong the chances of damaging your engine is less because it goes through the RPM quicker

Who ever said you need to dyno on only 1:1 gear is mistaken

Tom
The VP of FSWerks was one of many who have said to dyno at 1:1, in a post called "How to dyno your Focus ST properly". Of course we don't have ST's, but still.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Just got back from some dyno time with Tom. Pretty good numbers for a almost completely stock (only k&n intake)... Now the proof...

More responsive, better shifting, more power as well. Very pleased, I'm excited to get an exhaust next...

That dyno is a little misleading. If the trans was in Sport, and manually shifted, the stock tune probably would have made 140-145hp, and the tuned line, revved to 7k+ probably would have made 160-165. I'm impressed. When I get the chance, I'll definitely be getting this tune.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Good tune. Im sorry to hear that you may have drawn the short straw on the engine's. But impressive gain still. I shall be dynoing my car pretty soon with a secret weapon installed ;) tom love the tune and your work on them bro :D

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
That dyno is a little misleading. If the trans was in Sport, and manually shifted, the stock tune probably would have made 140-145hp, and the tuned line, revved to 7k+ probably would have made 160-165. I'm impressed. When I get the chance, I'll definitely be getting this tune.
Dyno charts are rarely misleading. They can be done improperly or lied about, but a line is a line. It is only showing what it reads based on the inputs. Either you can read it or you can't.

The transmission has absolutely nothing to do with the power the engine is delivering, at least not in the terms you're explaining. Engaging Sport mode won't cause it to have more power, and you don't shift when doing a dyno run. Considering the fact that this is a discussion about a dyno run then I can assure you that he was in S+ if his car has it equipped.

And we can speculate power to whatever random rpm range we want (not logically, but just for fun) but that has nothing to do with the tune. His car made X power at Y rpm-period. You are literally already looking at what he got with the tune; you can't just add more tune.

Nobody is saying anything bad about the tune anyways so there no real reason to come and try to defend it. What we're talking about are how low the numbers are comparatively to other modded Mk3's, both before and after. If people were bashing the tune they would only be discussing the after.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Dyno charts are rarely misleading. They can be done improperly or lied about, but a line is a line. It is only showing what it reads based on the inputs. Either you can read it or you can't.

The transmission has absolutely nothing to do with the power the engine is delivering, at least not in the terms you're explaining. Engaging Sport mode won't cause it to have more power, and you don't shift when doing a dyno run. Considering the fact that this is a discussion about a dyno run then I can assure you that he was in S+ if his car has it equipped.

And we can speculate power to whatever random rpm range we want (not logically, but just for fun) but that has nothing to do with the tune. His car made X power at Y rpm-period. You are literally already looking at what he got with the tune; you can't just add more tune.

Nobody is saying anything bad about the tune anyways so there no real reason to come and try to defend it. What we're talking about are how low the numbers are comparatively to other modded Mk3's, both before and after. If people were bashing the tune they would only be discussing the after.
Let me explain to you now why you are being argumentative and closed minded instead of reading what I wrote and understanding.

THE PEAK HORSEPOWER NUMBERS on that dyno chart are misleading.

The car was short shifted. PERIOD.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Let me explain to you now why you are being argumentative and closed minded instead of reading what I wrote and understanding.

THE PEAK HORSEPOWER NUMBERS on that dyno chart are misleading.

The car was short shifted. PERIOD.
No, it wasn't-you don't shift on a dyno. You are wrong.

I'm not being argumentative, simply explaining how the dyno process works. Charts are not misleading-random interpretations and speculations of them are.

·
Registered
324 Posts
According to Ford, this engine makes peak power at 6500. Looking at the dyno, it appears it wasn't revved that high. It could be that it hit the speed limiter before reaching 6500 rpm.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Dear LORD you are aggravating.

I've dyno'd every car I've owned, I've tuned two of them. I've read hundreds if not thousands of dyno charts.

No, you don't shift a car on the dyno, but you also don't stop a pull 500 rpm early. The pull was stopped well before peak HP was reached.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
That would be an indication of either an incorrect calibration or intentionally trying to mislead-which is exactly what I said before...you don't stop early on the base dyno and then pull further on the after.

I am more inclined to believe an incorrect calibration, but wasn't going to bring it up. I made the implication and figured that that was as far as it needed to go. I don't dyno race or dyno speculate.

401 - 420 of 2420 Posts