Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2421 - 2422 of 2422 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, I figure this is the best place for me to post a quick review of my experience with Tom's tune.

I'm a new owner of a 2014 SE 5MT, and I had the car for about a month before I decided to get it tuned by Tom. This was my first time getting a car tuned, so I didn't really know what kind of changes to expect. I wasn't expecting power but I was curious about people's reports of improved driveability, which to me was a kind of vague term before I got a better idea of what they were talking about.

Well, here's another very satisfied customer! So far I have a few hundred miles with the tune on a bone stock car. In comparison to Tom's tune, the stock tune makes the car feel sleepy and timid. After the tune, the car feels more "eager":
  • There's less hesitance when I give it throttle.
  • It pulls a little harder in the mid & high range. It's not a huge difference, but the car feels like it's having an easier time running at higher revs than it did with the stock tune.
  • The low end torque seems improved. Once again, not a drastic increase but it's noticeable. I have an easier time in very low speed and fine clutch control scenarios now. Maybe part of that is from getting to know the car better as I continue to drive it, but the tune definitely helped make me feel more confident that I won't stall when I try to get rolling up the steep offramp on my commute.
  • Mpg also seems to be better, but that's just me judging based on the first tank. The car's computer is reporting similar numbers (29.8-30.1), but this most recent tank was mostly "spirited" miles while the previous tank with the stock tune was mostly chill commuter miles. Based on that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1 or 2 avg mpg increase when I'm cruising in the slow lane on the highway.
Overall, I'm 100% satisfied with my decision to get my car tuned by Tom. The changes are subtle but all together they make driving my Focus a more engaging experience. That's something that I'll enjoy every single time I drive the car. It may not be fast, but now the car's engine has a personality to match its handling.

·
FF Affiliate
30,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,422
Great Review , I am glad you like your Focus better , I cannot think of another way to say " Better over all driveability " but you explained it well

Tom

2421 - 2422 of 2422 Posts