Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my driver side window screeches like hell when going up, not down. The same goes for my passenger side window. I've taken it to Ford 2x now and they have "oiled" it and the second time they "adjusted the window". I swear that it is the gasket on the outside because when it's hot and dry it screeches going up. When it is raining outside or has just rained and the gasket is still damp, then no screech. Ford just doesn't seem to understand the concept here. I even rolled my window all the way down and used some lube on the rubber at the bottom of the window and what do you know...no screech. This worked but only for a day, then back to screeching.

Anyone have the screeching gasket problem? What could I do to fix it besides lubing it everyday?

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
holy balls, I was wondering if anyone else had this issue just yesterday.

I too suffer from this, however my screeching goes on when the window goes down and when its dry out. I also believe it is coming from the small rubber flap on the outside. I havent tried oiling it yet, but its obviously an issue with the rubber getting dry or something of that nature.

Obviously oiling it isnt going to help matters, replacing the rubber strip would be the expensive (yet probably most effective) route. Otherwise I would think of some sort of conditioning agent for rubber: ie wetsuit cleaner/conditioner or some sort of dressing [dunno]

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Same here! I've even gone so far as to put a little bit of the anti-squeal stuff for belts but nothing has fixed it yet.

·
Registered
351 Posts
gotta think OUTSIDE the box on this one. I had this problem as well and fixed it.

wax your windows, WELL.

·
Registered
153 Posts
^^ YUP! That's what I finally tried a few months ago and it worked. Depending on how dirty you let your car get, or how many times you put the window up or down will determine how long the wax lasts.

·
Registered
298 Posts
So just waxing your window works on this?.... My drivers side window actually has a scratch on it now from where it is rubbing.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Rain-x now sells a "winshield wax" which is supposed to keep the wipers from screeching and hopping. I never knew about it until just this weekend.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dathlok, if you have a real scratch on your window from the window seal, then NO the wax isn't going to fix it, and I wouldn't doubt it you had something else scratching it. It's incredibly hard to scratch glass.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Mine has done it but only when the windows are dirty and dry.

The parking lot where I work has these lovely trees that sort of "mist" the cars with a fine coating of sap and that makes them screech like mad.

When they are clean it's not an issue at all.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I used heavy duty silicone spray and it seems to have cleared the problem up. I also gave all my door seals a good wipe down with it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
my fault Dathlok, i re-read my post, and it did come off wrong. i know you didn't expect the wax to fix the scratch. What i meant was, if it's actually scratching your glass, there's a bigger problem that ALSO needs fixed. Something in there is scratching the glass, and if somehow it is the liner, i'd replace it. As for the screeching, yeah, the wax will fix that. . .at least we know the windows are sealed tight right?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, do you have the TSB #?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts