Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i'm looking to upgrade the coil pack and wires in my focus and wanted to know what everyone thought about the Screamin Demon vs the MSD coil packs, any help/info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
im trying to do the same thing, i have found the msd coil and hotwires, but i have never been able to find anything about the sceamin demon. where can i get some specs on that?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Go to performancedistributors.com they make the sreamin demon.
Also sold at myfordperformance.com

I like mine - very easy to install and my engine runs much smoother with a noticable increase in gas mileage.

I have no personal experience with the MSD, but I hear that it is a good company with good products.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and to add to the question, has anybody heard anything about the ACCEL coil packs? Just came across one and the price seems right but I've seen little to no mention.

Also the Screamin Demon seems to allow you to gap your spark plugs a bit wider, could i do the same with any of these other coil packs?

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Screamon Demon coil and livewires allow you to gap your spark plugs to .065- much higher than stock. The wires are also 10mm. I've had nothing but love for my kit- very simple install, smother idle, slight improved performance( nothing to write home about). Now as much as I love mine I'd advise you just get the Ford Racing 9mm wires and call it a day. It's really not worth the money looking back unless your na car is pushing serious hp. and since i'm going FI as soon as i can find some time to finish fabricating my kit, the coil and wires will be usless. Hence i'll be going back to stock coil with the FR wires and colder plugs. Just do a search for the SD coil and wires- everyone has a say

·
Registered
384 Posts
From my expierence with different cars, A upgraded coil pack on a stock car is a waste of time. You will get a smoother idle, you can gap your plugs slightly larger and you "might" see 1-2mpg increase. But you will see no extra power unless your running seriour high compression or FI and are blowing out the spark. I would just go with ford 9mm wires and good plugs.

If your coil was to ever go bad or out of spec then go ahead and buy a new one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main reason why i ask is because my idle's pretty rough and most of the reviewers have noted that their aftermarket coils have smoothed them out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
^^^get new wires and plugs first and if that doesnt help THEN spend the money on the coil pack...just my .02

·
Registered
189 Posts
Honestly the only reason I bought the MSD is b/c it was cheaper than the scremin demon. I love the MSD it has a great idle to it. The only problem with getting the wires first is that some coils only accept the wires that were meant for it. Thats why you have to buy the MSD as a kit.

·
Registered
958 Posts
yeah but i mean u can always sell the new-ish wires in the buy/sell section and then pick up the new coil...IMHO, i think that the coil is a complete waste of money! if i knew before i got it then i would not have spent my money on it...i read about it in focus fanatic mag and i ended up getting msd/taylor cause the local speedshop recommended them

like i said...id just go w new plugs and wires...forget the coil pack...unless like stated above...ur pack is already shot and u have to replace anyways...otherwise save ur money!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
k, looks like i'll just try new wires and plugs and upgrade the coil if those still don't help
thanks for the help!

·
Registered
294 Posts
While you're replacing the plugs and wires be sure to check the electrical harness connector to the coil. The wiring on these has a tendency to get brittle and crack. This causes many of the misfiring issues that people have.

Besides that, save your money. A new aftermarket coil pack, regarardless of manufacturer will not get you any increase in performance. The stock Ford coil is a quality part.

·
Registered
205 Posts
speaking of wires and plugs, what would anyone recommend for a plug? is there such a thing as a BOSCH platinum for the Zetec? How about wires? Ohm ratings for such wires?

·
Registered
958 Posts
get the frpp wires...i have ngk double plats, but i've heard autolites are quite good

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, I know I have a SVT but I just bought the MSD Coil and Wires and have to say they are great...but, I bought them because my coil pack was shot and needed a new one. All it does is smooth out the idle a little more.

Dj_Otaku

·
Registered
334 Posts
im gonna install my sd kit next week after i buy plugs.i got it at the steeda focus day today in a raffle so i didnt waste a doar on them.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Well im thinking about getting new spark plugs too, and possibly new wires. I just went to the fordracing parts site, and looked at their wires....it seems they got cheaper werent they like 30 something, now suggested retail is 19, i was like oh man. I just wish you can order stuff directly from their site i dont understand why you cant, kinda dumb if you ask me. I dont really wanna have to go all the way to a distributor have them order the part and wait and go all the way back to pick it up.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i got the screamon deamon coil and wires and honestly it wasn't worth the 140+ bucks i spent on it. yes it smoothed out the idle and yes i did feel a slight difference in acceleration and i mean slight. but it's up to you in what u want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts