Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like someone slid a bag or something across the hood of my car and there are scratches from about my headlight up and to about the middle of the hood... Ive been using a black wax but my dad just told me i NEED to get it repainted...

any thoughts or suggestions?

Should i just save up my money and buy a pre-painted better hood, or drop the money into the car to have the hood repainted now?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
depending on how bad the scratches really are (pics???), i would save up for a new hood....i want me a lil carbon fiber one anyway....but it's a long time comin'

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hood is dirty as HELL because they are doing construction right next to the senior parking lot at school... and i can only wash her on weekends... but heres some pics...

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
you can have that buffed out. they may be a bit large, but they dont seem to be too deep. can you see primer? i would buy a some cheap compound and DIY. wait for a CF hood if you wanna spend money on your hood.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried meguires scratch remover... didnt work at ALL.

They arent too deep but i think i can see primer... Its definitly through the clear coat... and if you look closely you can see white in the scratches....

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
i say try to get some compound and try to wrk it in, and maybe tape it off, f compound works and just get some clearcoat, and clearcoat just that lil area, save ya some bucks, or get s CF hood [:D]

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Nightm4re said:
I tried meguires scratch remover... didnt work at ALL.

They arent too deep but i think i can see primer... Its definitly through the clear coat... and if you look closely you can see white in the scratches....
First of all for ScratchX to work you really have to put your elbow in to it. It is not a wipe on wipe off product. Work the product hard untill it becomes clear. (about 30 full sec.) wipe it off. Repeat. It may take 4 - 5 times. It just depends on how badly you want the scratch removed.

Secondly, if you see primer then the scratch is too deep. And NO product will fix it by polishing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got most of them buffed out.... They are still noticible but only if you are looking for them. You can only see them within 2 feet though.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Nightm4re said:
Can i get it buffed out? or get it repainted?
Like I said if you see primer then the scratch is too deep. buffing will help the apperance of the scratch but it will not remove a scratch that deep.

You can see that in order to remove these below surface defects you need to remove the highest areas of the paint until they are level with the lowest depths of the deepest scratches. In essence, you must remove paint. if the scratch is down to the primer and cut throught the base coat (color) then you can see buffing will not fix that. sorry. the only way to completely remove that scratch would be to have it repainted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts