Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Foci SE 2.0L Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new guy here. Bought a 2.0L 2014 SE with the 5 speed. Shortly after buying I was driving with the windows down and noticed a scraping sound coming from the passenger front. Sounds like that light scraping you get when pads are low, only it’s at at a dead stop. Popped my hood and it appears to be coming from the front engine cover somewhere and increases with RPM. Sprayed all the pulleys while it ran to see if it was a pulley squeal and doesn’t appear to be. I thought perhaps alternator bearing, but the sound seems to be internal. Sounds high up too, like where the camshaft would sit. I’ve seen about 2-3 other Foci pull up to gas pumps that had the same sound and about 10 others with no sound at all. Some are very slight, some very pronounced. Can’t find ANYTHING on YouTube or this site regarding this. Any ideas? I’m just hoping it’s not a main bearing, scraped up cam lobe, or something expensive. 😂

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
2,036 Posts
You didn't mention how many miles are on it.
However, I owned a high mileage(171k) 2012 for 50k miles and currently own a 2013 with over 112k on it and I hear no such sound. My nephew's 2014 also makes no such sound either with like 85k on it.

Take off the accessory belt and start it to see if the sound goes away or not. That'll let you know if it's an internal or external engine issue. The other thing that's an in between would be the timing chain/guides: 2014 FORD FOCUS 2.0L L4 Engine | RockAuto

I'd get a quality mechanic's stethoscope like the Lisle 52500 to pin down where exactly it's coming from.

·
Registered
2014 Foci SE 2.0L Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't mention how many miles are on it.
However, I owned a high mileage(171k) 2012 for 50k miles and currently own a 2013 with over 112k on it and I hear no such sound. My nephew's 2014 also makes no such sound either with like 85k on it.

Take off the accessory belt and start it to see if the sound goes away or not. That'll let you know if it's an internal or external engine issue. The other thing that's an in between would be the timing chain/guides: 2014 FORD FOCUS 2.0L L4 Engine | RockAuto

I'd get a quality mechanic's stethoscope like the Lisle 52500 to pin down where exactly it's coming from.
Purchased at 107k miles, now has 115k miles. That was gonna be my next task, taking the belt off to see if it’s still there. I do have a mechanics stethoscope and poked around a bit, but the sound was nearly the same in all areas near the timing cover. Sounded most pronounced near the upper area of the timing cover, so perhaps its the timing chain/guides. Thank you so much for the link! Gonna have to just dig into it this weekend. 😎👍🏻

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
2,036 Posts
Purchased at 107k miles, now has 115k miles. That was gonna be my next task, taking the belt off to see if it’s still there. I do have a mechanics stethoscope and poked around a bit, but the sound was nearly the same in all areas near the timing cover. Sounded most pronounced near the upper area of the timing cover, so perhaps its the timing chain/guides. Thank you so much for the link! Gonna have to just dig into it this weekend. 😎👍🏻
I hope that it's not the timing parts. I believe that'll require special tools and it'll take a lot of care and time to complete. It'll probably be a pita to do going from what I've read.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.