Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, last thursday I had to drive up near Richmond VA, and since I had a few extra days, I decided to take the 'roads less travelled' on the way home.

I drove through southern VA heading southwest, into North Carolina. I stopped in a place called Roxbury on Friday night. They had an 1/8th mile dragstrip, so I gave it a few runs. I didn't do so well, but I had street tires on, a fully loaded car (luggage, cooler, spare tire, tools) and very little nitrous left from 'testing' a bit with a few cars that wanted to play on the highway during the trip up 1-95. I ran into a guy running a Zx4 out there, but it was mostly stock.

I ran a best of 10.1, which is a far cry from the 8.849 I've done here locally on our track. But it was fun to meet racers from another area, and see how they did things (wet t-shirt contests at a dragstrip?? who'd have thunk? Someone should suggest that to the O-town guys)

After that, I headed out again. I ended up cruising over near the Blue Ridge Mountains, so I decided to run the car on the "tail of the Dragon" on the NC/Tenn border. That was fun, I ordered some pics from dragonslayer.com, if you are interested you can find them on the Saturday Aug 26 page19 and 20 of the cars. I wil probably order some from killboy.com also once I see them on wednesday.

While I was out there, I drove the Smokey Mountain Parkway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway, and then used US129 to get out going south, which is a great drive by itself.

My car really got some cornering time, I've pretty happy with the way it handled itself. Only one near mishap, and that was my fault, I came into the 1st switchback on the Dragon a bit too hot, and almost tipped the car (two wheelin!!) I was able to correct the car and put it back down and still pull through without leaving the road, but it was a bit unnerving. I had just forgotten how some of those corners have banks that hinder instead of help and this was one of them. It isn't as noticable on a bike, but I remember noticing it when I was there last time on my little suzuki.

After that I basically just hit back roads all the way to Macon, GA. Then I was running low on time, the GF was gettin mad at me taking so long to get home, etc... So I hit the interstates the rest of the way.

I only saw 2 Foci that looked modded, a white zx3 with a body kit and big rally style fogs on the front, I played with him at some decent speeds on 1-95 between Daytona and St. Augustine on my way up, and then in Murphy NC I saw a saleen N20 Focus at a rest stop, but the guy was headed to the toilet, and I didn't feel like waiting around for him to return.

Anyway, it was a fairly entertaining trip, I'll get some pics put up soon.

·
Something goes here
8,284 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip Scott [thumb]
One of these days Ill go and run the Dragons tail, but only after I install my new suspension.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
macon, ga.. man you were only about 20 min north of me. and im assuming you hit i75 the way down which shot right past Warner robins, where im from.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
damn, that does sound like a lotta of fun. glad you came outta that one ok
oh, yeah, u should have made it farther down on 75 i could have gotten on the highway, i know how it is not having decent foci round ya, its cold air intake land over here!!
[spank]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my computer is now officially dead... boo..

I'll have to get pics up later, sorry guys... I'm not allowed to crap up my fiance's comp with all my digi-cam stuff.

I didn't use 1-75 much, I shot across I-16 to I-95 instead, I like I-16, there's never anyone on it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts