Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who goes to school? where do you go to school?

i am looking for the second half of my college career. any any comments suggestions and opinions are appreciated. i have no idea how to pick a school or a major. [dunno]

I like the ^^^^smiley's lately, no idea why.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i go to school. I go to NHTI. Its a community college. Its nice and all but wouldn't recommend it unless you are wanting to get a start on a nursing, IT or something else specific that they do well.

You looking for an instate or outta state college?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I go to SNHU. its cool i guess. compared to manchester community college (where i went before) its great, but for a university, i really have nothing to compare it to. Its primarily a business college. Unless you get a crap-ton of financial aid, like i do, im not sure if its worth it, unless you like the small school enviornment. you cant go a day walking around campus without bumping into a bunch of people you know already.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i go to school. I go to NHTI. Its a community college. Its nice and all but wouldn't recommend it unless you are wanting to get a start on a nursing, IT or something else specific that they do well.

You looking for an instate or outta state college?
I used to go there, lived in Strout hall...it was an decent school...I just partied too hard lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Unless your parents are footing the bill college should be a value added purchase. Don't do a specialized trade school unless you are already working in that field. They charge too much. A local community college is where you start. Treat it like a job. Actually read the dam text book and study. It's all about discipline... if you have trouble staying on task... Get your head straight before you waste the money. If you like to party and half ass your way through things, think about joining the military first. It will give you a few years to get it out of your system, and teach you a little discipline.... besides parting in other countries... with guys about your same age is pretty cool.

In community college take the AA classes. Your ultimate goal should be a BA/BS at a state run 4 year school. Stay away from liberal arts ( Teacher pay sucks and that is probably the highest paying gig with an English degree) and two year certifications. After two years at CC transfer to a big 4 year school for in-state tuition. Calculus and Chemistry are your big challenges. Engineers make fat bank because math sucks. If you can buckle down and rock Calculus 1,2,3 then get an engineering degree. If math kicks your ass settle for a business degree.

If you can find a night job to offset the cost great. If not only take the loans you absolutely have to.

The degree will always get you an interview. After that..... it is up to you.

And don't cheat. Why would you pay for something then half ass it. I'm sure you slept and cheated through your free Public education.... but now it is time to put the big boy paints on and actually try….. lets face it if you tried through high school you would already be accepted into a good 4 year university.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm going to put a different perspective on this and maybe make somebody feel better about their choices in life.
I know a handful of engineers very well civil engineers, mechanical engineers and environmental engineers. None of them work in engineering they left the field I'm going to tell you why.
Two of them are brothers one was a civil engineer the other a environmental engineer they own a chain of gas stations and subways. Their father started the business. The environmental engineer left from all the traveling he wanted to have a family and actually be in their lives. The civil engineer while he liked the firm he worked in he knew 20 years later he would be doing the exact same thing repetitive work in the same position. My sister-in-law's husband was a mechanical engineer one day he stood up from his cubicle and he looked around and said I can't do this anymore. He's now a full time fireman it worked out great because his wife ended up having serious health issues. He was able to be there for her as a fireman. Most engineers make good money some very good, and the small minority make excellent money.

My sister-in-law's husband the mechanical engineer told me most people who go to school for engineering could give a shit about working as an engineer. They simply want to earn the title prove they were able to get through the school.

My wife and I both have associate's degrees we live in the southeast, our household income will be $115,000 this year. She's a registered nurse I work in sanitation she uses her education I do not.

Personally I wish they would remove community out of community college just call it college. Most of the people who work in the medical field come from 2 year schools.

I worked in a senior center for 2 years I know plenty of older adults who regret their career choices. Don't pick something just for money pick something you can live with.

My education regret was getting a associate's degree in automotive technology. I should have went for CNC machining instead.
My little brother has an associate's degree in horticulture and a bachelor's degree in ministry, and he works as a lumberjack operating logging equipment.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts