Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been a long time since I've been on this forum, but I'm back here today because I'm curious about the new generation of ST's.

I've been thinking about getting back into a Focus because I remember the reasons I liked my 07 ZX3, only this time, if I do it, the ST would be the only option. Its the only Focus that I find interesting now days, and it has admirable performance numbers.

The problem is all the stories I'm seeing about blown engines and other failures. Even the majority of the examples I'm seeing for sale online have rebuilt titles (in my area anyway, I once saw 4 listed with rebuilt titles), and lack of information on what caused them to be totaled.

There are two in my area right now being offered in the $10k range with rebuilt titles. The owner of the red one told me that the hood, headlight, and bumper had to be replaced. Are these items really enough to total the vehicle? If so, $10k seems like a steal, but It seems more likely this person his hiding some other major damage.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/peoria-2016-ford-focus-st/7018757031.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/scottsdale-2014-ford-focus-st-3-fully/7007325801.html

It just seems to me that either EVERYONE is modifying these cars and breaking them, or I'm only seeing stories from the people who are. So is this actually a reliable vehicle if the engine performance is left alone/done right? What are your opinions on these rebuilt title ones in Phoenix?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it seems like nobody wants to talk about it.

That's fine, I'm thinking a 2012 V6 mustang may be a better place to put my money anyway.

·
So mote be it
8,908 Posts
how mechanically savy are you? Do you feel you can sniff out poorly put back together cars? I wouldnt be interested in a salvage ST unless i got it for under $10k. Will your insurance company insure one?

I am not sure if i buy the whole total the car for just a minor fender bender... Look at used prices for clean title, low mileage 16+ are all around $16-18k. Ford does charge like a $1k per headlight for the oem HID ones, figure another few grand for oem bumper/fenders/hoods, then whatever labor is on paint and body work. I dont know what % their insurance companies would consider a total but "minor accident" totalling up to 80% of the value sounds like a stretch.

Otherwise the ST if farily robust and doesnt have many issues when treated right. Can you kill the motor, sure. The biggest issue is LSPI, happens when you give the car high load in a high gear at low rpm. Easily avoidable by down shifting into 4th if you want to gun it. Plenty of happy ST owners, some that go crazy with modifying and some that are happy keeping it stock. Go test drive one

·
Registered
975 Posts
The owner of the red one told me that the hood, headlight, and bumper had to be replaced. Are these items really enough to total the vehicle?
I call BS on an insurance company totaling a 2016 ST with only 15K miles for a hood, headlight and bumper. They usually total once the damage hits ~70% of the car's value. Those bolt-on parts aren't anywhere near that. I'd suspect frame damage, along with a busted radiator, AC components, etc. If you're really interested, pay to get it inspected up on a rack.

I would only consider a used ST if it was stock and with a clean title.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I've still been watching to see what pops up on craigslist.

I still need to sell my 4runner first anyway, but for the right price maybe I'll end up with one of these. I would just really prefer one that isn't modified by the previous owner, and they all seem to have at least intake, exhaust, and tunes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Once the Air bags go off you can just about count on it being totaled. Can you really guarantee that by just replacing the air bags the system is working just like it came from the factory? Then if it is involved in another accident and the air bags do not go off ( for any reason) you are going to find yourself being sued.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
A intake, d/p w/ a tune helps spool the turbo quicker= less throttle. As far as the cat back systems, I'm not a fan of loud exhaust as you can checkout my album pix & notice 3 mufflers that I run w/ my Borla system.......IDK what style you like or prefer '13/'14 or the '14/'15...I like the earlier style myself. Happy hunting......oh & no white's......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts