Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no problems *knock on wood* with my car what-so-ever. I would just like the regular servicing. I have almost 11,000 miles and have done the regular oil changes.
To the maim question. Should I or shouldn't make the trip down there for whatever.
P.S. how do I schedule an apppointment

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'd say to read up in the owner's manual for what's really required & when, that way you can have anything done you can't get to yourself & not be "sold" on a list of unnecessary "maintenance".

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I didn't know it would be in the manual. Good to know, thanks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm not familiar with how they printed the info. for the MkIII manual, mine has a separate maint. book that's a PITA to read compared to others I've seen.

Listing each service with what's required then might be handy when looking at each interval by itself, hard to scan to check the intervals for each item.

A chart listing items vs. mileages (checkbox for each item at the mileage due) is MUCH easier to read for planning.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The number one item is always the oil change.
Then (check) air filter, windshield wiper blades
eventually spark plugs, brake fluid replacement.
Watch the wear on brake pads
tire wear,

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can look up the schedule here.

It's really just oil and filter changes until 100K. If I were you I would change coolant, transmission fluid, and brake fluid earlier.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have actually looked in my manual to do my first oil change, lifting my car, and looking at the fuse positions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As mentioned above, oil changes up to about 100,000. I have used the Ford "The Works" program for a few years now on both Focus, my Escape and my 150 and covers all the checks. Around here it's $39.95 (sometimes dealer special for $29.95) and there is usually a $10.00 rebate coupon(mail-in) available. In my case I wait for the car, about a 1/2 hour and everything is checked. Can't hardly do it myself for that cost.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I second having "The Works" done at our local Ford dealer - you won't find many places that will do an oil change with synthetic blend, a tire rotation, brake inspection, and a multi-point vehicle inspection for $39.95. And if you're a member of Ford Owner Advantage Rewards (free), you get every fifth oil change free.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
MK3 Maintenance

Engine oil: check dipstick at least monthly.
Oil change schedule attached below.
Oil Filter: FL-910S

Engine coolant: check monthly; only top off with Motorcraft Orange Antifreeze; check coolant strength every 6 months; replace at 100,000 miles

Automatic transmission fluid: Check fluid level at each oil change; Replace every 150,000 miles

or

Manual transmission oil: Replace every 150,000 miles

Spark plugs: replace every 100,000 miles

Belts: inspect and replace as needed at 100,000 miles

Battery connections: check every 6 months

Fuel filter: a lifetime fuel filter is integrated with
the fuel tank. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed

Washer fluid check: check fluid level monthly; use a methyl alcohol based fluid in cold climates to avoid feezing

Wiper blades: replace if degraded

Cabin air filter: replace every 20,000 miles-Motorcraft FP-70 Cabin Air Filter

Air filter: Replace every 30,000 miles- Motorcraft FA-1908

Tires: rotate and check tread depth at each oil change

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
For all your Ford Maintenance Schedule Needs and downloading manuals in PDF, the Ford Fleet website is where it's at:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance

Either type your VIN in or selection your year and model and you can get a nice maintenance schedule chart.

Your manual will also list Motorcraft Part Numbers for Engine Air Filter, Cabin Air Filter, Wiper Blades, Oil Filter, and Battery, all of which can be order cheaply through Amazon or O'Reilly Auto Parts.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/brand.oap?mn=Motorcraft&mc=MOT

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also, don't let your dealer talk you out of the Normal Schedule. If you do anything more frequent than Ford recommends, read up on it and understand why you chose to do so.

My dealer defines Extreme Hot conditions as anything above 75° and Extreme Cold as anything below 75° (joking, but they keep insisting on 'Severe' without any rationale to back it up).

On our vehicles, Ford does list routine Brake Fluid Replacement in the recommended maintenance schedule. I do believe there is a test for the fluid moisture content which could be used as a criteria.

You should also not be opening the brake fluid reservoir, let alone topping it off. Your brake system is sealed and should not 'lose' fluid. Most modern systems have a low fluid sensor which is indicative of a leak or your brake calipers being extended too far (worn brake pads). Topping off your brake fluid defeats the functionality of this sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts