Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first brand new car, and the 5000 mile service interval is coming up. I was wondering if I need to have the dealer fill out the log in the owners manual? I want to make sure I have detailed records of service on this car.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Save your receipts.

IMHO they are of more value, note how that log refers to receipt numbers for more detail.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Get yourself an empty folder and store everything in the folder. Anyway, when you go in, it's written on the invoice the amount of miles your car has so easy to order if needed. I have everything in a big folder, from the sale contract to the regular maintenance and even buyings parts for the car.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Get yourself an empty folder and store everything in the folder. Anyway, when you go in, it's written on the invoice the amount of miles your car has so easy to order if needed. I have everything in a big folder, from the sale contract to the regular maintenance and even buyings parts for the car.
That's the best way to do it IMO.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
BTW - you might want to check your book for actual recommended service intervals, other than oil changes as recommended by the oil change indicator I think they start at 10,000 mi..

Many like to do oil changes/tire rotations at shorter intervals by preference.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I got a folder set aside with "FORD MAINT. RECORDS" written on it :) Now, the dealer I bought it from and will be using for service sent me a letter stating the 5000 mile service is for: an oil change, tire rotation, and multi-point inspection. -- Do the factory Conti's really need to be rotated every 5k? I thought 10k was the normal these days.

Thanks again for your input guys, I really appreciate it!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Thanks guys, I got a folder set aside with "FORD MAINT. RECORDS" written on it :) Now, the dealer I bought it from and will be using for service sent me a letter stating the 5000 mile service is for: an oil change, tire rotation, and multi-point inspection. -- Do the factory Conti's really need to be rotated every 5k? I thought 10k was the normal these days.

Thanks again for your input guys, I really appreciate it!
10K between rotations is slightly too long and promotes uneven wear to the point of needing new tires sooner. 7500 is pushing it a bit, but basically with every oil change the tires should be rotated to allow for more even wear rates.

The rear tires don't tend to wear as quickly as the fronts as most of the time they just hold the car up off the ground.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10K between rotations is slightly too long and promotes uneven wear to the point of needing new tires sooner. 7500 is pushing it a bit, but basically with every oil change the tires should be rotated to allow for more even wear rates.

The rear tires don't tend to wear as quickly as the fronts as most of the time they just hold the car up off the ground.
That makes sense! The 10k rotation was for my RWD truck;maybe that's why it was a longer duration. Thanks![twothumbs]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally making it to the dealer in the morning @ 5600 miles. I haven't had the CHANGE OIL SOON popup yet, do they reset that even if it isn't showing yet?

·
Registered
159 Posts
How much is the dealer charging you for tire rotations?

You can get lifetime tire rotations (every 7,500 miles) from Wal-Mart for $9 per tire for tires not purchased from them (such as your OEM tires). Or your Ford dealer has "The Works" which includes an oil change with tire rotation for a reasonable price:

• Synthetic Blend Oil Change
• Tire Rotation and Pressure Check
• Brake Inspection
• Multi-Point Inspection
• Fluid Top-Off
• Battery Test
• Filter Check
• Belts and Hoses Check

The Works runs $40 though there is a $10 mail in rebate through March 31 '15 (you have to print and take in a coupon for that, do a google search on "Ford The Works" to find the coupon from the Ford site).

On other normal maintenance items make sure you read the manual and see what it recommends before talking to the dealer. I assume the Ford dealer is like other dealers in that they will add stuff to maintenance packages to boost the price. Thus don't go in and say "I need the 15,000 mile service package", say "what is in your 15,000 mile service package?" (and compare that to what the manual says).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tire rotation was $14.95 OTD. Used up my free 1st oil change voucher. In and out in about an hour, gave me time to lust after the Mustangs lol. And I make sure they only do what the manual says. I'm not paying for frivolous items.

·
Registered
159 Posts
...And I make sure they only do what the manual says. I'm not paying for frivolous items.
I remember with my Accord (bought new in '98) the 30,000 maintenance was pretty basic, maybe $50 or $60 worth of stuff.

The dealer wanted $150 because they wanted to adjust the valves, or something like that. How many people question what the dealer (especially a typical Honda buyer) suggests?

When it comes time to replace your tires, if you buy from a place like Discount Tire you will get free lifetime rotations. Maybe your Ford dealer too, I don't know.

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Go here:

Official Ford Owner Site

Register and you can keep your maintenance logs there. If a Ford dealership does the maintenance, the service will be logged to your page automatically. You can also hook up your vehicle to the site using your SYNC/MFT.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I installed a car log application on my phone (Gas Cubby) - it allows me to enter service and fuel events - it is so easy to look up a particular job done on my car, especially as I do lots of maintenance myself, so there is no paper document for this. It keeps adding the service and fuel costs - gives me a good perspective for the car ownership.
I do keep the invoice documents together with the car papers just in case.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Go here:

Official Ford Owner Site

Register and you can keep your maintenance logs there. If a Ford dealership does the maintenance, the service will be logged to your page automatically. You can also hook up your vehicle to the site using your SYNC/MFT.

I think they just changed the site...I had an "Works" appointment scheduled for Friday but I need to change it and now no where on the site can I schedule or change my appointment. 2 weeks ago when I scheduled it I had a completely different UI...[???:)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts