Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
A membership fee is all that it takes to join. About $40 per year (mine is about to expire. So, it may have gone up).

Depending on how far you want to take your racing career, there is always additional $$ involved.

To get an SCCA autocross "license", all you need to do is show up at an event. If you are new to SCCA, they usually put you in a novice category for the first year. You can decline that, but I recommend against it. especially if you are a part time autocrosser with only a few events. That way you aren't discouraged when the "big dogs" come out and blow most everyone's times out of the water.

For road racing, the equation is different. A lot more $$ involved. First, you need an SCCA approved car and class. Second, it has to pass a technical and safety inspection. Do your homework. You can spend a lot of money on a car and still have it fail the inspection and that prohibits you from getting on the track.

Finally, time to go to school. You must attend at least one SCCA race school before you are allowed to compete. If you prove yourself, you can get signed off at your first school and in theory could go racing at the next event. If not, you attend at least one more school before you are given your rookie stripes.

The schools run about $300 each.

So, is it worth it? Depends on how far you want to take things. If you are interested in only doing track days instead of full blown races, I would say no. However, if you really want to go racing, you are forced into the SCCA procedures for becoming a licensed driver.

Hope that helps.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
so for autoX becoming a scca member do you need to go to the school, or do you just pay the 40 and save 5-10 bucks each time you go A/X?

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
^^ Autocross requires no formal training to get started, all you need is a membership and to show up.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Yep. Frush got it right.

Big $$$ come into play for their road racing series

1 - 5 of 5 Posts